Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Will there be a new Kindle Keyboard?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-22 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 31, 2012 1:46:23 AM PDT
I jumped from the Kindle Keyboard to the Touch when the latter was released last year - and I regret it. I miss the hardware turn buttons and as far as I am concerned the build quality on the Keyboard and it's related case puts the Touch and case to shame.

Will there be a new revision of the Keyboard model? There is no way my wife will let me buy another Kindle that is identical to my old one.. what would you guys do in this situation?

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2012 2:05:32 AM PDT
Dragi Raos says:
We don't know, and Aunty Ammy is not telling...

Have someone "mistakenly" give you the "old" Kindle as a birthday present. One cannot refuse the birthday present! :o)

Posted on May 31, 2012 2:40:00 AM PDT
I returned my touch for the keyboard. I had the kindle 2 and loved it. Got caught up in the hype and gave granddaughter my k2 and got the touch. Really didn't like it. Couldn't ask for my k2 back so got the newest kk out there. Never been happier. Large button better than the toggle with all the updates. So I sure know where you are coming from. Try this with your wife..... Keep watching Target on line. When I got the kk they had it on sale for $99.00. So I save a LOT going that route. Amazon gave me my money back for the touch (I figured out I didn't like it in time to return it) so I came out ahead. I worry that they won't keep making the keyboards as this one will wear out some day.

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2012 2:43:02 AM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Never understood why people get the newest model available when the one they have works just fine.

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2012 2:44:09 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 31, 2012 2:44:47 AM PDT]

Posted on May 31, 2012 2:45:02 AM PDT
When I first received the Touch I thought if I gave it some time I would get used to the interface... never happened. I really should have just pulled the trigger and returned it and used the proceeds for a Keyboard.

I could live with the build quality if the touch had hardware turn keys - but I doubt they are going to make a re-appearance on the next (presumably lighted) model.

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2012 3:52:07 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 31, 2012 3:52:52 AM PDT
loriltx says:
There were rumors going around and some links to articles that indicated the keyboard kindles were being phased out. I didn't read the article(s) to know whether or not it was a lot of ado about nothing, but it did concern me enough that I went ahead and purchased a keyboard kindle even though my K2 was going strong.

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2012 5:23:43 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 31, 2012 5:25:24 AM PDT
The trick then, Jazzy, is to ask people. I got my K3 a couple of years ago and was quickly dependent on the little sucker. I had been reading what I could find in Mexico for 13 years and finally could read what I wanted to read. The thought of going back to life without a Kindle was unthinkable. And, I was reading posts from all of the children demanding an LCD screen, demanding to play more games, demanding...well...a tablet. A ran into a tourist who mentioned that he had a Nook color. I was interested in seeing it so every time our paths crossed I asked about it. Finaly he said, "It doesn't work outside so I leave it in my hotel room." Okay, not for me.

When the new batch of Kindles came out, I ordered the Kindle Basic. I like it but I might prefer my Kindle2 Keyboard better. My Kindle Basic is the $151 model--when you calculate shipping and taxes--and for me it's worth it. I did break one of my Kindles. My fault totally. I kept reading while I tracked the progress of the new Kindle to Mexico.

So, that's why I have a second, and newer, Kindle. What I don't understand are people who buy a $2,000 television and swear that only watch the news and a few shows on the History channel.

Posted on May 31, 2012 6:03:08 AM PDT
Steven says:
I like my Kindle Keyboard, but there are features on the Kindle Touch that I like. Although I've gotten used to the page turns and the interface of the KTouch and I like tapping on links or words with my finger instead of using the D-pad, the physical page turn buttons are still more convenient and I like having the Home, Back, and Menu buttons close together and accessible by my right thumb.

But if Amazon would issue one more update for the KK to add WPA2 Enterprise wifi compatibility, that would be fantastic.

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2012 6:29:18 AM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
I am with you there on televisions. I am still using a 9 year old crt 20" that I paid a little over a hundred dollars for. I don't plan on replacing it until it dies.

Posted on May 31, 2012 7:00:41 AM PDT
S. Dunham says:
Since the KK is still very popular and selling well, I would hope that Amazon will keep the KK in the Kindle line up. I loved my K2 but got the K3 when it came out because of the WiFi option. I passed my K2 to my husband...who accidently killed it. I grabbed 2 KKs in Novemeber when Best Buy had that sale. If Amazon does announce that they are phasing out the KK, I'll stock up on them. I wouldn't mind the Basic Kindle, but that one doesn't have the 3G service which I still use.

Posted on May 31, 2012 7:29:56 AM PDT
Andie says:
Why not check ebay? Would your wife let you "downgrade" if you got a used model on ebay? I saw some KK's on there recently in the 50$ range.

Posted on May 31, 2012 7:53:02 AM PDT
It was getting wi-fi that got me to get the kk. I did love my k2. Never went anywhere without it. Now my granddaughter does the same. With the wi-fi and that send to kindle thingie I can upload a ton of fan fiction in minutes. Flying out for an all day flight on Saturday and eveything is charged, loaded and ready to go. I like having 3g too. Was surprised on the touch it only connected to Amazon. Back to it's usually clunky but wonderful self with the kk. I too will be stocking up if and when Amazon does a really dumb thing and stops making them. Oh, I have the fire too, for games.... and reading in the dark, but it doesn't read to me (out loud) and that's something I MUST have. Long two day car trip this summer will put that to great use.

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2012 8:10:08 AM PDT
I bought 2 additional Kindle Keyboards when it became apparent that they were being phased out. Hubby bought a new iPad. I still have some spending to go to catch up to him. lol

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2012 8:15:00 AM PDT
S. Dunham - I doubt that Amazon will make an announcement. One day they just won't be available anymore. Already the WiFi only version is no longer offered on Amazon.

Posted on May 31, 2012 8:46:58 AM PDT
Josue says:
i really need to stock up on these. i would have to eventually renew when my current one dies but i want the keyboard with it

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 1:13:29 AM PDT
I have decided to flog the Touch on eBay, and see what I get for it.

However, I am being stupid and pondering waiting till July to see if the rumoured new Kindle's fix my issues. Almighty Amazon, give m a sign!

My luck, if I wait till July the entire supply of KKs will disappear off the face of the earth.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 2:37:16 AM PDT
A Customer says:
<< I am still using a 9 year old crt 20">>

You and some national hotel chains... :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 9:12:11 PM PST
RWise says:
I love to read and I love the smell and feel of a good book, I said I'd never buy a Kindle-but I was wrong. My son gave me a Keyboard Kindle 2nd generation and I love it. I take it everywhere with me- state to state, riding in the truck, waiting, to doctors appointment. My daughter bought the new Kindle Fire and loves it, but I tried it and didn't care for it. My husband wants to give me a new Kindle for Christmas. I've decided to get the newest Keyboard Kindle. It has everything I want on it. I'm going to give my grandson the old one.I hate to part with it because my son gave it to me. I hope that Amazon doesn't stop making the Keyboard Kindle with the whispernet, because I love the freedom it gives me.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 9:37:28 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 15, 2012 12:58:11 PM PST]

Posted on Aug 8, 2013 1:37:14 PM PDT
Liz says:
Dose Amazon still sell the kindle keyboard 3 new?????????? because all I can see is it says "used" and I can't see an "add to cart" HELP!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2013 1:43:57 PM PDT
No, they don't currently sell it new. It's been that way for several months now.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 8 days ago
Announcement
Meet other story lovers at Write On by Kindle
36 8 days ago
Announcement
Enjoy your print books and personal documents on your Kindle with Kindle Convert.
0 Feb 2, 2015
Dragi's Croatian Crab Shack and Wine Bar - The times they are a changin' 6775 20 seconds ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion III 9805 2 minutes ago
my actual name instead of "My Kindle" in upper left corner? 4 2 minutes ago
We're So Quirky, Our Chihuahuas Ride Bicycles! So Geese and Tally Ho! 1965 2 minutes ago
Marking I own It for items 2 10 minutes ago
How to transfer Sony Reader books to Kindle Fire 44 11 minutes ago
micro usb cable 14 14 minutes ago
How to delete books from Kindle Fire HD? 117 14 minutes ago
does Fire stick work on older HD TV's? 24 16 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  22
Initial post:  May 31, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 8, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions