Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Calendar to sync with Outlook

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 54 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 19, 2011 9:29:54 AM PDT
1. Does anybody know of a Kindle compatable calender that can sync with Microsoft Outlook calendar?

2. If not, is there a Kindle compatable calendar that allows you to add or delete items or events on the PC and then sync to the Kindle?

Posted on Oct 19, 2011 9:46:29 AM PDT
Did you bother to search the Amazon Appstore? It looks like an app called DejaOffice will sync to Outlook, but it has a note that says this:
Please note: The optional PC Sync requires CompanionLink on the PC. Prices start at $49.95, one-time, including free phone and email support.

Sounds too expensive to me, but your mileage may vary.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2011 10:01:39 AM PDT
Hi Susan Cassidy,

Yes, I certainly did check the Amazon apps for something compatable with Outlook but found nothing. That's why I asked here, hoping I missed something .... which I did with DejaOffice. Thank you for that and you're right about the price being expensive.

I have been looking at "Calendar" from 7 dragons but am not sure I can enter items manually from my PC and then drop it into the documents folder of my new Kindle KSO. I guess it's worth a dollar to find out. :-)

If it isn't already obvious, I am a novice Kindle user.

Posted on Oct 19, 2011 10:43:13 AM PDT
I was thinking of the Kindle Fire, since that has been most of the posts recently. I doubt that the regular Kindles have anything that will sync to Outlook. That might be a little too fancy for a regular Kindle app.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2011 11:04:12 AM PDT
Well, I tried to download Calendar from 7 dragons but it is not compatable with the new Kindle (KSO) so it's back to square 1 for me. Thanks Susan, for trying to help.

Posted on Nov 6, 2011 5:32:18 PM PST
Hi,

The only way to do this is with Google currently. Go to http://www.google.com/support/calendar/bin/answer.py?answer=89955 and download the sync tool, install on your PC/Mac. Then on your Kindle browse to m.google.com and click on calendar. You will see your calendar there.

Thanks. God Bless.

Aaron.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2011 5:46:17 PM PST
loriltx says:
I don't know anything about the Fire's capabilities, but since the iPad can sync with Outlook, I would expect that the Fire will be able to do so.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2011 10:52:22 PM PST
My sincere thanks to Aaron Cavanaugh for the link to the Outlook to Google Calendar sync application. It works exactly as advertised. I am very grateful for the help, Aaron.

As an aside, logic suggested that I could simply view my calendar from my desktop PC and do a "save as" to an .html file and drop it in my Kindle document folder. For whatever reason, that doesn't fly. Regardless, I am a very happy camper to get the Google calendar on my Kindle. That adds one more level of usefulness to an already indespensible device.

Posted on Nov 6, 2011 11:43:03 PM PST
William,

you will have to rename the .html file to .txt and then it should open.

I'm on the team for Calendar for Kindle. It will be available for the new Kindle with no keyboard and no touch - we have submitted it and at some point (don't know when) it should get through approval process and be available.

However, you can't do syncing with Outlook. The data is saved in JSON format so it isn't very easy to just add things either.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2011 8:05:06 AM PST
How exciting. I am looking forward to seeing the announcement for the Kindle Calendar. Thanks for the preview.

I'd love to be a fly-on-the-wall around your workshop to see what other innovations are in the works.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2011 8:17:43 AM PST
Joan Long says:
William B. Jones,
There are two Kindle books in which you may enter data with your PC and have them sync with your Kindle, and vice versa too. They are
Calendar 2011 - 2013 For Kindle Notes
and
Weekly Calendar For Daily Journal & Appointments Thru 2012
Since they are Kindle books, they will sync with all electronic devices that have the Kindle Reading apps installed. You may make notes on dates for numerous activities and even copy emails over into these reading apps to be thereafter synced to your Kindle.

Posted on Nov 7, 2011 8:30:21 AM PST
M. Gerrish says:
I like using the Google calendar and won't be looking for yet another app to manage this. I can view upcoming events via computer, phone, and soon, Kindle Fire without having to additionally install this that or the other. For my purposes -- and I believe for many people -- Outlook was unnecessarily heavy-handed. Google does virtually all the same stuff with a much lighter touch and I don't have to synch anything.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2011 9:37:42 AM PST
Joan Long says:
I forgot to mention that the syncing is done automatically with the two Kindle calendar books mentioned above, Calendar 2011 - 2013 For Kindle Notes and Weekly Calendar For Daily Journal and Appointments Thru 2012.

Posted on Nov 7, 2011 9:46:38 AM PST
loriltx says:
Outlook syncing is great for people who want to utilize their work calendar for everything. I don't have to manually do anything to synch devices--when I put something on my Outlook calendar, it is automatically added to my iPad calendar.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2011 1:17:45 PM PST
Hello Joan,

I looked at the specifications for these two applications and they both look very nice. I fully intend to try one (or the other) in the very near future.

I have been a Microsoft Outlook user for many years and it suits my needs and lifestyle very well. Now, with the ability to sync it with Google Calendar it adds yet another layer of value to my everyday needs through my Kindle. The singular disadvantage to using Google Calendar is the inability to view or update the calendar entries when I am out of range of WiFi signals. I guess there really is no free lunch. :-)

Posted on Nov 7, 2011 1:50:27 PM PST
M. Gerrish says:
But @ William B, keep in mind, if you have a phone that can access the internet, even in a basic way, then you have access to your Google calendar, all handy-dandy. You can update via the phone and then when the Kindle Fire is in WiFi territory, the updated information will synch automatically to the device. It's been a year since I last fussed with it and perhaps upgrades have improved the process, but in time past, getting my phone to synch with Outlook, and/or getting Outlook to synch with Google, or getting Outlook to play friendly with anything -- even Windows-based phones! -- was just a pain. Depends on your business set up (some folks don't have a choice), and your comfort zone, of course, but just the one spot works best for some.

And (LOL) these days, are any of us really ever out of WiFi range? Yes, yes, yes, you, you and you over there, are always out of WiFi range. But for most of us, not so much.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2011 2:37:28 PM PST
M. Gerrish said that if I have a phone that will access the internet I can always get to my Google calendar. True! But my phone is is not designed to do much, if any internet browsing. It is a Tracfone that I use to keep in touch with my wife and that's about it. And I might add, I don't have a Kindle Fire, or anything close. My Kindle is the new $79 version .... with no name.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2011 8:36:52 PM PST
D. Gregory says:
Please, *please* talk to the Powers that Be that the Fire should be able to synch to Outlook's calendar and contacts. If they do that - the iPad is obsolete. I don't need an iPad now, even - but if I didn't need to carry the iPod - hey. calendar and contacts are the only reason for it - since the Fire will upload all my iTunes tunes. After that - the only things I can ask for is an expansion slot for some mini memory disk (IOW, back to the K1), and a keyboard that can use the mini USB port. Who needs iAnything after that!

Diana - so far *LOVING* my KFire!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2011 8:39:17 PM PST
D. Gregory says:
(and no way to tag the entries in different colors - at least not as far as I've found). Also need those contacts.

When the Fire becomes a Verizon phone - I'll have everything I need in one item...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2011 9:44:50 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 29, 2011 9:46:27 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2011 9:52:32 PM PST
@D. Gregory: You can use the Fire's built in feedback option to tell Amazon. Go to the top where the settings are, click on More and the first item in the list is Help & Feedback. Then the feedback form is the 3rd tab.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2011 9:57:02 PM PST
I haven't been able to make Google Calendar on my Kindle Fire remember my email and password even though I've checked the "Remember me" box each time I've logged in. Any advice? Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2012 8:20:11 AM PDT
What - No sync to Outlook; not easy to 'add things'. Then why bother? A waste of Resources. Sounds if User requirements were not solicited, or ignored.

Posted on Apr 5, 2012 11:21:34 AM PDT
Brady Barkey says:
Just sync Outlook to your Google Calendar. Done. You can get your Google Calendar anytime when in Wi-Fi area....and you can look at your Google Calendar offline with their Google offline application.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2012 2:54:23 PM PDT
D. Gregory says:
I actually found a better option - DejaOffice. Free app on android device, paid program on your PC - it will support 1 device for about $50 - you can get a "professional" (I'm not looking it up so I'm guessing here) license for somewhere around $150 which supports several devices. You need a wireless network for the PC/Mac and the device.

I like it because it keeps the color options from Outlook - and synchs calendar, mail, contacts, etc. You can even use it like the old Palm sync software and update on the device or the PC - but it's not as mature about it so I am only keeping my PC as the authority device.

dg
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  23
Total posts:  54
Initial post:  Oct 19, 2011
Latest post:  Mar 15, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 16 customers

Search Customer Discussions