Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Regular Kindle vs. Paperwhite.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 29, 2012 8:49:53 PM PST
Couple of questions:
Have a KK and it is really starting to bug me, on my second lighted cover and when i read at night in bed laying down it keeps falling off the little metal hooks so my light is constantly going off. I also have some cracks around the screen and the page turn buttons are on the way out, so I am due for an upgrade.

I have a regular Kindle sitting in my cart (the $89 one) but I am a little loathed to get another lighted cover - does anyone have a good suggestion for an alternative? I don't really like the blueish reading lights you can sometimes get.

The alternative is to wait for the Paperwhite (I am in Australia), but the only reason really I would get the Paperwhite is to alleviate the need for a lighted cover or separate light.

Suggestions please!!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 9:07:28 PM PST
I don't have the lighted cover for the basic Kindle so I can't judge the quality of the light it puts out, but it attaches in an entirely different way than the KK one does so at least you wouldn't have the same hinge problem. I do have the KK lighted cover and, personally, I've never been thrilled with the amount of light and I also don't like that it's not positionable. The only other lights I've tried that give sufficient light that isn't blue are the Mighty Bright 2, which, unfortunately is pretty cumbersome; and the M-edge E-luminator which isn't quite as much light as I'd like but it stays put, weighs very little and is a nice white-colored light. Also on the plus side, the Mighty Bright and the E-luminator can be used with other devices and covers, even print matter.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 9:17:36 PM PST
Thanks for you response! I have an itty bitty booklight which I love, it has a bulb so great white light, I am thinking that I might just use that and not bother with a lighted cover. How does the lighted cover attached to the Kindle 6''?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 9:23:28 PM PST
It doesn't even really attach. The Kindle inserts into the back of the case where there are two little points that touch the Kindle in order for the light to draw power. You can get a good idea by looking at the product page.

Amazon Kindle Lighted Leather Cover, Saddle Tan (does not fit Kindle Paperwhite, Touch, or Keyboard)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 9:36:28 PM PST
Just Theo says:
I have/had a Kindle Keyboard too and I had one of those m-edge lights that I loved. However, it was held in place my the m-edge case (which I also loved) and it was really hard to get the light into the pouch on the case. I usually ended up just holding the light in my hand against the kindle. This worked pretty good, but I'd get tired of holding it in place for a while. When my KK bit the dust, I really considered getting another one. I was really attached to mine and hated the thought of not getting another one. When I signed in to purchase a new one, it was the day the PW was announced. I almost didn't get one because I thought about how often I used my light for the KK (rarely) and felt that it wasn't worth it. I also hated touch screens. But I went ahead and got one and thought I would test it out and probably return it. I love love love my PW. I use the light all day. In bright settings, turning the light up makes the screen easier to see than the KK was during the day. I can turn it down in dimmer settings. No more wondering if I have batteries in my detachable light, etc. I would recommend it to anyone, and since you seem to use your light more than I did mine, this would really come in handy for you. When you get them in stores in Australia, go look at one and see what you think.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 9:41:16 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 9:42:27 PM PST
Thanks guys. I have decided to get the regular Kindle 6", I contacted support about the cracks around the screen and the probelms with the page turn buttons, they were good to offer me the 6" for $10 cheaper so I decided to take it. When the Paperwhite comes out I will check it out but like you zombie I can't stand touch screens so would like to see it first before outlaying the cost. I will just get a regular cover at this stage and see how the light goes that I have, but that lighted cover seems much better than the KK one!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 9:50:10 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 9:53:37 PM PST
I think you'll be quite pleased with the basic Kindle.

Another route you could go is to get a silicone skin like the one by Marware, and if you put a small slit in the edge, the E-luminator light will stay in place. I'd discovered that when I bought the M-edge silicone skin for KK just to get a free light but I didn't think I'd really use the skin and it turns out I prefer that to the cover I'd been using.

Marware SportGrip Silicone Skin Case for Kindle Cover, White (does not fit Kindle Paperwhite or Touch)

Here's a link to show you the light. I don't know if they ship to Australia but in the US, shipping is free and the light is included free with any e-ink reader cover. Go to medgestore dot com.

M-edge eLuminator Booklight Universal UN1-E3-ABS-W

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 1:47:29 AM PST
Thankyou very much! I read regularly at night in bed so the light is a big issue for me, but I think I should be able to use my itty bitty light with it once I get a plain cover for it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 6:36:08 AM PST
You're welcome. Happy reading!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 6:47:43 AM PST
A nice lamp?

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 8:21:19 AM PST
D. Pettiner says:
Either sit near a lamp (that is turned on) or set the house on fire and stay close. Both should provide plenty of light to read by.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 8:24:19 AM PST
quilt lover says:
I find that a burning house has too much of a yellow glow to read comfortably...

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 8:54:07 AM PST
Kathy says:
I also have a KK and an m-edge light that works fine. However, I read at night a lot and decided to try the Paperwhite. I LOVE it. Particularly the ability to adjust the brightness of the light in the screen so that it doesn't blind me when I wake up in the middle of the night and want to read (like my m-edge light always did). Plus, the old reading light was on a fold out arm that I was always bumping and having to re-adjust to get at the correct spot to light the entire page semi-evenly.

I'd suggest giving the Paperwhite a look when it comes out in your country if you do a lot of night reading.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 9:16:07 AM PST
KathyL says:
I agree. I also have a KK and use it with an m-edge light and really loved it. Like you I also decided to try the PW because I read a lot at night. I haven't used my KK since the PW arrived. I really, really love it. It's smaller and lighter although the screen is the same size and since the light is built into it, it doesn't add any more weight or space to it. I thought I wouldn't like the touch screen, but I find I don't mind it at all. The screen doesn't have a glossy surface so fingerprints don't show up on it. It took a little bit of time to get used to the differences between the two Kindles, but it didn't require a steep learning curve.

I would also recommend giving it a try when it becomes available to you.

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 10:37:57 AM PST
M42 says:
You tend to burn through a lot of batteries using a light for the regular Kindle. It would be more cost efficient in the long run to invest in a Paperwhite when they come available. In the alternative, have you considered the Fire? The second generation is pretty reasonable right now. I moved up to one from a regular Kindle and prefer reading on the Fire. It's so much easier to do things with.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 10:57:16 AM PST
It's better if you set your neighbor's house on fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 11:00:34 AM PST
The metal hooks on the case tend to get bent off kilter a little bit through normal usage. I took a pair of needle nosed pliers and bent the hooks so that they were at a 90 degree angle, or slightly towards the Kindle, and doing that made it a firm fit with my Kindle again.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 1:17:58 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 30, 2012 1:18:54 PM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
How did you calculate how much you could save?? Rechargeable triple A batteries are pretty cheap and last a long time.... The Paperwhite may be more convenient but would not save any money in any long run over the Basic Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 2:43:59 PM PST
Unfortunately I share a bed with another peron who doesn't stay up to read, hence the need for a booklight and not a lamp.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 2:46:10 PM PST
The itty bitty book light I have has a power cord attached, it is great as it is a globe so really white light. The M Edge sounds great but I will be certainly checking out the paperwhite when it comes here. Problem is, you can only get Kindles at 2 places here and they are only selling the KK, and only started selling them about a year ago. I suspect we may never see those stores stock them :(

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 2:46:55 PM PST
I have an iPad so not really fussed about the fire - and I can't read on a backlit screen.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 8:12:44 PM PST
S. Kessler says:
I would wait it out for the Paperwhite. I have had nearly every edition of the e-ink Kindle. The last one before the Paperwhite was the Touch. I bought one of those teeny clip-on LED lights for it to read in bed and it was okay, but I was constantly adjusting it to get rid of glare spots and to place the light on the page without it shining into my eyes. Then I got the Paperwhite and the angels sang! The lighted screen is phenomenal. It is so much brighter looking than the older screens when you are reading in a room with decent ambient light. But the real joy is in bed with the lights off and the screen is so comfortable to read (no eyestrain like a back lit screen). Today, I was in the train coming home and at one point the lights in the car flickered off for a few minutes. In the old days, I would have to put my kindle down til the lights came back on. Tonight, when the lights went off, the Kindle Paperwhite screen just continued to glow for uninterrupted reading. Fabulous!

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 9:25:41 PM PST
S. Kessler thanks for your reply - I suspect I will definitely upgarde to the PW when we can get it here, I have got the regular Kindle in the meantime to tide me over, have managed to sell my KK to a friend for the same price so not out of pocket any which is great! What you said about the light is certainly my biggest motivation - I mostly read my kindle in bed at night but even the light on the amazon cover is so bright it sometimes wakes hubby up. The PW sounds brilliant.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2013 1:48:32 PM PDT
HoundyCat says:
I found a regular Kindle lighted cover for cheaper than list price, and I have really enjoyed it. No problems at all with connection between the Kindle and the cover light, and it is nice not to have separate batteries for a light. Lighting is not 100% even across the screen, but it is good enough.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Enjoy your print books and personal documents on your Kindle with Kindle Convert.
0 Feb 2, 2015
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
March Informal Poll--What are you reading? 76 1 minute ago
eBook Prices 38 1 minute ago
RAoK Room 81 is ready to serve you..... 4715 2 minutes ago
Can't get out of Chinese language on my Bejeweled 2 on my Kindle...help!! 8 4 minutes ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Home of Super Hero Sisters, Panama, Many Furry Friends, Featuring Fat Jane the Spanx Wearing Goat, and Cherie! It's the Apocalypse! 7655 8 minutes ago
SwagBucks Thread 5170 10 minutes ago
Looking at buying a new Kindle Fire Have questions 1 11 minutes ago
Why is difference between set price and real for Kindle children's book? 8 12 minutes ago
MOBI Converted from CBZ Showing Blank Pages (HDX 8.9) 6 37 minutes ago
ECHO's of Friendship 1016 45 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  Nov 29, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 18, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions