Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Why do I need a keyboard?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 10, 2011 8:42:02 PM PST
Trying to find the best Kindle for me. Not sure why I would need a keyboard or color?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2011 8:47:45 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 10, 2011 8:47:58 PM PST
The Artist says:
You need a keyboard to make notes in your books (I've never done it), and to create titles for your collections. The Basic has a different kind of keyboard, kind of like a box that pops up and you choose one letter at a time.

You don't need color to read regular books. The fire doesn't even have an e-ink screen, it has a backlit lcd screen just like your phone or computer.

If all you want to do is read, get an e-reader and an external clip on light.

Posted on Nov 10, 2011 8:51:42 PM PST
Thank You

Posted on Nov 10, 2011 8:52:21 PM PST
SBlass says:
If you want to creat Collections to organize your ebooks (on a kindle) you need a keyboard to put in the names of the collections. You need a keyboard to search for specific titles in the kindle store. A keyboard helps when searching your books - either for text in the text of the book or for title or by author when you have 100s of books on the kindle and want to find a specific one without scrolling through many pages, or if you have put them in collections (which need a keyboard to create in the first place) and can't remember where you filed the book!

Posted on Nov 10, 2011 11:28:44 PM PST
Bookaholic says:
I like having a keyboard so I can look for books and authors in the Kindle store, which I do fairly often, and so I can look at web sites on WiFi. I wouldn't mind a touchscreen keyboard, but I don't think I'd like
a toggle keyboard - having to move a cursor with a toggle to each key.

Posted on Nov 10, 2011 11:36:01 PM PST
CBRetriever says:
I use the keyboard for looking up words in my english-french and french-english dictionaries

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2011 12:29:58 AM PST
Sue says:
I don't use the keyboard much but my son does when he switches his kindle to my account to borrow a book.

Posted on Nov 11, 2011 1:16:47 AM PST
Word games would be much easier with a keyboard, IMO.

Posted on Nov 11, 2011 1:30:04 AM PST
Carbonbased says:
It depends on your thumbtyping skills, but I use mine to take notes in meetings, using Notepad by 7 Dragons.

Posted on Nov 11, 2011 1:44:59 AM PST
Here are some ways the Kindle keyboard is used:

* Playing games (many of the games have keyboard shortcuts, or in the case of word games, you need to type out words)
* Searching on a name, word, or phrase within a book
* Looking up books by author or title in the Kindle store
* Using the web browser
* Going directly to a location in a book
* Making a note in a book
* Making collections
* Typing notes or entries in applications (things like calendars/planners and Notepad)
* Looking up a word in the dictionary (as in, not a word in the book you're reading, but just wanting to use the dictionary as a stand alone reference)
* Going directly to a page on your Home menu (if your books are sorted by Title or Author you can type a letter and immediately jump to the titles or author names that start with that letter, in any kind of sort order you can type a number and jump directly to that page of books)

With those things in mind, think about how much of that you think will apply to how you will use the Kindle, and also what sort of "key" entry you're most comfortable with.

The Kindle Basic has a virtual keyboard and input is done by moving a cursor around to select letters and symbols. Because of that, it's best for people who rarely use the keyboard.

The K3 (Kindle Keyboard) Has the physical keyboard with little buttons so they're accessible and easy to use all the time.

The Kindle Touch also has a virtual keyboard that you can make pop up on the screen, but entry is done by just tapping on the letters, so much easier to operate than the Basic.

Posted on Nov 11, 2011 2:34:16 AM PST
Amanda Green says:
Personally, I think the virtual keyboard on my K4 is faster than the real keyboard I had on my K2i. The page forward and page back buttons tab between letters and numbers, the virtual keyboard "wraps" so if you are all the way to the left another move left with the direction button brings you back to the right, and the entire thing is very quick and responsive. I have set up collections, searched the store, and searched my books, and all of it seemed easier than with my K2i.

So I guess I don't need a real keyboard. I don't play games on my Kindle though, that would make a difference.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2011 3:06:36 AM PST
Personally, I need a keyboard - since scrolling to type is not my thing. The only reason I opted for the Touch wifi for my Special Offers Kindle. Of course, despite disability, arthritis, and bad vision - I still retain some touch typing skills ;-)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Nov 10, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 11, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions