Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Andra Day $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Gear Up for Football STEM Toys & Games
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

kindle fire home button and back button missing

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 21, 2014 9:55:03 PM PST
idnarbdab says:
My home tab just dissappered! Ive tried turning it off for a while and back on! Help please!!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2014 10:31:14 PM PST
idnarbdab - Try rebooting it.

TO REBOOT YOUR KINDLE FIRE:
For 1st Gen Fire (2011 model), 2nd Gen Fire (2012 model) and Fire HD (2012 model):
Make sure it has at least a 50% charge. Unplug the Fire.
Hold the power button in for a full 30 seconds (count them). Disregard any messages to shut it down.
Press the power button again to turn it back on.
The "kindle fire" screen will appear for a couple of minutes while it's coming back on.

For Fire HD2 and Fire HDX (2013 models):
Make sure it has at least a 50% charge. Leave it plugged in.
Hold the power button for a full 20 seconds disregarding any 'Power Off' notices.
Stop pressing the power button.
The flickering "kindle fire" logo should appear and it will turn back on.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2014 8:20:44 AM PST
CatChat says:
What model do you have? I have the hd 7" (2012) and when you are one the home screen everything but the star disappears. Click on option from the top (like books, apps, etc) and everything comes back. If not try the reboot.

Posted on Feb 24, 2014 12:35:33 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 24, 2014 12:37:44 PM PST
John says:
I'm having the exact same issue (home tab has disappeared) and this trick:

"Hold the power button in for a full 30 seconds (count them). Disregard any messages to shut it down. Press the power button again to turn it back on. "

hasn't worked. I can no longer effectively navigate successfully back to my home page on my hd 7" (2012) w/out restarting. Help please!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2014 12:43:56 PM PST
MikeJW says:
John, use the help link at the top of the page, and then the orange contact us button. Have Amazon call you. Don't use email.

Posted on Mar 5, 2014 10:32:37 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 5, 2014 10:32:53 PM PST]

Posted on Mar 5, 2014 10:33:05 PM PST
Leanna Smith says:
I've been trying to get this issue resolved with amazon. I had my kindle a day and a half before it automatically updated. My home bar is gone. They've said they're taking logs and working to get the issue resolved. Hard reboot and deregistering and reregistering my kindle did not work. If I finally hear back I will let you guys know how my issue got fixed. No luck yet tho and it's been almost two weeks.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2014 7:34:04 PM PDT
Douglas says:
Me too...had mine for a year and a half and suddenly I am having this issue

Posted on May 25, 2014 4:57:15 AM PDT
My son deregistered my kindle for the second time and now my back bar and other icons at the bottom wont appear, or they will then disappear, forcing me to shut it off and do something else. Should I re-register it yet again, or can someone tell me how to reboot it and restore it?

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2014 6:53:22 AM PDT
MikeJW says:
Of course, you should re-register it.

If you ever need to reboot it, have it charged and unplugged from the charger, and hold the power button for 30 seconds.

Posted on Jun 30, 2014 11:16:19 AM PDT
Customer services were useless, managed to find this and it worked it's a pain in the bum putting everything back on but there was no other solution . *Don't forget to back up stuff you want to keep.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1904413
"What worked for me was to try and side-load an application - copy an APK file to the 'downloads' folder on your KFHD via a connected computer using the windows file explorer, or ADB - and then install the APK. In my case by clicking on it using a file manager. The KFHD told me that I would have to enable foreign application installs to finish the install of the side-loaded APK, and took me to that portion of settings that dealt with that. In that section was the 'Reset to Factory Defaults' button."

Posted on Jun 30, 2014 11:28:47 AM PDT
Lplady says:
If you are reading, the home and back icons disappear. Tap in the page and the icons should reappear.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Feb 21, 2014
Latest post:  Jun 30, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions