Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Touch skipping pages

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 12, 2011 9:47:25 PM PST
Joelyn says:
I have had this Touch for a few weeks but lately when i press the screen to advance the page .. it will skip a couple or sometimes several pages...I have restarted the KT and tried pressing differently.. still it keeps happening.. I hope Support can fix this.. it's really annoying trying to figure out where you left off

Posted on Dec 13, 2011 2:39:47 AM PST
I saw where one other person had this problem. They told him he was "tapping" his kindle too hard. Just a light touch is needed? Hope this helps. If it doesn't call customer service and I'm sure they can come up with an answer. :-)

Posted on Dec 13, 2011 4:29:30 AM PST
Fud53 says:
If you have the shakes...at all...then doing a double tap is quite hard to avoid and turning multiple pages is also difficult to avoid. Even without the shakes it's very easy to double tap the screen and two pages will turn...since turning two pages on a regular book also occurs on occasion it really isn't an issue...it just happens in most instances.

Posted on Dec 13, 2011 1:55:04 PM PST
deborakaye says:
Joelyn,

I had this happen also. I talked to Kindle CS a couple of times. In the first discussion, I was told that they hadn't heard of the problem and wrote a "ticket" for it to be worked on and they would call me back.

I called again a few days later after not hearing anything. After repeatedly describing the problem, they sent me a new Kindle Touch. This one does NOT have the skipping problem.

I'd recommend you call Kindle CS, and be insistent that they send you a new one. Politely of course:)

Posted on Dec 13, 2011 2:21:28 PM PST
Jason Koenig says:
This sort of thing is just one reason why I never want to give up physical page turn buttons. *shakes fist*

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2011 2:23:44 PM PST
SeaLevel274 says:
Because physical page turn buttons could never malfunction. ;)

I like my Touch much better than I did my Kindle 3 with the keyboard.

Posted on Dec 13, 2011 2:26:08 PM PST
I don't have a Touch, but read in a thread earlier that if you swipe up or down instead of "tapping" you will go forward or back a whole chapter if the book is formatted that way. Could that be the issue?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2011 5:25:12 PM PST
Joelyn says:
I tap.. I have been tapping lightly as well.. and it keeps doing it.... maybe its the book... the last book i read didnt do it..I tried to swipe to left and right to see... does the same thing..Thanks for your help

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2011 5:27:17 PM PST
Joelyn says:
Thanks DK... I will do that..

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2011 2:22:25 PM PST
deborakaye says:
Jocelyn,

Let me know how Kindle CS resolves the skipping issue.

Posted on Dec 14, 2011 9:43:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2011 9:44:54 PM PST
AC Sue says:
I think that where you hold your "tapping" finger can be a problem. Since it's an infrared touch screen, if you "hover" a bit too close to the screen before or after tapping, it could trigger extra page turns.

Posted on Dec 14, 2011 10:32:53 PM PST
Dorsie says:
Make sure you're not tapping again before the page has a chance to turn. It takes about 1/2 a second.

Check the space between the bezel and the screen along the sides to make sure that dust or dirt is not blocking the infrared grid that emits from there, and causing misreads. Dust can just be blown out. For more stubborn dirt, you can fold a pre-moistened eyeglasses wipe in half and run it under the bezel. Be careful not to use anything that could scratch the surfaces.

Posted on Feb 21, 2012 6:16:28 AM PST
I called support about this and they had me download the latest software download - 5.0.3 (as of 2/21) and it fixed it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_left_cn?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200529680

Posted on Apr 23, 2012 9:22:18 PM PDT
N. Curts says:
I bought my Kindle touch in December 2011 so that I could read books conveniently in China. When I bought the product it worked just fine for a few weeks, then I noticed the first time the product started 'skipping pages' was on a plane flight. In the following months the kindle started skipping pages and chapters more and more frequently, to the point where it started to have a life of its own anytime I gently touched the screen to go to the next page.

I downloaded the latest software update (5.1.0) which did nothing to fix the problem. I then spoke with an amazon sales assistant who said that they would arrange to ship me a new product to my address in the U.S., but couldn't arrange to ship the new kindle replacement to my address in China. I was very upset about this (seeing as the cost to ship my defective to America, then paying someone to arrange to ship the new Kindle to me in China would cost more than the price of the Kindle itself) and the customer representative said he would make an exception in this case and ship me a new kindle without forcing me to ship back the defective one. Although I'm not happy about having to ask a family member to pay $50 to ship me the replacement (especially upsetting since the Kindle is probably manufactured just down the street from where I live) I was glad that they were at least willing to meet me half way.

Ideally, amazon should improve its service to international clients if they are going to market this as an international e-reader.

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 12:11:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 17, 2012 12:12:28 PM PDT
J. Dove says:
Pre ordered the touch when it first came out. Within a matter of pages the thing started skipping to chapters and multiple pages. Installed the new update for the software and it still skipped pages.

Finally broke down and called customer service and got it replaced. I guess I had a lemon because the new one works flawlessly. Amazon customer service was extremely helpful. In my opinion if it is skipping pages nothing will work to fix it and it's some sort of component issue. Replacing it is going to be the only way to fix it. I still tap the pages the same way I did on the old one.

Posted on Sep 15, 2012 1:51:36 PM PDT
Cruztalker says:
I had the skipping pages problem and Amazon replaced the Kindle Touch...the replacement is worse than the original one. I am beginning to HATE my kindle! What else can be done? Please...I would like some answers. I've tapped lightly...and with force...I've swiped quickly and slowly...no matter what it will sometimes skip 40 to 50 screens! Finding my way back is a challenge. I do not have this problem on my iPad Kindle app...what's going on? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Posted on May 9, 2015 9:14:03 AM PDT
Kimberly M. says:
how do I skip chapters using the Kindle app in Windows 8.0?? I am using a Surface Pro2. I am only able to advance forward/backward page-to-page and often I need to go from one chapter in beginning of the book to a chapter toward the end.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  Dec 12, 2011
Latest post:  May 9, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions