Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Blake Shelton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation SnS
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Why do I have multiple Chinese Dictionaries on my account that I did not download, and Kindle will not give me the option to delete???!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 51 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 16, 2014 1:40:26 PM PST
sjc says:
Why do I have multiple Chinese Dictionaries on my account that I did not download, and Kindle will not give me the option to delete???!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2014 1:42:27 PM PST
 Ann says:
Your Kindle includes free dictionaries in all the languages your device supports. If you're interested in using them, you can just ignore them.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2014 2:27:56 PM PST
sjc says:
Thank you for your quick response. May I suggest to Amazon/Kindle management that you don't automatically deposit these freebies in my account without my permission - or at least give me the option of deleting them.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2014 2:31:21 PM PST
 Ann says:
To send feedback to Amazon, email kindle-feedback@amazon.com, or click the "Help" link at the top of any Amazon page, then the "Contact Us" button. You're talking to other customers here, and we can't do anything about it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2014 2:37:57 PM PST
The Chinese own our assess; may as well start learning the language now.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2014 2:39:41 PM PST
The multiple language User Guides and Dictionaries are considered a feature and so are built in to every Kindle library.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2014 4:33:17 PM PST
sjc says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2014 4:38:16 PM PST
Just Peachy says:
Then ignore them. They take up no space unless you download them to your Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2014 4:49:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2014 4:50:28 PM PST
J. Gatie says:
They aren't even on your device, so why do you care? Ignore them, use the time you save to help the homeless, or save the whales, or some other first world problem. Because on the list of "Things Worthy of Outrage Today", free Chinese dictionaries is somewhere between "Wanted Dijon and got French's Yellow" and "Oooh look, I found a quarter!".

Posted on Jan 16, 2014 4:56:58 PM PST
R. Wilde says:
Why do people only seem to complain about the Chinese dictionary, and not (for example) the Portugese?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2014 5:00:12 PM PST
sjc says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jan 16, 2014 5:18:47 PM PST
sjc says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2014 5:22:45 PM PST
J. Gatie says:
Ignore them and they will disappear to the end of the list. Keep trying to get rid of them, and they reappear at the top.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2014 5:22:45 PM PST
As noted above this is NOT customer service. We are other customers ONLY. Amazon does NOT monitor these forums.

As others have said, ignore them and they will go to the bottom of the list of books and you won't even see them. Spend your time on complaining about something important.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2014 5:23:45 PM PST
R. Wilde says:
Looking at my account, I'm showing Chinese, Japanese, Portugese, French, Italian and Spanish dictionaries that appear to be associated with the date I got my Kindle Fire HD.

There are also dictionaries in those languages, plus German, that appear to be associated with when I got a Paperwhite.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2014 5:26:16 PM PST
R. Wilde: Please read the other posts on this thread that explain what they are.

You can filter the list on the MYK page to show just Books, and then those others won't be listed.

Posted on Jan 16, 2014 5:27:21 PM PST
if you let just don't open them and let them fall to the back and open up the books you want to read, soon they won't be in the way

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2014 5:32:58 PM PST
 Ann says:
Select "Books" from the view menu to see only your books, and not the dictionaries. Amazon is in the process of rolling out a new MYK page that has Books as the default view, and dictionaries and user's guides in a separate category.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2014 5:54:07 PM PST
Again. This is a CUSTOMER Discussion board. Customers. Discussing. Your question has been asked and answered. You are welcome to contine stomping your feet here, but it will be to ZERO benefit.

Contact.Amazon.Customer.Service. if you want them to know how you feel. This is not Customer Service.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2014 5:57:42 PM PST
R. Wilde says:
Oh, I know... I was just commenting that these threads tend to be about the Chinese dictionaries, and I was just pointing out that there are other languages there too. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2014 6:34:34 PM PST
J. Gatie says:
I noticed that. The tone of the posts are tinged with a bit o' the ugly, too. Sad comment.

Posted on Jan 16, 2014 6:41:17 PM PST
For the life of me I cannot figure out what the problem is with receiving free dictionaries that don't take up any space. :z smh

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2014 6:49:48 PM PST
 Ann says:
I don't know why it's such a big deal either. I just looked, and I have 74 (yes, 74!) dictionaries and user's guides in my account. They do not keep me awake at night or raise my blood pressure or cause undue angst.

Posted on Jan 16, 2014 8:17:06 PM PST
Agreed. And I don't know why these people are even going to the MYK page in the first place. If I want to download a book to a device, I do so from the device. I guess maybe if I had a lot of samples, I might need to go there, but I don't. And I have no sympathy for people who downloaded 1000 free books that they were never going to read and now want to delete them.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2014 5:28:32 AM PST
J. Gatie says:
OCD riddled whackos with too much time on their hands. Amazon should give them free knitting, crochet or macrame starter kits.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  51
Initial post:  Jan 16, 2014
Latest post:  Jan 17, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions