Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Is there a way to stop internet video streaming (my kid is outsmarting me)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 33 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 3, 2014 11:21:36 AM PDT
Amy Henry says:
I'd like to find a way to keep my kid from watching tv and movies on the Kindle. I don't mind if he downloads a game that is free, but he's spending alot of bandwidth at home with the wifi.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2014 11:27:28 AM PDT
Parental controls???

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2014 11:33:21 AM PDT
 Ann says:
There are parental controls on Kindle Fires, or you can set up rules for the use of the device. Many wifi routers also have parental controls that can block or limit network usage on specified devices.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2014 11:42:55 AM PDT
Mike says:
The best "parental control" is to take the device away from the kid when he/she breaks the rules.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2014 11:56:55 AM PDT
A. Dietz says:
Take the Kindle away from him until he learns to be responsible. There are parental controls described here, but they don't substitute for parents setting and enforcing rules about how the Kindle is to be used.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/forums/kindleqna/ref=cs_hc_k_anmt?ie=UTF8&forumID=Fx1FI6JDSFEQQ7V&cdThread=TxAPTUABQ7JYS1

Posted on Aug 3, 2014 12:45:29 PM PDT
I have parental controls set on my son's Fire, and the charger resides in *my* room. So he has to leave it with me on his way up the stairs in the evening. Here's your e-ink, Son. Happy reading!

Posted on Aug 3, 2014 2:10:34 PM PDT
Really? You want Amazon to tell you how to get your kid to stop misbehaving? Oy vey.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2014 6:08:13 PM PDT
Hey, i want Amazon to me how to get my ferrets to stop misbehaving, so why not a child. LOL!

Posted on Aug 4, 2014 6:48:24 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 4, 2014 6:49:31 AM PDT
Deleted for grouchiness.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2014 6:51:41 AM PDT
Yeah, I can understand the "This is for _____, not for _____," part. It's the "outsmarting" part that makes me scratch my head.

Does physically removing the device from the child's possession honestly not occur to people?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2014 6:55:33 AM PDT
I just don't get it. How do you get the rug rat to stop? Take the dang thing away from the special little darlin'. Seriously.

This is how obnoxious adults are trained.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2014 7:16:38 AM PDT
It is amazing to see adults caving to the whims of children. As far as being outsmarted by them, parents should spend time trying to keep up with technology, especially when the kids are using it.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2014 7:43:05 AM PDT
flipoid says:
Take the Kindle away from him. It's that simple. If he's not using the Kindle as you want him to, then he loses the privilege (yes, it IS a privilege, not a right) to use it.

Where has everyone's common sense gone?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2014 8:42:51 AM PDT
Debi says:
LOL, this. I found a box of stuff I permanently took away from my kid a couple years ago. He's 30. My rules were mind or it's gone. Remarkably he minded pretty well. I sent them to him too. We both laughed.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2014 8:58:04 AM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Sounds like the kid is in control so I don't think there is anything you can do until you take control back.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2014 9:17:24 AM PDT
Mike says:
No doubt my kids, and now my Grandkids, can outsmart me. But, it's easy to deal with outsmarting that breaks my rules. I remember many years ago getting a phonecall from a BBS (I think that's what they were called, an electronic bulletin board) operator. They were acting inappropriately on his BBS.

Technically, they hadn't broke any rules-- I didn't know enough about it to set limits or rules. But, it was do easy to deal with: I just went to the Kaypro and disconnected the 300 baud modem.

P.S. There was also some yelling and finger wagging. They are now in their 40s and don't seemed to have been emotionally scarred from being told "no!", "don't do that again" in a very loud voice, and losing a privilege for a few weeks.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2014 10:41:56 AM PDT
I have an acquaintance whose son is my daughter's age. Over 15 years ago, I saw her on the first day of school and said, "We didn't see you and Junior at the Kindergarten Tea."

She said, "Junior threw a fit, and wouldn't get out of the car. So we didn't make it."

Wouldn't.get.out.of.the.car. Oh, HAY-EL NO. I'da had that little punkasp by the ankle, and dragged him across the pavement facedown. YOU ARE GOING TO MEET THE TEACHER. NOW.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2014 10:59:40 AM PDT
I love it! I know that there are times that we need to listen to children & all, but even a young baby learns that crying brings the woman that will pick them up & give them what they want.

As children get older, they know how to get to that same woman, if she lets them. And when that poor child reaches high school, the parent has absolutely no idea how to get that teenager to come home, to not sneak out after the folks are in bed, get them to go to school. etc. It's chaos - I have seen this many times & every single time, the parents are at their wits end & are crying and saying that they have no idea what happened to make their little angel at like this & not follow any rules.

I just sit there & shake my head in disbelief, because I saw it coming years ago.

You Folina, were a good Mom. You set rules/boundaries & expected your kids to follow those rules & keep to the boundaries that you set. You should be awarded a metal - if you saw all the parents that I have seen that don't have a clue that they are reaping what they sewed. Ya know, it couldn't possibly have been their parenting style or lack thereof.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2014 11:04:56 AM PDT
Debi says:
LOL, well there were pre warnings and not everything was taken away permanently. Mine wasn't too emotionally scarred either. He graduated at the top of his class and is a computer gaming programmer. I could have never outsmarted him as far as technology was concerned, but that warning of removing the internet was believed. Now whether he got away with stuff or not I don't know, he's not confessed. We did give him our credit card at 16, and he never spent a penny we didn't authorize him to. I think he still has it. Hasn't used it in at least 10 years.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2014 11:12:29 AM PDT
R. Wilde says:
"Okay, I think you've learned your lesson... You can have these back now."

Of course, depending on what the stuff was and what condition it's in, it could be worth some money.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2014 11:13:53 AM PDT
Have you seen the meme with the tiny padlock through the prong of the router's plug end? It says, "The key is hidden in your room. Better get cleaning."

~*BRILLIANT*~

This could be adapted to, "I'll tell you where I hid the key to the router lock when the yard work is done," or other situations.

I'm pretty sure it's Emerald Coast who gives chore lists, and only when everyone is finished is today's wi-fi password revealed. Genius.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2014 11:22:36 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 4, 2014 11:41:15 AM PDT
R. Wilde says:
The Big Bang Theory had an episode a couple of years ago where Howard and Bernadette were fighting because Howard was playing games instead of helping with the housework, so Bernadette hid his Xbox.

It was in the washing machine. If he'd just done a load of laundry he would have found it.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2014 11:31:55 AM PDT
I have walked around the house pocketing thing like the Roku box (so easily detachable!), the Xbox controllers, and Fires when instructions were not followed in a timely manner.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2014 11:43:33 AM PDT
Just Peachy says:
I remember years ago reading online of a mother who was upset because she wanted to take away the child's video game but didn't know how to unhook it. Just take the controllers!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2014 11:53:41 AM PDT
The kids probably hid those from her. ~snort~
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 7 days ago
Announcement
Meet other story lovers at Write On by Kindle
36 7 days ago
Announcement
Enjoy your print books and personal documents on your Kindle with Kindle Convert.
0 Feb 2, 2015
A method of searching for a specific term on Kindle readers 0 2 minutes ago
We're So Quirky, Our Chihuahuas Ride Bicycles! So Geese and Tally Ho! 1816 3 minutes ago
Dragi's Croatian Crab Shack and Wine Bar - The times they are a changin' 6750 9 minutes ago
Wait, a new wrinkle on the thinkle 20 11 minutes ago
Problem with Amazon Matchmaker 3 15 minutes ago
can't load correct youtube 3 19 minutes ago
Potentially Perky People - Part Deux 5255 22 minutes ago
Al's Place 35mm 7425 24 minutes ago
How to delete notifications? 10 25 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  33
Initial post:  Aug 3, 2014
Latest post:  Aug 5, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions