Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Newest Paperwhite (Oct 2013) Freezing

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-18 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 16, 2013 8:42:43 AM PDT
I've searched and couldn't find any recent threads so am posting this one (posting both here and in help forum since some folks don't make it over there).
I'm a long time Kindle user & am pretty tech savvy. I've already contacted Kindle Support. I'm posting to see if anybody else has been having this issue with the new Paperwhite. I've got a K2, a Kindle Touch had the 1st gen Kindle Fire, & we own both a 7" & 8.9" Fire HD but this is my first Paperwhite.
I confirmed the firmware, 5.4.0 is the latest (only) update. Here's the problem (which seemed to start after I removed the ads but that may be coincidential):
Typically the screen freezes two ways.
1) I'm reading and suddenly can't turn the page. Can't pull up any menu, asolutely zero touch screen response.
Pressing the power button has also resulted in two separate reactions depending on the occasion.
1a) No response at all. Does not turn the screen off. Does not pull up any options.
1b) Turns the screen/light off. Pressing again turns the screen/light back on but only returns me to the "screensaver" (pictures that are available when ads are removed) but I am unable to access any other part or function of the device. (I then have to proceed with a hard reset as below).
Or
2) Pressing the power button does absolutely nothing...Will not even turn the screen/light off in which case I must press and hold the power button for a full 40-60 seconds to get a hard reset.

The other scenario is very similar and goes like this:
2) I'm reading along and stop to look up a word (or add it to my word index) when the screen freezes. Things then progress as outlined above. It is HIGHLY frustrating.

The unit then restarts and returns to the book I was reading but typically several chapters back.
My searches here showed a similar issue with the Kindle Touch (I think a corrupt Welcome Letter was being blamed). I have deleted all Amazon letters and the Kindle Guide (although I highly doubt that is the issue).

I've only downloaded 158 books of my extensive library (to keep initial indexing to a minimum).
As mentioned I contacted Kindle Support more to have the issue documented and to see if they'd had other similar reports. This has happened about 1/2 a dozen times now. I'm not sure if it's a widespread issue (a bug that can/will be fixed by a patch) or if I got lucky and happened to get a faulty unit. It happens. I'm actually hoping it's a bug. I've already put a DecalGirl skin on my Kindle and have purchased a 3yr SquareTrade warranty. It's a pain to have to swap out the serial numbers, etc... (plus I'm out the cost of my pretty Winter Snowflake skin).

So, anybody else having this issue?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2013 4:10:53 PM PDT
A. Wallace says:
I am having the exact same issue. I was trying to see if I need to send my Kindle back for a replacement or not. I've had three different kindle versions, and this is the first one that has had this problem. What did kindle support tell you?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2013 4:31:00 PM PDT
monilee says:
I haven't had that problem. You mentioned the welcome letter. I did get that with my kindle touch, and maybe with my first generation paperwhite, but I didn't get one with this newest model. So if you did maybe it does have something to do with the letter.

Posted on Oct 17, 2013 10:17:45 PM PDT
I didn't get a welcome letter, just the user manual. As mentioned, I highly doubt it has anything to do with the issue but I deleted it from the device anyway.

Customer service basically logged the issue which was my intent when calling. She had me run through the reset function as if the screen was frozen although I mentioned several times it was not currently frozen. I had just done a hard reset about an hour prior. I figured I'd call the issue in while I was not having a problem (and had some time to kill between appointments). If nobody calls Support to report these issues/problems they have no way of knowing if it's a widespread issue or more of a case of just a handful of faulty units.

One thing I did find pretty funny was when I mentioned (for the third time) that when it freezes & I finally get it to reboot it brings my book back up but usually a few chapters back. I mentioned that it's already annoying enough to be interrupted while trying to read but then After having to go through the whole re-boot process I then must search for the page I was on (it's typically been 2-4 chapters behind where I was). I keep my wifi on all the time & I'm not sure exactly how often it's supposed to be syncing with the server (this may actually be a possible clue to the issue & why it's hanging/freezing during a page turn).
What was so funny... her supervisor then suggested that I "sync to furthest page read."
I said that obviously if my screen is frozen I can't do this before I reboot. I have tried this after a reboot & it simply tells me I'm already at the furthest page read (which is 2-4 chapters behind where I was actually reading). She said, "no, she suggests you sync while you are reading."
I started laughing! I said, "Seriously? While I'm reading I'm supposed to just randomly sync my book just in case the screen freezes? Um, that doesn't sound like a very practical solution at all!" The Rep I was speaking with realized (I think as she was actually saying the words out loud) how silly that actually sounded! We were both laughing.

Anyway, if it happens more than another 3-4 times & I don't hear anything about there being a possible bug/patch I'll have to assume it's just a faulty unit & will ask for a replacement. I will also ask for a promotional credit to cover the cost of my DecalGirl skin (I've had to eat the cost previously on a faulty Kindle Fire). I'm honestly hoping it's something they'll be addressing with a firmware update though.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2013 11:48:24 PM PDT
I'm having this issue as well.

Most likely some software bug. Let's hope they release a firmware update soon.

Posted on Oct 18, 2013 12:43:13 AM PDT
eljeffe58 says:
I had the issue and returned it to Best Buy within two days of a conversation with K support going nowhere really. My 2nd one does not do it at all in weeks of heavy use.

Posted on Nov 2, 2013 2:48:38 PM PDT
L. Favre says:
Kindle Paperwhite, 6" High Resolution Display with Next-Gen Built-in Light, Wi-Fi - Includes Special Offers

Got the same problem, it freeze and I have to restard to hope reading further pages. But sometimes, even avec two restart, I cannot turn any page.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2013 1:05:55 PM PST
I finally did a full system restore (hated doing it because I wasn't sure all of my collections is spent an hour setting up would restore.... But they did.)
Doing a full reset and starting over seems to have fixed all of my issues.

Posted on Nov 4, 2013 5:22:21 PM PST
T. Stone says:
I have had the device freeze on me twice since it came in the mail October 1st, one of those times being today. I plan on calling the next time it happens.

Posted on Nov 5, 2013 5:06:00 AM PST
Now a Texan says:
I've had a magical month with my new Paperwhite with ads. The only problem I have encountered is the page skipping scenario. I am working to lighten my taps when turning pages. In another thread, from a Kindle "Pro", I read "all Kindles will freeze from time to time, but a hard reset will usually solve the problem." Also, for those who feel they don't want ads, the ads have been absolutely non-offensive. So far, they only offer new books similar to the ones I am reading. They appear in the initial screensaver and then are gone forever. I have actually been looking forward to the new suggestions.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2013 1:44:15 PM PST
Fumi says:
I'm having this same problem. My device has frozen twice in less than a month. As people have said, it also seems that once you restart, the kindle PW has not synced in some time because you are forced to go back quite some way.
It's just my opinion but the lack of syncing suggests this might be causing the freeze issue.
Does anyone know how often the kindle is supposed to sync while you are reading?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2013 1:46:06 PM PST
Jason, rebooting a Kindle shouldn't disturb the last page read information for your books. However, if the clock is incorrect, that would.

Posted on Nov 11, 2013 1:50:33 PM PST
Fumi says:
My problem is identical to Sassy Sweetpea.
After freezing, the kindle reboots and takes me back to the library page. When I then go back into my last book, I find that it hasn't synced for a while and I have to search forward to where I was last reading. Quite annoying.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2013 1:51:42 PM PST
Did you check the clock?

Posted on Nov 17, 2013 8:49:49 AM PST
tvismylife says:
I've had my 2nd generation paperwhite for about a week now, and it's frozen on me three times. The first time I did a hard reset, which of course takes several minutes. The next time it froze up I sat staring at it for a few minutes, debating if I really wanted to reset it again, and it just unfroze itself. Same the third time - I waited a while and it unfroze.

It also doesn't seem to properly save my furthest page read - if I flip back a couple of pages, and want to get back to where I was, it says I'm already at the furthest page.

This is my 3rd kindle - I have the original keyboard version and the first paperwhite, and I've never had problems like this before. I'm not real happy with this new paperwhite.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2013 1:39:13 PM PST
MrQue says:
I'm having the issue with a freezing. As you have said, I'm reading a book, when suddenly the screen freezes and I can't turn a page. I have been able to reset by holding down the power button for several seconds. Tech support suggested holding the button for a full 30 seconds. As you experienced, sometimes it doesn't come back to the same place, but usually it does reset correctly. I wouldn't mind if it had happened once or twice, but it does continue to happen.
Kindle support told me how to reset and basically said something like "freezes happen".
When it's working correctly, I really like it, especially the x-ray feature, the remaining time in chapter and the ability to scroll to another part of the book, but I get very irritated at the number of resets I've had to do.
I'm still within my 30 days, so I'm considering returning the unit, maybe for a Kindle Fire, it that screen is better.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2013 2:24:22 AM PST
Karla B says:
I just purchased a Kindle Paperwhite this past Friday.
We have 3 Keyboard Kindles and a Kindle Fire.

The Kindle Paperwhite was fully charged (over 25+ hours) & I had not been downloading any books.

I was reading a book that I had purchased from Amazon when the KP froze 2 times.
It took me back quite a few chapters back. The first time I was like okay maybe a fluke so I found my spot in the book.
Then about two hours later it did the same thing and took me back to the same spot in the book.

That time I was so disgusted I just turned it off.

Posted on Apr 14, 2014 7:02:33 PM PDT
+1. gen 2 freezing here as well. Hoping for a firmware update!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
News: Kindle for iOS Software Update 4.6
0 Dec 15, 2014
Announcement
Simon & Schuster Agreement
0 Oct 20, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
Kindle Fire HD text to speech 101 2 minutes ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Home of Super Hero Sisters, Panama, Many Furry Friends, Featuring Fat Jane the Spanx Wearing Goat, and Cherie! It's the Apocalypse! 2706 6 minutes ago
Free Books & Chat - Saturday, Jan. 31, 2015 43 7 minutes ago
Australian/Kiwi kindle users thread #4 - "the BBQ" 1984 15 minutes ago
Amazon Echo (no invite questions) 2347 17 minutes ago
What are the best games for the Kindle Fire 7 HDX? 24 18 minutes ago
Kids outsmarting Free Time parentel controls 20 33 minutes ago
Wifi Booster 2 35 minutes ago
Text-to-speech on Voyage Kindle? 489 45 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  18
Initial post:  Oct 16, 2013
Latest post:  Apr 14, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions