Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

how to locate my stolen kindle

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 79 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 22, 2012 3:43:16 AM PST
How to locate a stolen kindle fire

Posted on Feb 22, 2012 3:44:21 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
there is no tracking device inside of kindles

you should immediately deregister it and call amazon to report it stolen so no one else can register it

Posted on Feb 22, 2012 6:36:42 AM PST
A. Dietz says:
There's an app for the Kindle Fire called Locate My Kindle (Kindle Fire Edition) that works amazingly well given that there's no GPS in the Kindle Fire. It gave me the exact street address of both my house and my office when I tested it out. Of course, that doesn't help you if you didn't install it before your Kindle Fire was stolen, but next time . . .

Posted on Feb 22, 2012 7:41:42 AM PST
they should just automatically install that app at the factory (although there will no doubt be some people who will freak out and say they are spying on them if they do) the number of people i have told abou that app for their iphone or ipad.....after they have lost it..... is amazing but as you said, at that point not toooooo helpful.

hope it is just lost and not stolen Pamela..

Posted on Feb 22, 2012 7:42:39 AM PST
The app would be worthless unless the person who found it connected to WiFi.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2012 8:30:23 AM PST
A. Dietz says:
Correct, but it's better than nothing.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2012 8:44:31 AM PST
quilt lover says:
But you know they will...

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 5:10:32 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 23, 2012 5:24:14 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2012 5:21:01 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 23, 2012 5:22:25 AM PST
Self-promotion.

This app gets terrible reviews. I would never even consider it.

"The LocateMyKindle app is designed to automatically enable your Wi-Fi and connect to any available networks in order to track it's location." Yikes. No thanks.

There are complaints of Fires crashing from the app, people having trouble uninstalling it. Then the reviews that say it simply doesn't work. Out of 77 reviews, 25 give it a One Star.

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 5:30:50 AM PST
Labapps Llc says:
Americus,

This is not self promotion, we are simply being proactive in answering questions that users may have about the LocateMyKindle software. The bad reviews it receives are a very tiny fraction of the user base. These reviews are due to location accuracy which we have no control over, you must understand that since the Kindle Fire does not have a built in GPS we are left to locate the device via Wi-Fi triangulation. This is not always perfect but it's as good as it can get with the hardware restrictions, this in turn spurs some negative reviews because users simply do not understand the limitations of the hardware and expect gps like pinpointing. This accuracy can be had in a lot of cases but not all.

Our support team has had 1 reported case of a Kindle fire that "crashed" however this could not be attributed to the LocateMyKindle software. As for uninstallation it is really quite simple, it does indeed require more effort than a typical Kindle Fire application to include entering your password however this is part of the tamper proof technology that prevents a potential finder of your device from uninstalling the software.

If you are concerned with the device tracking your location you can simply disable the location service in the LocateMyKindle settings.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2012 5:32:34 AM PST
Amazon disagrees with you. I posted my thoughts...I have no interest in installing an app that turns WiFi on by itself, and that can't be uninstalled without going through a web site.

Posted on Aug 9, 2012 12:05:38 PM PDT
Ann Parow says:
Help! My kindle fire is lost but it does have the find my kindle app. I want to know if it will find it if the battery is dead? I keep asking where it is and the map shows that it is in my neighborhood so I assume that it is in my house. I have turned my house upside down and I don't believe that it is in here. Could the map be showing where it was some time ago although it does say within the last 5 minutes. I would appreciate any help as it is driving me nuts!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2012 1:20:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 9, 2012 1:21:08 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2012 6:09:37 PM PDT
L. Lutz says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2012 6:10:51 PM PDT
L. Lutz says:

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 4:44:06 AM PST
Eric says:
But then how do you search it when your kindle fire is stolen? I tried looking for it on my phone but I found nothing

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 6:58:08 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 13, 2012 6:59:44 AM PST
L. Lutz says:
Sorry I haven't replied sooner - I was out of town~~!

You can search for your Kindle Fire from a computer or from a SmartPhone or Android Phone. It is an app for the Kindle but to find or locate your Kindle you just use the Internet and go to www.locatemykindle.com and login with your user name and password and then the location of your Kindle will pop up on the screen. I just did it again to test it and it is very accurate! Shows that it is right at my house where I left it.

Remember you need to do a quick set up on the Kindle itself before this app will work! But once that is done and if someone steals it or it gets lost and is turned on (and either it connects automatically to Wi-Fi or someone connects to WiFi then you can find it).

The Locate My Kindle app cannot be shut off of the Kindle because they would need to know the user ID and password that set it up in the first place. The only thing they can do is not connect it to Wi-Fi but then how would they get any new books or use like an I-pad?

This is a great app and it has never caused any problems with my Kindle!

Get it now before you lose your Kindle for peace of mind!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2013 8:50:44 PM PST
K. Wenrich says:
I DOWNLOADED it and verified ny email address but there are no instructions on how to use it. Could you tell me how to make it work? I Would like to test it if I misplace it.

Posted on Jan 2, 2014 6:03:57 AM PST
L. Lutz says:
You can search for your Kindle Fire from a computer or from a SmartPhone or Android Phone. It is an app for the Kindle but to find or locate your Kindle you just use the Internet and go to www.locatemykindle.com and login with your user name and password and then the location of your Kindle will pop up on the screen. I just did it again to test it and it is very accurate! Shows that it is right at my house where I left it.

Remember you need to do a quick set up on the Kindle itself before this app will work! But once that is done and if someone steals it or it gets lost and is turned on (and either it connects automatically to Wi-Fi or someone connects to WiFi then you can find it).

The Locate My Kindle app cannot be shut off of the Kindle because they would need to know the user ID and password that set it up in the first place. The only thing they can do is not connect it to Wi-Fi but then how would they get any new books or use like an I-pad?

Posted on Feb 27, 2014 4:14:09 PM PST
lori denbo says:
i downloaded gps app on my kindle and i have lost my kindle how do i find it??????????

Posted on Mar 4, 2014 1:15:42 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 4, 2014 2:04:11 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2014 1:20:57 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
not if the kindle is password protected (I advise this so no one can purchase that 10,000 USD book) - they won't be able to see the name of the kindle

better yet, keep it in a case/cover/sleeve with your name and phone number on it

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2014 4:05:42 AM PST
Luzgonzalez says:

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2014 5:20:07 AM PST
What?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2014 12:28:14 PM PST
U.R.Nuts says:
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
My Kindle will not stay connected to WiFi. 32 44 minutes ago
Oasis book covers not showing? 2 44 minutes ago
Dictionary for kindle on IPad 0 46 minutes ago
Word Wise for Kindle for iPad 0 54 minutes ago
85° and Sunny - A Perfect Day to RAOK! 9418 58 minutes ago
Whisper sync for The Tommyknockers 23 1 hour ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion IV 7695 1 hour ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #5: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food 8639 1 hour ago
Turn light up in brightly lit rooms, and down in dimmly lit rooms? 232 1 hour ago
OT: Discussion - (Freebie Books Links Only) 5338 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  42
Total posts:  79
Initial post:  Feb 22, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 2, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 37 customers

Search Customer Discussions