Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Maxwell Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Touch will not remember network settings

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 46 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 25, 2011 12:30:12 AM PST
I just received a Kindle Touch for Christmas. My wireless network uses STATIC IP addressing, WPA-PSK security, and a HIDDEN SSID. I can successfully connect and use the Kindle, but it does not REMEMBER my network settings after a power off. The device is registered, and I have spoken with Amazon tech support to no avail. They say it won't work with a STATIC IP, but of course that is not true, as you can configure for a STATIC IP right in the network settings, and I do have it working.

It just will not REMEMBER my network settings. It's a real pain to have to enter an SSID, WPA password, Host IP, Gateway IP and DNS IP *every single time* I want to use the Kindle. Can anybody suggest a way that I can STORE these settings for future use? Thanks for any help. The device is useless to me if I can't connect to this network.

Posted on Dec 25, 2011 12:37:07 AM PST
onewac says:
Is there a box you can check to remember everything? Just a thought! I just let my Fire and other devices connect automatically with just the password being required.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2011 7:12:01 AM PST
WV Reader says:
I cannot locate where the network settings are

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2011 9:58:56 AM PST
No, there is no box to check to save network settings. It's REAL easy to FORGET a network, but impossible to remember one with a hidden SSID and static IP addressing, from what I've learned.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2011 12:33:53 PM PST
M Hud says:
I have the same problem, no static IP though, just will not remember Network Password although I hit the save button. What a pain in the ass.

Posted on Dec 27, 2011 1:09:49 AM PST
ericbfdl says:
Same problem with my Kindle 3. However, if my router ssid is not hidden, Kindle would remember ssid and password. If my router ssid is hidden, I have to type the ssid and password again to connect, while my other devices, such as PC, tablet, have no problem with my ssid hidden. It seems my Kindle 3 can't remember the ssid and password when my router ssid is hidden. By the way, my network uses dynamic IP addressing.

Posted on Dec 27, 2011 3:23:48 PM PST
JAN B. says:
My new kindle has the same problem - won't remember a hidden network. Did anyone figure out a fix?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2011 3:34:14 PM PST
I had the same problem with the Kindle Fire the day after I got it. After 3 hours of dealing with it, I finally went to the wi-fi settings, clicked on forget so it would dump my wi-fi, clicked on add wi-fi, re-entered my network and it has been perfect since.

Posted on Dec 27, 2011 9:35:39 PM PST
B.C. says:
I have a Kindle Wi-fi with keyboard (with special offers) and I have the SAME problem. I hope the Kindle engineers are working on this because not only do I have to retype the hidden network name and password, but when I use, or attempt to use another network, it forgets all of the detailed data of the hidden network such as the IP address, router, DNS, etc. THIS IS A MAJOR ANNOYANCE!!! I am convinced this is not operator error but a design flaw.

Posted on Dec 28, 2011 10:25:05 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 28, 2011 10:53:04 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 28, 2011 12:55:02 PM PST
It looks like we have collectively identified the cause of the problem as using a hidden SSID. Hiding the SSID is one of the first things one should do to secure a wireless network, in addition to running some sort of encryption. I agree with Bernard Chachula that this a both a major annoyance and a serious design flaw. What say Amazon/Kindle? Will you fix this?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2011 1:32:30 PM PST
I have a hidden SSID. I was able to connect to my wireless. Then my Kindle forgot the connection after a while. (These symptoms are the same as others have reported). So I unhid the SSID in my router. Voila! The kindle was able to connect without my having to re-enter all the information (fixed IP address, gateway, dns server, WPA password, etc.) This is bad, but not quite as bad as some of the others here have worried. Definitely a bug. I am adding this issue to the increasing list of work-arounds for Amazon limitations (e.g. Kindle uses 1-click even if I have it turned off, I have to have a 1-click address to send a book to my Kindle even though it isn't needed.)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2011 3:22:56 PM PST
Many models have 3g that Amazon pays for (including my kk3). While they have throttled the day considerably in the year I-ve had it - they are still eating the cost - especially from k2 and DX owners.

They have started all major updates over wireless only - but I have noticed a strange wifi issue on my kk3 (versus my kindle touch). It switches between 3g and wifi with the latest software upgrade. The new kindles are designed to drop 3g like lightning when within range of wifi (so some bodunct B unsecured router from your neighbor connects while you do a drive or walk by). Its easier to program a singularity in a function than multiple variants (y'all should know that if you want to hide your said).

PS - hiding your said is false sense of security, and many devices won't remember when disconnected (but if they are always on, that's non problemo). True security (though there is no perfect solution), is to encrypt your router.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2012 8:19:25 PM PST
M. Korus says:
Yes. I agree. You have a customer found defect here Amazon. You know how painful it is to retype all this information in? No other product forgets this information. On the positive side, it sure does prevent me from purchasing many books, I mean it takes me 3 iterations of typing, retyping, and retyping a 3rd time (since my password is long). Looking forward to a quick fix Amazon! And no, I am not broadcasting my SSID... on principle.
BTW: Security Note: A password typically has about 2.5 bits of security per character, so the password of n bytes equates to a key with about 2.5n + 12 bits of security. Any password <20 characters is easily hacked (so say the security books... that apparently I won't be buying from Amazon).

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 12:42:48 PM PST
Same issue here and their techs are clue-less about the issue. MAJOR design flaw!

Posted on Feb 9, 2012 7:44:18 AM PST
stanwhjr says:
Hmmm ... no welcome news in this thread. I've been considering ordering a Kindle Touch and wondering whether it could be set up to work wirelessly w/ WPA2, passworded, non-broadcasted SSID home network, and the answer appears to be "yes," but requiring re-setting up every time. I'd be easy enough to plug up a physical connection to any of the connected computers, of course, but a needless annoyance.

Posted on Feb 9, 2012 10:00:37 AM PST
JAN B. says:
Just in case someone has the same problem: I originally went with the (silly) hidden SSID / WEP route on an isolated guest network because my other network wouldn't take it.

So, after some trial and error, here is how it works best (for me): The network can only be 2.4 Ghz, and a WAP2 password of 64 characters is only accepted if there are no funky characters in it. I had to change my random password generator and set up a 2.4Ghz guest network, and type the darn long password by hand because there is no copy & paste, but now it all works.
On the positive side - now my picky Samsung ML-2525 printer takes the password, too =)

Good luck, everyone!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2012 9:52:02 PM PST
Mine's collecting dust at the moment. This can be fixed with a simple software update. C'mon Amazon do it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 8:03:11 AM PDT
Arindam Dey says:
I just received a new Kindle Touch 2 days and it is the same problem, as my SSID is also hidden it refuses to remember the SSID/Key.

I have a 60 Char long Key and it is a real pain to type it in everytime. I turned of WiFi to conserve battery however on turning it on it has forgotten the SSID/Key. I am on the latest update 5.0.4 done today but no help.

Hope Amazon would give an update for this, I am not purchasing any books till the time this happens as I have a Non 3G Touch and WiFi is my only option other than connecting the cable everytime.

Posted on Apr 1, 2012 3:52:26 AM PDT
Same problem here. Come on amazon, fix it. It's ridiculous not to be able to connect to a hidden SSID.

Posted on Apr 5, 2012 10:28:27 AM PDT
For whatever reason - my Kindle 4 is now working with hidden SID. This makes me very happy!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2012 10:48:31 AM PDT
Arindam Dey says:
The same is the case with my kindle too! Not sure what has changed
Anyways I am happy now.

Posted on Apr 5, 2012 10:51:52 AM PDT
Ashley says:
i have a similar issue with my kindle touch....
It'll connect to my wireless network at home without a problem,
but it won't connect to a wifi at school. :[
I cant seem to figure out what's wrong with it.

Posted on Apr 5, 2012 12:48:19 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 5, 2012 12:51:43 PM PDT
John says:
I have the same problem. I've been dealing with Amazon CS on this issue for a while now and they finally downloaded my log file a week or so ago to see if they can determine what's going on. I haven't heard back from them yet though. When I talk to CS, they seem to act like this is an unknown/isolated issue. This is my second KT and they both had the same problem. Based on what I see in this thread, they must be receiving thousands of calls with this issue. I think their software people are concentrating more on the Fire at this point because there seems to be a new Fire update every week. The KT had what...3 or 4 updates? And none of those updates seem to have made any noticeable difference to anything. Granted there's more software in the Fire but the KT isn't without it's glaring software problems. C'mon Amazon!

Posted on May 28, 2012 1:21:16 PM PDT
Janie.Bird says:
I am also VERY displeased with the fact my Kindle Touch will not remember my network. I have WPA2-PSK [AES] security and I absolutely will NOT broadcast my SSID. Keying in the network name and the ridiculously long password is a royal pain. My iPhone and iPad automatically reconnect to my network. Perhaps Amazon needs to take a page from Apple's playbook.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
86th RAoK - Let the Games Begin 245 3 seconds ago
Potentially Perky People - Part Deux 7713 3 minutes ago
Beware of Reviews 3 7 minutes ago
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks III 9575 12 minutes ago
July 2016 Informal Poll -- What are you reading? 5 27 minutes ago
My Kindle won't turn on 0 32 minutes ago
Where id the last volume of Adam Hardy's Fox Series 5 35 minutes ago
It's After Midnight and I Just Opened a Bottle of Wine 5649 45 minutes ago
Problems with iPad Kindle App 64 1 hour ago
We're Quirky And We Know It! Come Witness The Howling Dink, Hussy Turkey Hens, And A Veritable Plethora Of Other Beasts! So Geese! 1906 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  36
Total posts:  46
Initial post:  Dec 25, 2011
Latest post:  Jun 20, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions