Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

an idle question

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 7, 2012 10:45:23 PM PDT
Ivan says:
I plug in all my books, dead tree or digital, bought or borrowed, into Goodreads to keep track of what I've read (I read a lot). I know that Amazon and many other retailers don't require ISBN's and Goodreads finds things using the ASIN, but I've noticed that some of the books, especially those I get from my library, have the paperback ISBN in the copyright page of the digital book. It's like they just used the exact same info, but these are not scans of actual books like OpenLibrary. I wondered why since "officially" you should have a different ISBN for each format. I'm not an author asking for self publishing reasons, just a gal who is a bit OCD about these kind of things.

Posted on Aug 7, 2012 11:05:04 PM PDT
JJulieJ says:
Laziness by the publisher? When the ISBN is on the copyright page of a paper book it has been "typeset" there which, of course, these days is done electronically. The publisher has probably just reformatted that file for ebook without bothering to change the ISBN.

I found one ebook that claimed it was printed on paper sourced from sustainable forests LOL.

Posted on Aug 7, 2012 11:21:26 PM PDT
I thought this was going to be a question about Eric

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2012 12:30:16 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 8, 2012 1:03:25 AM PDT
Old Rocker says:
He's a goer you know. Nudge nudge wink wink

Self pubs and private pubs have to pay like everyone else for ISBN numbers if they want their book title to be in the Library of Congress and therefore other libraries and book stores. Cost is. $124

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2012 4:40:44 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 8, 2012 4:42:02 AM PDT
Dragi Raos says:
Not necessarily. A tiny Amazon competitor distributing self-published e-books on multiple platforms offers free ISBNs if they are registered as the publishes, and charge $9.95 for registering the actual author as one.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2012 9:37:04 AM PDT
Old Rocker says:
There is only one company is the US that sets up ISBN numbers, but they do offer quantity discounts for publishers buying many numbers at once. I can see how that competitor could be taking advantage of that and also eating the cost as a perk to authors.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Aug 7, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 8, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions