Industrial Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Beauty Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Shop Now HTL
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

FREE Books and Chat - Tues. Jan. 22, 2013

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 262 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 22, 2013 2:23:41 AM PST
Irish M says:
Good morning all! It is back to work for me today as I had the day off yesterday. I thought I would share a few quotes about my latest obsession, Paris. Enjoy the day, I am off to a virtual cafe with a large espresso, a savory crepe, and a view of the Champs-Elysees.

"If you are lucky enough to have lived in Paris as a young man, then wherever you go for the rest of your life, it stays with you, for Paris is a moveable feast."
― Ernest Hemingway, A Moveable Feast

"A walk about Paris will provide lessons in history, beauty, and in the point of Life."
― Thomas Jefferson

"Paris is a hard place to leave, even when it rains incessantly and one coughs continually from the dampness."
― Willa Cather

"Admirable, however, as the Paris of the present day appears to you, build up and put together again in imagination the Paris of the fifteenth century; look at the light through that surprising host of steeples, towers, and belfries; pour forth amid the immense city, break against the points of its islands, compress within the arches of the bridges, the current of the Seine, with its large patches of green and yellow, more changeable than a serpent's skin; define clearly the Gothic profile of this old Paris upon an horizon of azure, make its contour float in a wintry fog which clings to its innumerable chimneys; drown it in deep night, and observe the extraordinary play of darkness and light in this sombre labyrinth of buildings; throw into it a ray of moonlight, which shall show its faint outline and cause the huge heads of the towers to stand forth from amid the mist; or revert to that dark picture, touch up with shade the thousand acute angles of the spires and gables, and make them stand out, more jagged than a shark's jaw, upon the copper-coloured sky of evening. Now compare the two."
― Victor Hugo, The Hunchback of Notre-Dame

Please come back and tell us what you get from the free links. Or if you've read a previously Free book drop in and tell what you thought of it...

You are welcome to join us for conversation, however, self-promotion or posting a link to your book in this area is against Amazon's TOS. Please go to the "Meet Our Authors" area for that, as many of us do check there as well.

Starter Schedule:

Scarlett859 - Wednesday, Jan. 23 Start Time around 10:00pm CST (Tues night)
JudyD - Thursday, Jan. 24,Start Time: 11:00 p.m. EST
Lover of Books - Friday, Jan. 25, Start Time: 12:30am PST
Robb - Saturday, Jan. 26
DonnaBeeGood - Sunday, Jan. 27Start Time midnight PST
Leo - Monday, Jan. 28, Start Time 12:00am PST
Ketta - Tuesday, Jan. 29,Start time 4-5am EST
Courtney - Wednesday, Jan. 30Start Time around 12:00am EST
JudyD - Thursday, Jan. 31, Start Time 11:00 p.m. EST
Lover of Books - Friday, Feb. 1, Start Time: 12:30am PST
Leo - Monday, Feb. 4, Start Time 12:00am PST
Leo - Monday, Feb. 11, Start Time 12:00am PST

Open Dates:

Saturday, Feb. 2
Sunday, Feb. 3
Tuesday, Feb. 5
Wednesday, Feb. 6
Thursday, Feb. 7
Friday, Feb. 8
Saturday, Feb. 9
Sunday, Feb. 10

******************** STARTERS NEEDED **********************

*** Please consider volunteering to be a thread starter. ***
Choose an available day, copy/paste schedule into a post and add your info.
We'll help you through it!

Birthday and Anniversary / Template / States - abbreviations and time zones / Slang / How To link. *!304&authkey=!AI1-59L9q8AbjRA

Yesterday's thread:

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 2:28:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 22, 2013 2:32:08 AM PST
Ooooooooh lala !!!

Irish 3 of my grandparents came to usa from france during ww2

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 2:33:43 AM PST
ebook addict says:
Reposted from late last night, in case you missed it. From my wish list, these are new on today's Amazon pricing:

first 2 were previously free, but didn't last 24 hrs, now free again
Super Dark (Super Dark Trilogy) -- YA Thriller

For fans of Stephenie Meyer comes a chilling love story that will have you hooked from the very first page.

Darkness stalks seventeen-year-old Sam Harper. Ten years ago on Halloween night, grotesque creatures snatched her best friend Elliot and Sam narrowly escaped with her life. Now a decade on, the police investigation has ground to a halt and Elliot's whereabouts remains a mystery.

Traumatized by her ordeal, Sam finds it hard to make friends. She is mistrustful of authority and changed schools more times than she cares to remember. To her, the world is cruel and unforgiving.

Then she meets the enigmatic Lee Weaver. With his gorgeous face and magnetic presence, he turns heads wherever he goes. Sam has never wanted anyone as much as she wants Lee, but there are things about the alluring stranger that don't add up, leading Sam to ask unsettling questions about her past. Soon she discovers the boy of her dreams is keeping a terrible secret: one that threatens to destroy everything Sam holds dear ...

Super Dark is a seductive love story that will keep you guessing right until the final page ...

The Endless Line --Thriller
Dying is not as simple as it seems.

This is what a terminal old man learns when he faces his certain death. Stuck inside his own mind, the dying man has to travel through his torn memories to collect the scattered fragments of his life, and perhaps find some meaning in what he did and did not for all this time. Only then he can depart in one piece, complete, for whatever journey he may face after that.
This novella is a twisted and abstract take on life, death, and everything between - or beyond.

Chadwick's Rare Find (An Intriguing Romance Novel) -- Romance
Before her mother died, Amber made a solemn vow to remain a virgin until she gets married. Chadwick puts her integrity to the test.

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 2:38:24 AM PST
Scary Sandy says:
This is my first shift back after my week off.....I have not stopped in over 11 hours.... This is supposed to be a 8 hour shift, AND I'm not done yet....Almost but not quite...
I haven't really over done things there was just so much that they didn't do while I was off..

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 3:38:28 AM PST
4Nbahu says:
I haven't read anything by this author but he has 5 books for free today. They look like fantasy.

Call of the Herald (Godsland Series: Book One)

Inherited Danger (Godsland Series: Book Two)

Regent (Godsland Series: Book Four)

Beyond the Veil

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 3:53:11 AM PST
4Nbahu says:
The below books are children books found courtesy from

Tell Me What You See? A Children's Picture Book.

Kevin and the Seven Lions

Spiders: Amazing Photos & Fun Facts on Animals in Nature (Our Amazing World Series)

School Is A Nightmare #3 Shocktober unread yellow banner

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 3:58:13 AM PST
BubbaK says:
Sandy-Hope you didnt over do it. I'm sure your time off helped, but don't want you yo be hurting again.

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 3:59:54 AM PST
BubbaK says:
Irish- Thanks for starting this morning!

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 4:12:48 AM PST
4Nbahu says:
Some more I picked up from

Midnight Man (Midnight)

A Vision of Murder

Shifting Shadows (Sparks Collide Trilogy)

Noah's Ark

Taffeta & Hotspur

Hint of Desire (The Desire Series) unread yellow banner

The Sourdough Wars (Rebecca Schwartz Mystery #2) (The Rebecca Schwartz Series) unread yellow banner

Treachery at Torrey Pines: A Shank MacDuff Mystery (Shank MacDuff Mystery Chronicles) unread yellow banner

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 4:30:20 AM PST
4Nbahu says:
@Irish M. I wish I could share your enthusiasm of Paris. I went there and saw all of the tourist sights. While people off the Champs Elysees were very nice, I found on the Champs Elysees to be ....... not so nice. Granted it was Oh My 25 years ago, but just think they were so not nice that that is the main thing I remember. I keep telling hubby I want to go vacationing. I'd like to see the Louvre again and the Notre Dame. I also wouldn't mind going on one of those Under the city tours. But I will avoid the Champs Elysees...Has anyone else been there? Has your experience been better than mine?

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 4:44:40 AM PST
chastermief says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 4:45:45 AM PST
chastermief says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 4:56:42 AM PST
Self promotion is not allowed in this forum
Please remove your post before Amazon does.

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 5:13:35 AM PST
Dustyjob says:
Here are some free mysteries I found today.

When the Clock Strikes Dead (Jud Carson Mysteries)

Officer Jones

Slow Curve on the Coquihalla (A Hunter Rayne highway mystery)

Dead By Dawn (Lindsay Carter)

Hope everyone has a good day!

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 5:18:20 AM PST
Irish M says:

I do want to go a little off the beaten path, and see some local stuff when I go. There is a channel on youtube that someone has videotaped walks all over Paris, "mxsmanic" is the channel name.

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 5:43:23 AM PST
Suze says:
Thanks Irish M!

Wonderful start! I just spent a few moments in Paris via some of the videos you listed. I love to read books set in France (Italy and Great Britain too!). Is your trip to Paris on the calendar yet??

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 6:23:11 AM PST
Leo Little says:
thanks for posting the children's books...I 1 click all your picks for my granddaughter

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 6:32:15 AM PST
Suze says:
Well......I guess I'm not walking this am, it's 7 degrees with a feels like temp of -11. I'll wait till this afternoon when it warms up to 12!!! : )

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 6:36:23 AM PST
{Runs in and hugs everybody} I found you!!! Granted, I couldn't have done it withouth Suze's breadcrumb trail leading me to Irish M... ;D

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 6:40:41 AM PST
@JudyD ~ a chat with Amazon was NOT helpful, however Northern Lights suggested resetting to factory settings, which I am still trying to do. Had to take girls to school, but now am home NOT doing housework... ;D

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 6:50:30 AM PST
Dustyjob says:
@wandering reader

The only problem with resetting to factory settings is that you lose everything, apps, music, etc. I just remove the books from device by hand -- takes longer, but I don't erase everything else. Maybe someone else knows an easier way, or maybe you don't have anything but books on your device.

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 7:17:49 AM PST
Good morning all :) Thank you for the start, IrishM.
Now off to the hunt - my picks this morning:

At Large (Josephine Fuller Mysteries) - Lynne Murray - Mystery/Thriller/Suspense
Thorns and Roses - T. E. Daniels - Romance
Hero of the Steppe - Corvin Beauchamp - Mystery/Thriller/Suspense
Loose Ends - Robert W. Page - Mystery/Thriller/Suspense
The House on The Hill - Laura L. Wilson - Horror
faceless - Albert Wolfe - Mystery/Thriller/Suspense
Jane Was Here - Sarah Kernochan - Mystery/Thriller/Suspense
CONDOLENCES FIRST, MURDER SECOND (An Ashleigh Warren Mystery) - Mimi Gibbons - Mystery/Thriller/Suspense

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 7:22:17 AM PST

I only had books ~ and they "supposedly" are safe in the cloud... I reset and was trying to re-register, but I can't remember how to connect to the wi-fi...

{shakes head sadly}

So, now I must wait for a child to come home from school and show the grown-up how to make my kindle work...

sad, isn't it?

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 7:27:55 AM PST
Zoo Keeper says:
Good Morning.
Thank you, Irish for the start. I've never had the pleasure of Paris. May find time to check out the videos later.

Tell me, Suze, how do I look?? <Zoo, models toboggan, mittens, and barn coat.> Does this make me look fat? I know most people don't wear their stuff in the house and typing in mittens is hard, but it's cooooollllllllddddddd. The back porch thermometer says 18F, the porch is on the East side, so it's getting sun. The wind chill is 0F. They are claiming it will warm up to 20F, but the wind chill will drop to the negative numbers. Would you like to borrow my coat and mittens for your walk?

Take things slow. Don't over do it. Don't you sometimes wonder what the place would look like if you had to take off 6 weeks or so?? It's easy to see why you are so good at what you do. Your standards are high and you want things right, which is what I want to see when I visit a medical center. Rest as much as you can.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 7:30:39 AM PST
Zoo Keeper says:
Wandering Reader,
I spend a lot of time waiting for a kid to show me how to operate all this "newfangled" stuff.

My best advice to people with computer/tech problems has always been, find a teenager. hehe
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
What's New in IOS Version 4.12?
56 1 day ago
Introducing Fire-Setting an Entirely New Standard for a Tablet under $50
0 Sep 18, 2015
Introducing the All-New Fire HD: Powerful Tablets Designed for Entertainment
0 Sep 18, 2015
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
FREE Books and Chat (FB&C) November 2015 1000 12 seconds ago
It's After Midnight and I Just Opened a Bottle of Wine 4414 2 minutes ago
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks III 7794 2 minutes ago
The Quirkier, The Better! Bring Your Dogs, Cats, Exploding Chickens, So Geese, Fighting Turkeys, Goats, Fluffy Sheep, Cows, Velvet Monkeys, Big Honking Bats, Fishlettes And Cherie! Tally Ho! 4730 2 minutes ago
3G Optional 5 5 minutes ago
Moving limited download ebooks from one device to another device 2 10 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #5: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food 4547 12 minutes ago
Kindle Fire Hd 7" shuts down 6 13 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  36
Total posts:  262
Initial post:  Jan 22, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 23, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions