Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Amazon Prime

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 29, 2012 2:46:10 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 29, 2012 2:48:34 PM PDT
Has anyone joined the Amazon Prime? I'm wondering if it worth the $79.00 per year. Thanks for any help you may give me.

Posted on May 29, 2012 2:50:57 PM PDT
saraf says:
If you are joining it to get one free book to borrow a month, no. If you are joining it for the videos, no. If you are joining it because you get free two day shipping on items sold by amazon and you order a lot of items from Anazon, yes. It is a shipping program, not a Kindle program. One book to borrow a month and free streaming video is a perk of the shipping program and neither one is worth $79 a year. I've been a Prime member for years because of the shipping. If you don't need the shipping, then Prime is not for you.

Posted on May 29, 2012 2:51:22 PM PDT
If you join Prime for the free shipping, then it is worth it. If you join Prime for the 1 book per month on loan, then it is not worth it. You can buy books for the cost of Prime.

I suggest doing a search - search button is on the center right of the page - there have been hundreds of threads discussing this feature

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 2:56:54 PM PDT
I haven't joined Prime because I don't buy many physical goods from Amazon. Many people here are Prime members though, and they think it's terrific.

Posted on May 29, 2012 3:00:19 PM PDT
I agree. If you buy a lot of goods from Amazon, a Prime membership is superior value.

Posted on May 29, 2012 3:40:56 PM PDT
 Ann says:
I've been a Prime member for several years, since well before the video streaming and the KOLL perks were added. I buy all kinds of physical goods from Amazon. Some recent orders have included things like vacuum cleaner bags, toothpaste, light bulbs, live butterfly larvae, a popcorn popper, ballet slippers, and dog food. Many items I either can't find locally, or they are more expensive at local stores. The videos and the lending library are nice extras.

Posted on May 29, 2012 3:51:27 PM PDT
Bixillarla says:
If you do your shopping for physical goods on Amazon it is worth it, I do 90% of my shopping on Amazon. Last year my TV gave out and I bought a new one on Amazon and had it at my door in 2 days with no shipping charges. Can't beat that.

If you get rid of Netflix in favor of the free streaming videos is is worth it, Netflix streaming is $8 a month/$96 a year.

If you want just the free book per month then no it is not worth it.

If you combine all the above then it is more than worth it.

Posted on May 29, 2012 4:30:48 PM PDT
I have really enjoyed Prime since getting it a few years ago. We, too, have ordered all manner of items from Amazon, and the two-day shipping is fantastic - sometimes things have even gotten here in one day. We have saved a good deal of shipping money. But, if all you were to do is to borrow a book every month that would otherwise cost $6.58 or more (the $79 divided by 12), you'd still come out ahead.

I actually haven't heard of many people who have signed up for Prime who have regretted it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 4:33:02 PM PDT
If you could keep the books, you math would make sense. $79 a year to only BORROW books is crazy IMO.

I have Prime, and really use it. But would never pay that much to borrow books I couldn't keep.

Posted on May 29, 2012 4:38:26 PM PDT
jsh1120 says:
As the posts above point out, the primary benefit of Prime membership is free shipping for those who purchase goods and services from Amazon. It's fairly simple arithmetic if you ask yourself whether you average $7 a month or so in shipping, you save money with Prime. But the value of the perks beyond that depend to some extent on whether you own one of the traditional e-reader Kindles or a Kindle Fire. If it's the latter, the potential savings for video rentals can add significantly to one's savings.

Posted on May 29, 2012 4:39:21 PM PDT
Spider Witch says:
I use it for the shipping. Have saved so much this way. Buy many staple items, ie, pet treats, etc. on a regular basis. The free book is just a small bonus. Never used the streaming.

Posted on May 29, 2012 4:45:54 PM PDT
I use my Prime membership for the shipping, and LOVE it! I have not set foot in a mall at Christmas time since I signed up from Prime, which has made my life much less stressful! The other benefits are nice, but the shipping is the "real" benefit.

Posted on May 29, 2012 4:54:55 PM PDT
S. Dunham says:
After being an Amazon customer for a while, I finally am doing the 1 month Prime trial. I am going to join for the shipping. I do a lot of Amazon shopping and not just for media. The KOLL and streaming sound like nice perks. I might not buy anything one month, then go on an Amazon shopping spree the next. Most of my family is still back in Jersey, so I buy a lot of gifts from Amazon and have it shipped directly to them. For that, I think Prime is worth it.

Posted on May 29, 2012 6:21:25 PM PDT
Sharon,

It depends on your situation. I joined Prime in November when I got my Kindle Fire (after the 30 days free trial). I've found that I really like having free 2-day shipping on anything I buy, and I get free shipping to my nieces and nephews when I sometimes buy presents for their birthdays.

I also like renting free movies and TV series to watch on my Fire (or sometimes on my PC).

Finally, I also have 2 e-ink Kindles, and I like the free e-book each month. I read the whole Hunger Games trilogy that way. (And Amazon made out, since I ended up buying 2 sets of hard copies as presents.)

So all in all, I'm super happy with it. You really have to decide how much you'll use any of these 3 types of services to determine if you want to get it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 6:26:35 PM PDT
Yes. Yes. Welcome.

Posted on May 29, 2012 6:28:26 PM PDT
Amberle says:
I use Prime both for the free shipping and the video streaming. It has some shows and movies that Netflix doesn't, so it's worth it to me.

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 6:36:51 PM PDT
Bixillarla says:
Jsh, you don't need a Fire to make use of the free streaming movies with Prime. You can watch on your computer, Roku, PS3, etc. Anything that has internet streaming capabilities.

I watch using my laptop which I hook to my TV with a HDMI cable and enjoy free movies and TV shows.

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 7:14:33 PM PDT
jsh1120 says:
@James Bernard,

Sorry, I wasn't clear in my response. You're right, of course. As long as you have Prime and a device capable of displaying streaming content from Amazon you can take advantage of it the "free" media. I should have re-read my response before hitting that "post" button. Thanks for the correction.

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 9:11:46 PM PDT
At about $1.19 or so per episode, once you've watched 66 episodes (of anything, combined) everything after that *is* free. With a Fire (me), a netbook (teen girl), and a Roku (little boy), Prime streaming has probably provided at least $750 worth* of programming beyond my $79 investment 6 months ago. We're definitely into "free" territory!

*based on 3 people each watching 1-2 items a day
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Bluetooth mouse for Kindle Fire HD? 108 2 minutes ago
Dragi's Croatian Crab Shack and Wine Bar - The Answers Are Blowing In The Wind 1582 6 minutes ago
How to make a web site a favorite 28 6 minutes ago
Potentially Perky People - Part Deux 7810 11 minutes ago
Secret new product release! 36 13 minutes ago
FREE Books and Chat - July 2016 652 41 minutes ago
Is it possible to resize images along with text on kindle? 3 49 minutes ago
Big thanks to Kindle for ruining my ebook experience 1310 1 hour ago
We're Quirky And We Know It! Come Witness The Howling Dink, Hussy Turkey Hens, And A Veritable Plethora Of Other Beasts! So Geese! 4127 1 hour ago
Kindle / Audible Recommendations and Deals (KARD) 3231 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  May 29, 2012
Latest post:  May 29, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions