Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Barnes & Noble recently gave Nook HD owners access to Google Play and all the standard Google Apps (Gmail, Youtube, Earth, etc.)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 173 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 3, 2013 8:17:06 AM PDT
http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/technolog/nook-hd-nook-hd-update-adds-google-play-store-access-6C9756582

Will Amazon do the same soon for Kindle Fire HD and Kindle Fire HD 8.9 owners?

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2013 8:17:55 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 3, 2013 8:18:05 AM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Doubtful since Amazon isn't going belly up.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2013 8:19:36 AM PDT
Why would Amazon make it easy for you to use a competitor's products?

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2013 8:20:25 AM PDT
Dittie says:
The price of Nook Simple Touch in the U.K. also went down to the equivalent of about $45 U.S.D., and it's still not selling like the proverbial hotcakes, neither of which has a flipping (see what I did there?) thing to do with any *successful* business model, least of all Amazon's.

Posted on May 3, 2013 8:20:36 AM PDT
The Kindle Fire HD and Nook HD are nearly identical devices. This will give people an incentive to by Nook HD instead of Kindle Fire HD.

At the very least, why can't they give us Google Apps? I can live without Google Play. Nothing on Amazon's Appstore comes close to Google Earth.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2013 8:21:07 AM PDT
Why? The competition is doing it. That's reason enough.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2013 8:21:46 AM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Not much of an incentive if they go out of business which seems very likely to happen.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2013 8:22:48 AM PDT
Dittie says:
Ah, the bigger question is why aren't you writting to Jeff to let him know you'd be better at running Amazon than he is? Why?

Posted on May 3, 2013 8:25:12 AM PDT
**Meya** says:
Something about a barn door comes to mind.

Posted on May 3, 2013 8:26:57 AM PDT
FastEddie says:
If you want or need google play, just buy a google nexus and be done with it.

Posted on May 3, 2013 8:27:00 AM PDT
Having access to Google is not worth being stuck in BN's ecosystem--no way. It's easy to sideload apps that are not in the Amazon store.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2013 8:28:11 AM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
So Amazon should follow the business model of a company on the verge of bankruptcy???

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2013 8:28:41 AM PDT
Not when you are orders of magnitude more successful than the competition is.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2013 8:31:16 AM PDT
That's it. I'm going to IHOP for lunch. All you can eat pancakes.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2013 8:32:00 AM PDT
KAragon says:
I don't ever see Amazon playing in Google's sand box but the last time I checked you can get Google Earth from getjar.com. Also, check 1mobile.com and goodereader.com

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2013 8:32:21 AM PDT
Dittie says:
Take along something good to read.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2013 8:33:00 AM PDT
You have a problem asking for improvements? Maybe you should get help.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2013 8:33:17 AM PDT
Tinker-bella says:
I rather liked your "circling the drain" in a different post, myself...

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2013 8:34:20 AM PDT
Nook HD is no longer stuck in B&N's ecosystem. They're free to choose from any of the millions of apps in Google Play. They have the best of both worlds. Is it too much to ask for the same?

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2013 8:36:08 AM PDT
Thanks. I'll check it out. It's still not as convenient as using Google Play, but I guess it could work.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2013 8:37:35 AM PDT
Dittie says:
Said "improvement" is something that can be done on Kindle Fire without rooting. The fact remains that google doesn't just do this out of the kindness of their hearts. No, they want money. It can be B&N's money, for as long as B&N has any money. It can be Amazon's money. They'll take that, too. Why would Amazon want to pay google when Amazon's product is selling like crazy, and B&N can barely give theirs away?

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2013 8:38:36 AM PDT
Dittie says:
Well, isn't that fortunate because it doesn't look there will be a B&N ecosystem much longer?

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2013 8:39:19 AM PDT
Where else can you get a decent 9" tablet that has full Google Play access for less than $300 USD? This could save the company.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2013 8:41:05 AM PDT
Check back in a month and see how they're doing. The press is going to give them free advertising for this and that alone could change everything.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2013 8:43:05 AM PDT
You're stuck with BN's horrible customer service (or lack thereof) and that's bad enough. Again, I have every app I want on my Fire via side loading.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  36
Total posts:  173
Initial post:  May 3, 2013
Latest post:  Jul 19, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions