Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Inability to organize Kindle Fire books

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 35 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 21, 2012 6:08:15 AM PDT
I do hope that in the very near future Amazon will release some kind of update that would allow organization of kindle books.

It, would be nice to be able sort my books - read, unread, various genres.

When I'm done reading a book, I should be able to put it under a read section, so the task of finding unread books would be much easier.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2012 6:44:52 AM PDT
A. Dietz says:
I just delete the books I've read from my Kindle Fire and they show up under the Cloud tab in my archive. I have a Kindle Keyboard and a Kindle Fire. I do have collections on my Kindle Keyboard to arrange my books by genre, but I have all 800 books downloaded to my Kindle Keyboard. I only have 50 or 60 books downloaded to my Kindle Fire, the ones that are in line to be read, so organization is not as much of a problem. I keep the 4 or 5 books I'm currently reading on the Carousel, and all the rest are on the Device tab under books. Although a way to organize would be nice, I don't find the need as compelling on the Fire as it is on the Kindle Keyboard.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2012 7:54:19 AM PDT
I usually don't like downloading all the books to the Kindle Fire device - I prefer to just download a few (around 5) that I plan to read in a specific time and when I'm done reading them, I remove them from the device.

And this is where I get annoyed - going through 'cloud' to find books I'd like to read next. I have to scroll through everything - read and unread, because, it's not like I'm looking for a specific book which, in that case, would allow me to search.

I'd like to buy a Kindle Keyboard but I can't afford it at this time.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2012 8:14:25 AM PDT
I agree

Posted on Mar 21, 2012 8:23:00 AM PDT
Serene Night says:
I agree totally. I dislike not being able to seperate my freebie content from the content I paid for. I've been hoping for a fix, but so far... No dice... Yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2012 8:26:39 AM PDT
A parent says:
yes it is not pleasant to have to manually delete books one at a time from the carousel...especially when you have downloaded a lot of books...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2012 9:32:06 AM PDT
Nantura says:
I have many books that I read. I just got kindle for ipad and when I started to download from the cloud there were many books I forgot if I read them or not. It would very nice and less time consuming if they were separate from the rest of my books.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2012 9:39:07 AM PDT
Nantura,

You are so right, it's too time consuming sorting through the books. For people who have hundreds of books on their device, I don't know how they deal with it. I just have a few books and I'm complaining.

Amazon really need to do something to allow us to organize.

Posted on Mar 21, 2012 9:58:27 AM PDT
Serene Night says:
I've been deleting them from my manage my kindle page. Most of them I will never read again, and do not wish to see in my kindle and on the cloud. However, I'd love to be able to put all the freebies in a different section.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2012 10:25:16 AM PDT
A. Dietz says:
Serene, if you delete them from your Manage Your Kindle page, they are gone forever and you have to buy them again if you ever want to read them again. Personally, if I've paid for something, or even if I've "bought" it on sale for $0.00, I want to keep it just in case I want to read it again.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2012 10:57:26 AM PDT
It would be nice to be able to group books by categories: History, Romance, etc.

It is highly desirable to be able to rename books: I downloaded some books in MOBI format from Project Gutenberg, and they appeared on my Kindle Fire under unnamed icons.

The books in PDF format consisting of page images often appear unreadable in Kindle Fire. I use work-around: process PDF files with PDFCreator, transforming PDF file into another PDF file, in which each page image is placed on white page. It is time consuming and volume of the book in K-bytes increases considerably, but Kindle Fire handles such files well.

Kindle Fire is small, and screen is sensitive. To avoid unintended effects of my fingers touching screen I use a clip-board with some padding under steel clip to make grip firm and prevent scratching. It would be nice to get some factory-made accessory of this kind.

When I copy PDF file from my desktop to Books of my Kindle Fire, for some reason I see them in Documents, not in Books - ?

With all these issues, Kindle Fire gives me a lot of freedom to read my books in the most comfortable setting and position.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2012 11:10:32 AM PDT
I use Calibre to re-name books the way I want them. When I sort by title, all my series are listed in proper order.

Posted on Mar 21, 2012 11:39:51 AM PDT
Ketta says:
Calibre also has a plug-in you can add that will accommodate collections for folks using non-Fire Kindles...

I imagine that Amazon feels its sister-site Shelfari is sufficient to the task of sorting your books, even for Kindle Fire owners, so I doubt they'll spend much time on that improvement in future releases, tho I'd love to be proved wrong!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2012 11:50:56 AM PDT
Serene Night says:
yeah, I know, but I seldom if ever re-read paper books, so I usually don't have much use for anything that is not a reference book once I read it- so deleting it just clears up the cloud. I won't read them twice anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2012 4:19:30 PM PDT
I agree with Faith B. This is my first ereader/tablet and that is the only real problem I find as well. I also want to organize my book.

Posted on Mar 31, 2012 8:25:29 AM PDT
I agree. It's annoying not to be able to sort my books into collections. I'd like to be able to separate free books or even by genre.

Posted on Apr 10, 2012 4:56:43 PM PDT
M. Dillon says:
I had an original Kindle reader, which I gave to my daughter after getting the Fire for Christmas. I like the Fire, but find I miss the ability to make folders for genres. I read so much, get "into" particular genre for a while then switch. Then go BACK the former genre and cannot remember what books I read, or want to use them as jumping off points to research others. (sci-fi, YA, Historical fiction etc.)Anyway, the folders helped me a lot and I wish there was a way I could replicate that feature! I'll look at Shelfari, but it doesn't sound like what I'm really wanting, which are multiple folder options.

Posted on Apr 10, 2012 5:27:31 PM PDT
Kindle on PC allows me to add collections that books can be put into. I'm assuming these collections won't transfer to a Kindle Fire?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2012 5:38:54 PM PDT
@Herbert: You are correct. The Fire does not have the Collections feature.

Posted on Apr 10, 2012 5:47:23 PM PDT
@John Thank you. At least I can try and find a maneuver around the problem before I pick up a Fire.

Posted on Apr 10, 2012 6:17:35 PM PDT
C. Sampson says:
I too would love to be able to categorize my books. If only by genre that would be better than nothing.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2012 7:51:19 PM PDT
You wont find what you are looking for at Shelfari; it isn't much when it comes to categorizing.

Posted on Apr 19, 2012 6:29:31 AM PDT
M. Boehm says:
Email them at kindleforandroid@amazon.com and request this. I know there are tons of people wanting this as I found this page by searching for a solution as well.

Posted on Apr 19, 2012 7:09:45 AM PDT
There are third party solutions that will do all of this and more. I recommend Calibre. This article explains how to use it and includes Part One of a video tutorial by Kovid Goyal, the creator of the program: http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/2010/06/20/getting-started-with-calibre-ebook-management/ . Follow the link to "advanced tips and tricks" at the bottom of the page to view Part Two of the video tutorial and to learn how to use tags and user categories for organizing and sorting by genres or any other criteria you want.

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012 9:14:16 PM PDT
Avid Reader says:
I completely agree. I think if everyone who feels this way emails the amazon customer service and petitions them we will soon see results. I've already done so and they responded with a "thank you for your feedback, we're working on it" answer. Maybe if they get a great influx of emails they'll work a little faster.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: New Update for Kindle Reading Apps on Android and iOS
75 1 day ago
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
July 2014 Informal Poll--What are you reading now? 98 5 minutes ago
Australian/Kiwi kindle users thread #3 9269 6 minutes ago
You claim I Have NO kindle but I do HAVE KINDLE FIRE! 9 6 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #4: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food! 1103 14 minutes ago
raok 77 - a glimpse of heaven? 6492 16 minutes ago
Kindle won't open Facebook 5 19 minutes ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Put a Stelvin Closure on Your Tequila Arm and Prepare for the Apocalypse! Grab the Midnight Goats, Orange Loving Cows, Cat and Dog Overlords of the Universe, Plus Cherie! So Geese! 9142 19 minutes ago
Basic Kindle tablet 1 24 minutes ago
Getting ready for my new PW 2 31 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  27
Total posts:  35
Initial post:  Mar 21, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 3, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions