Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Bob Dylan Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation Learn more
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

What happened to Kindle Paperwhite Wifi???

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 49 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 29, 2013 11:04:51 AM PDT
Bob Boucher says:
It was there yesterday (when my existing Kindle died) but not today. What's up with that. I don't need the 3G version.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2013 11:07:09 AM PDT
Dittie says:
It wasn't there yesterday for the US. The refurb is available. The other option is to wait for an announcement and see what's new if it hasn't come back into inventory in the meantime.

Posted on Aug 29, 2013 11:52:17 AM PDT
Surveyah says:
Don't fool yourself.....and some point you WILL need the 3G.....count on it...lol

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2013 12:09:55 PM PDT
S. Kessler says:
Nah. I have the wifi only and never needed 3G.

Posted on Aug 29, 2013 12:12:16 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 6, 2013 9:20:07 AM PDT
PW WiFi only (refurb) is available for around 99. The assumption is that a new Kindle with a light will be released soon.
e: New PW is out Sept 30 and 3G version is Nov 5

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2013 12:18:28 PM PDT
Surveyah says:
oh yeah? What if one day your in the middle of Nebraska....or Wyoming....and you desperately need to download Dantes Inferno? WHAT THEN BUCKAROO?? :)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2013 12:18:30 PM PDT
S. Kessler says:
This is about the time of year that Amazon announces new Kindle products. Although I have be so happy with the Paperwhite that I can't imagine what features a new version would have to have in order for me to upgrade again. I love my PW!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2013 12:21:22 PM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Why would we need the 3G?? I have had my first Kindle for 3 years and have never been in that situation.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2013 12:22:18 PM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Simple, I turn on the hot spot on my Android phone and then connect my Kindle to that. Pretty simple.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2013 12:23:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 29, 2013 12:25:27 PM PDT
S. Kessler says:
First, I sincerely hope I will never be stuck in the middle of Nebraska. Second, I have so many books that I haven't even started to read yet downloaded on the PW that I probably won't run out of reading material. Third, I live in NYC, where I have wifi at home and at work and in any number of nearby Starbucks and other places. I can even get wifi on most planes now if I'm desperate enough. And then, I also have an iPad with even more content to keep me busy. So, saving the $50 and just getting wifi made absolute sense for me.

Others may face entirely different conditions, of course!

They may actually live in the middle of Nebraska <shudder>. Then again, if they do, who knows if they get decent cellphone coverage?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2013 12:37:36 PM PDT
Surveyah says:
My condolences for living in NYC :)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2013 12:41:23 PM PDT
S. Kessler says:
Ha! We are the Center of the World! (Or did no one tell you that?)

Posted on Aug 29, 2013 12:53:23 PM PDT
Amazon 3G radios uses the AT&T network, which has the best coverage of rural America. It covers nearly all of the US.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2013 2:52:55 PM PDT
But Boston is the Hub of the Universe!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2013 2:55:12 PM PDT
S. Kessler says:
I love Boston, but NYC is, well, NYC.

Posted on Aug 29, 2013 2:57:22 PM PDT
S. Kessler says:
I also noticed that the wifi only PaperWhite is no longer available. There's a page for it, but says only that it's available from "these sellers" and then when I clicked on that, nothing was listed. So my guess is they've sold out and rather than back order, they expect to release something new, soon.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2013 3:13:09 PM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Actually Verizon has the best coverage nation wide. I have 2 brothers that are long haul truck drivers and they both say that most of the truck drivers they know use Verizon because of their coverage.

Posted on Aug 30, 2013 1:11:37 AM PDT
Lynn says:
Don't need the 3G. Need a wifi Paperwhite NOW! Feeling very jerked around by the Amazon bait-and-switch. Going on a trip in October and want a fully loaded one to take with me. So depressing. I notice Amazon is trumpeting their new Kindle availability in Mexico. If I drive over the border (not far for me) will they have the Paperwhite Wifi?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2013 2:01:32 AM PDT
Oh please. Are you really that childish? If any child of mine did a dummy spit like that because the toy they wanted NOW wasn't available, there'd be **no way** I'd be giving them one!

I don't think you understand what "bait and switch" is, either. Taking a product out of the range when new ones are due out is not bait and switch.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2013 4:14:27 AM PDT
Then go buy one at a STORE. Holy entitled amazeballs.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2013 4:32:42 AM PDT
Bait and switch? Are you freaking kidding me? Try Best Buy or Staples. But don't come back here shrieking if new models are announced in the next couple of weeks.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2013 4:34:31 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 31, 2013 12:06:19 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2013 5:54:53 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 30, 2013 6:13:25 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2013 5:58:03 AM PDT
Okay, if YOU don't get a spite-gram for that, then I really DO have a prejudiced target on my back!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2013 6:01:15 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 31, 2013 12:07:05 AM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  49
Initial post:  Aug 29, 2013
Latest post:  Aug 30, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions