Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Which generation kindle is this? 4? 5? It just says Kindle...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 1, 2013 1:07:59 PM PST
Jamie says:
Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi - Includes Special Offers (Black)

Posted on Dec 1, 2013 1:10:32 PM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
That is considered the 4th generation.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2013 1:12:18 PM PST
 Ann says:
It's usually called a "basic" Kindle or Kindle 4. Amazon recently started calling it the "Kindle (5-way controller)" on the help pages - http://smile.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/?nodeId=201263790.

Posted on Dec 1, 2013 1:14:11 PM PST
Jamie says:
Ok great! I don't know anything about these but would like to purchase one for just book reading. something basic. I think this is my best bet! Thank you!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2013 1:16:01 PM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
It is a great reader. I have had one for almost 2 years now. I just upgraded to the Paperwhite with a built in light. You can't go wrong with either one.

Posted on Dec 1, 2013 1:18:27 PM PST
Jamie says:
can you only download books from amazon? or can you go to other websites that offer books?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2013 1:21:56 PM PST
There are other sites that sell Kindle compatible books. Bookstrand is one. Just be sure you get the correct version..

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2013 1:22:08 PM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
You will have to find sites that offer a Kindle format. Baen Books is an example that sells multiple formats. If you try a site like Barnes and Noble you will not be able to get those.

Posted on Dec 1, 2013 1:26:51 PM PST
Jamie says:
ok and how about the extra warranty for $24.99. worth it or no? it will be adult owned, children won't have access to it

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2013 2:04:12 PM PST
I find the best way to think about that is to pose myself the question:
would I rather spend $25 now *in case* I need to claim on the extended warranty, or would I rather take the risk and just pay up if I need a new device. (Which depends a bit on what the EW covers and how likely I think the risk is for a given device.)

BTW, ".mobi" files, or ".prc", or ".txt", or (though not so good) ".pdf" files are all Kindle-compatible.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2013 2:31:49 PM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Personally for items under 200-300 dollars I never buy an extended warranty if I am the only person using them.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2013 2:38:00 PM PST
Me neither. I always figure that although I might be unlucky, the odds HAVE to be in the warranty-offerer's favour overall, or they wouldn't offer it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2013 2:40:55 PM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
I figure most problems with electronic devices show up within the first few months or when they finally wear out after a couple of years or so.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  Dec 1, 2013
Latest post:  Dec 1, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions