Whispersync Does Not Work

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 10, 2014 5:00:01 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 10, 2014 5:37:27 AM PDT]

Posted on Mar 10, 2014 5:14:24 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 10, 2014 5:14:37 AM PDT
T. Cook says:
"I've had ludicrous responses from Audible like "you can't listen to a book on the PaperWhite because it doesn't have sound."

Yes, it's ludicrous to point out a device has no audio, when it has no audio.

"Don't buy Whispersync option, it's a waste of money!"

Yes, don't buy Whispersync option - or in otherwords an audiobook - if you're using a device that can't listen to audiobooks...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2014 5:31:42 AM PDT
Assegai says:
Not sure if you're agreeing with me or not? I am referring to WhisperSync for Voice which supposedly allows you to buy a Kindle book and Audible audio and then keep them synchronized as you read either. So, If you want the hassle of trying to manually sync the Kindle book with an Audible book so that you can read when convenient, or listen at other times, then the Whispersync discount price may be justifiable; but if you think you can switch from one platform to the other without hassle, you're wrong.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2014 5:35:28 AM PDT
The OP is just venting and has posted this same rant in another thread as well.

He wants to sync the ebook on his PW with the audiobook on his Iphone and can't figure out how to do it but rather than ask for help, he's chosen to post multiple rants about how it doesn't work.

Whispersync works just fine between the two devices but I'm not inclined to help such ill-mannered posters.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2014 5:36:21 AM PDT
Exactly where on the product page, does it say that the PaperWhite has audio of any sort (audio jack, speakers, etc)? You will find it is not listed because the PaperWhite does not have any audio functions at all.

It sounds like you didn't do your research before purchasing. At the present time neither the Kindle Basic nor the PaperWhite have any audio functions. If you want audio you have to purchase one of the Fires or the older eInk technology (Touch, DX, keyboard, etc)

Posted on Mar 10, 2014 5:40:25 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
I think the OP is expecting to listen to the audio book on the iPhone and then either pick up the paperwhite and start where the audio book left off or to be able to read on one while listening on the other.

When they actually have to be done in tandem on the same device

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2014 5:45:16 AM PDT
In theory, I suppose I could turn on the audio version on my MP3 player, then be looking at it on my Kindle and following along, assuming I started on Page 1.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2014 5:46:03 AM PDT
KaJoLa says:
Not true.

From Kindle Help pages:

With Whispersync, you can sync audiobooks, instant videos, and games across supported Kindle devices and apps.

Audible audiobooks When you purchase a Whispersync for Voice book, you can switch back and forth between:

Reading the Kindle book using your Kindle device or reading app

Listening to the Audible audiobook using a Kindle Fire device, Kindle e-reader with speakers, or Audible app

To learn more, go to Whispersync for Voice & Immersion Reading.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2014 5:49:58 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 10, 2014 5:52:13 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
ok, then when you finish reading it on one, are you making sure that you close the book out and then sync that device and then when you open the other device also turning on wireless and syncing?

at least I was able to figure out what you were talking about

Posted on Mar 10, 2014 5:59:54 AM PDT
"Questions? Visit the FAQ page or call our Customer Care team anytime at 1-888-283-5051."
FAQ's: http://audible.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4146

You can read with:
Kindle
Kindle Keyboard
Kindle Touch
Kindle Paperwhite
Kindle Fire
Kindle Apps

and can sync the audible edition with:
Audible for iPhone
Audible for Android
Audible for Windows Phone
Audible on Kindle Fire
Audible on Kindle Touch
Audible on Kindle Keyboard

Posted on Mar 10, 2014 6:02:35 AM PDT
KaJoLa says:
Given the OP's attitude and the fact that the post has now been deleted, I didn't want to put too much effort into this thread.

It is possible to do what they want to do. I have tried it with Audible books on my Fire and the matching ebook on my Keyboard.

You must first make sure you have the compatible versions of the book. Just because it has the same title does not mean it is whispersync compatible. Then you must have wi-fi on and sync before and after reading/listening.

It does work.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2014 6:21:46 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 10, 2014 6:22:50 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2014 7:01:01 AM PDT
Yup. I can confirm it works just fine. I've used WhisperSync for Voice to go between reading a book on my PW and listening to it on the Audible app on my iPhone. As long as you bought the WhisperSync for Voice compatible audiobook, have the up to date audible app and make sure to sync before leaving your book on wither device if works fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2014 7:02:52 AM PDT
"...make sure to sync before leaving your book..."

I think this is a common PEBKAC.

Posted on Mar 10, 2014 7:27:12 AM PDT
Worked for me too. Like previously stated, you have to make sure to sync up to the servers before switching from one device to the other and sometimes it's not instantaneous.

Posted on Sep 7, 2014 8:40:31 PM PDT
D. Fry says:
My Whispersync is on. I am able to see all of my annotations on my Cloud, but for some reason it erased all of them on my Kindle. And no mater what i do to try and get them back nothing happens. I was wondering is there a way around it. If so you're help will be appreciated. I have so much work done on my kindle it sucks to not be able to access my notes when I'm in class.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2014 10:03:53 PM PDT
Paxton says:
Have you tried removing the book from your Kindle and re-downloading it?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  Mar 10, 2014
Latest post:  Sep 7, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions