Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Daily Deals - Loosing Me At "Hello".

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 36 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 24, 2013 1:26:53 PM PDT
D. Rose says:
We're seriously addicted to our Kindles - yes, plural; we own more than our share in this house......but the new daily deal gig leaves me, as the sole book purchaser here, completely cold. I have a small amount of time in the morning to peruse the internet over coffee before I leave for work, and I always check the Kindle daily deals. A description of at least what the books are about is pretty much necessary for me with my time crunch - I've got a one hour drive to work. This new strategy of just leaving a customer review for each offering that says, "Love it - great book!" doesn't help me at all. Everybody has a theme, a plot line, a variety of story venue they most enjoy; and I don't have the time available to go intestigate what each book is going to be related to. I know, it sounds like a small thing - but for me in the mornings, it's a real deal breaker as to whether or not I can invest any additional time in going in and researching each book on it's own. So far as a marketing ploy to make me spend more time at the Kindle book site - for me personally - this myth is busted.

Posted on Apr 24, 2013 1:30:37 PM PDT
T. Cook says:
"this myth is busted. "
Mainly because it never existed...

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2013 1:33:42 PM PDT
Dittie says:
Aw, tell the truth -- you were loosing before there ever was a Daily Deal, weren't you?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2013 2:33:26 PM PDT
The Artist says:
Aw, other people aren't taking your needs into consideration when writing their reviews? How rude of them! Don't they know that you're the center of the universe?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2013 2:53:30 PM PDT
Cassie Anne says:
I don't find most reviews helpful either, so I just don't bother with them. If the description and "Look Inside" aren't enough to sell me on the book, I'm probably not missing anything.

Posted on Apr 24, 2013 3:01:11 PM PDT
Old Rocker says:
The irony

Posted on Apr 24, 2013 3:12:36 PM PDT
I get what the thread originator is trying to say. Amazon previously provided a short hook or teaser to intrigue a potential buyer. Changing over to a short customer review (two or three lines) doesn't really allow the book to sell itself. (Remember, what one person thinks of a book may be entirely contrary to your considered opinion of the author's work.)

Guess it really boils down to "Do you buy books based on content, or are you one who buys only what is currently trending or popular?"

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2013 3:24:06 PM PDT
~nospin says:
I had not seen the change to the Kindle Daily Deal page.

Totally worthless to have half of them described as "couldn't put it down"

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2013 3:27:09 PM PDT
This is a real tragedy. Someone should do something. I'm not sure what, but SOMETHING!

<panics and runs out of the room>

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2013 3:32:16 PM PDT
You're going to be a big help in the delivery room...

I understand the OP, too. I could care less what someone else has to say about a book. Give me a short description.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2013 3:34:57 PM PDT
Old Rocker says:
Have you sent your concern to Amazon feedback?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2013 3:35:07 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 24, 2013 11:21:05 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2013 3:36:37 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 24, 2013 3:36:49 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2013 3:39:36 PM PDT
The Artist says:
You were there for the creation (one assumes), so you have to be there for the delivery! :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2013 3:44:35 PM PDT
Tee hee!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2013 3:49:28 PM PDT
Cassie Anne says:
You didn't read the fine print, did you? Tsk, tsk.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2013 3:51:32 PM PDT
Dog Lover says:
Have to admit, I agree.

I seldom find books on the Daily Deal that appeal to me anyway. However, when I saw those <snark> very helpful </snark> "reviews", I made the decision to never buy any "deal" that was promoted that way even if the title should appeal.

DL

Posted on Apr 24, 2013 5:42:50 PM PDT
Anne Shirley says:
Almost every book that Amazon touts - Daily Deals, books for $3 and under, etc. are SPAs. The major published authors in the Monthly list are few and far between. It annoys the bejeebers out of me that Amazon clearly intends to promote everything *but* trad-pubbed books. I buy a very small percentage of Ammy's highly-touted books invariably accompanied by equally highly-questionable reviews.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2013 5:49:05 PM PDT
Mike says:
D. Rose: I don't understand what you're saying with "Loosing me at 'Hello'". Makes no sense.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2013 6:07:44 PM PDT
flipoid says:
Actually, recently in at least the "Romance" genre, several of the books have been trad-pubbed. I bought 2 that were published by Simon and Schuster because that is one publisher that doesn't allow libraries to loan e-books, and even though they were authors I'm not familiar with, I thought it was worth the $1.99 for each book to give their writing a try.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2013 8:05:19 PM PDT
Dog Lover says:
I agree.

My Amazon online day starts with my checking the Daily Deals. Over the past year or so, these have been almost always SPAs (with less than 5 average star ratings to boot.) After doin' the "look inside" thing (when available), I never ended up buying any of them. The same goes for the "monthly" thing. How they select which books to offer eludes me.

Not complaining. Just stating the "success" rating based on my own personal purchasing habits.

Same about the "Today's Deals" (2nd in my Amazon online daily procedure and once known as the Gold Box.) At one time, the "just for you" section near the bottom of the page was very useful to me. No longer. And why are they putting the Local Deals there now? I get those via email anyway. Again, not complaining. Amazon will do whatever drives the best sales results.

Just sayin' that sales **to me** from these 2 pages are almost non-existent now.

DL

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2013 8:17:21 PM PDT
Anne Shirley says:
Same here. And my "local deals" are often 50 miles away - and repeated for months on end (clearly no one wants them) and yes, they do know where I reside, and it's in an area that literally offers 10-30 offers per day that I receive from other sources.

The only source I see daily is through Pixel of Ink. I don't buy many, but I have bought a few on checking their links for myself. But the books that Amazon specifically touts as great cheapie specials? Whatever their algorithm, they just don't click with my particular likes.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2013 8:19:35 PM PDT
Anne Shirley says:
That's not a genre I read. So while it's true for your reading pleasure, it isn't for my interests. I think we're all speaking about what we've found in regard to what we're specifically looking for.

Posted on Apr 24, 2013 8:19:43 PM PDT
Old Rocker says:
My area has no "local deals." I live in Texas close to the New Mexico state line and I get "local deals" for Charlotte, North Carolina.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2013 8:24:03 PM PDT
Dog Lover says:
I am a "Romance" reader. (Caveat: I've not found interesting books in this genre - SPA or otherwise - since late 2009. I don't know what happened at that time but even my most favored authors started putting out karp.)

In any event, the "Daily Deal" when it does offer something from that genre is almost always (even if there are some exceptions) SPA stuff.

I won't go into my disgust (not limited to Amazon by any means) with the combining of SF with Fantasy. Drives me crazy (short trip.)

DL
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  36
Initial post:  Apr 24, 2013
Latest post:  Apr 25, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions