Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Can't find book on my Kindle

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 28 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 3, 2011 11:06:12 PM PDT
C. Krall says:
My Kindle is full-really really full-and I cant find a book that I purchased on May 15th. I started reading it, then downloaded some more books, and the book I was reading disappeared. the Search feature doesn't seem to work, and I've tried downloading the book again, and it says its been successfully sent to my Kindle. Any suggestions on how to find the book? I have 178 pages of books,a nd I've searched thru them 3 times. Not looking foward to trying to search thru all those pages again. :-(

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2011 11:14:35 PM PDT
JES says:
Did you check your archives?

Posted on Jun 3, 2011 11:48:24 PM PDT
Artist says:
Change your sort order to Most Recent (top right of Kindle screen) to see if it will move to the top of the list.

Posted on Jun 4, 2011 12:20:15 AM PDT
Carbonbased says:
When you say the search feature doesn't seem to work--do you mean nothing happens? Or does it finish and say 0 items found? If nothing happens, even if the little wheel in the upper left corner has disappeared, it's not done searching. You might have to fiddle with the 5-way every now and then to keep it from going to sleep before it's done.

Seriously--178 pages? You should consider some sort of collections.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2011 7:00:25 AM PDT
loriltx says:
I've had this happen with a couple of books I was reading. Finally, I just used the back button and lo and behold it took be back to my book. Yet, the book still was not listed on my home page. Didn't really matter once I realized I could get back to the book to read it.

Posted on Jun 4, 2011 7:14:41 AM PDT
Daisy says:
@C. Krall,

Why don't you move your books to your archives, set up some collections, move the books back to your home screen, and then into the collections?

Posted on Jun 4, 2011 7:26:47 AM PDT
dawnsong says:
I could not find Self-Reliance by Ralph Waldo Emerson in my archives. Searching for "Emerson" or "Ralph" didn't work and with sort by author it wasn't listed under the E's. Finally found it by searching for "Waldo". Turns out the metadata was causing two problems. The author for that book is stored as "Emerson,Ralph Waldo" with no spaces around the comma. The search function searches for whole words only and considers "Emerson,Ralph" to be a single word. Furthermore, sort by author put it under the W's.

Posted on Jun 4, 2011 6:05:28 PM PDT
C. Krall says:
Ok, I resorted my books by author and finally found it. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Posted on Jun 4, 2011 9:31:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 4, 2011 9:31:36 PM PDT
I have a few collections set up, but I'm very absent minded, so I have one collection called "currently reading", where I put the one or two books that I'm in the middle of.

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 6:38:34 AM PDT
Breanna Mies says:
I was right in the middle of a great book I just downloaded, went to read one night and all of the sudden all I have on my screen for that book was the old sample?? How do I get my book back, can't find it anywhere and really don't want to pay twice for one book :(

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2012 6:44:12 AM PDT
Breanna, any book you purchased/downloaded from Amazon is stored for you in your archive. Since you didn't mention which Kindle you have, it's hard to tell you how to find the book you're "missing." If it really isn't on the device, you could go to your Manage Your Kindle page here on Amazon, and resend the book to your device. Of course you'll need to turn on your WiFi first.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2012 5:14:37 PM PDT
How to get to archives

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2012 5:14:39 PM PDT
How to get to archives

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2012 7:20:30 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 22, 2012 11:18:53 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2012 7:21:31 AM PDT
ButtonLee says:
Tess Gerristons new book

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2012 7:29:41 AM PDT
You REALLY need to delete your personal information. This is a PUBLIC customer discussion forum, not Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012 10:52:23 AM PDT
Tammy says:
I've archived some books and they aren't showing in my archive. I have the droid app on my phone. When I go on line, I can see them there but when I click on them, it wants me to pay for them again.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012 11:41:52 AM PDT
C. Krall: WHY is your Kindle so full? If you carry a great many books onboard, finding particular items can become cumbersome (as you noted) and the Kindle functions themselves become boggy and sluggish.

I'd suggest you archive, i.e. remove from device, at least 2/3rds of your content, especially books already finished and those you don't intend to be reading very soon.

All books acquired from Amazon --not from outside sources, however-- are automatically stored for you in your account's archive/cloud. Which means that you can safely remove a book from your Kindle and then re-download it free, anytime, at will, within 60 seconds or so.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012 11:49:02 AM PDT
Tammy: Amazon-acquired books are auto-archived. Is it possible you are associated with multiple accounts? One for the droid app on your phone and one for 'when you go online'?

When you go online and see the books, make note of which account you are in. Then, verify that your droid app is registered to the same account.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012 11:51:30 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 1, 2012 12:00:11 PM PDT
Robert J: Which device are you asking about?

On the eink Kindles, there is an entry (looks like all the book titles) for 'archives'. It could be alphabetically located or at the very end, depending upon how you sort your list. On the Fire, use the 'Book" tab and "Cloud" (not device).

You could also go online to Amazon's website > Manage Your Kindle and the entire list of books (both onboard and archived) will come up. You can direct particular titles from there back to your Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 5:15:16 AM PDT
Tammy says:
I only have one account for the kindle. I've read nine books and only seven have archived, I'm afraid to achive my last book.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 5:46:59 AM PDT
Just Peachy says:
What do you mean only 7 have archived? Unless you deleted it from the Manage Your Kindle page all 9 books should be there.

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 7:44:48 PM PDT
memoe says:
Ok, I am new to this whole Kindle thing and totally lost and angry. I bought a book last nite, I was charged and it is no where to be found on my Kindle. Not in Archives or anywhere else. Just Kendle User's Guide. What is going on? I'm about to return it and just read a book with paper...LOL

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 8:39:01 PM PDT
flipoid says:
Have you gone (on your computer) to your Manage Your Kindle page and clicked on the "Deliver to..." action and selected your Kindle?

Also, make sure that your wireless is on (either wi-fi or 3G, depending on which Kindle you have) and that you press "Menu" then "sync and check for items" to make sure the book has downloaded.

Posted on Jun 4, 2014 6:01:19 PM PDT
jenny nabors says:
Bought the green mile book. It went to my phone but not kindle. How
do I find it?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
News: Kindle for iOS Update 4.9 Now Available
0 1 day ago
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Announcement
Meet other story lovers at Write On by Kindle
60 10 days ago
Announcement
Enjoy your print books and personal documents on your Kindle with Kindle Convert.
0 Feb 2, 2015
We're So Quirky, Our Chihuahuas Ride Bicycles! So Geese and Tally Ho! 8920 1 minute ago
Rereading Books 22 2 minutes ago
Why do I need wifi on my Paperwhite just to purchase books? 41 3 minutes ago
Al's Place 35mm 8328 3 minutes ago
Error Code: License error 26 6 minutes ago
RAOK 82 has a spring in its step! 2313 7 minutes ago
Books: Kindle Unlimited vs Amazon Prime 9 9 minutes ago
FREE Books & Chat - May 2015 858 9 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  28
Initial post:  Jun 3, 2011
Latest post:  Jan 26, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions