Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

kindle paperwhite battery

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 15, 2014 7:09:22 AM PST
My paperwhite battery only lasts a couple of days so I believe that I need a new one. How can I get a new battery

Posted on Feb 15, 2014 7:22:52 AM PST
It is not possible that you need a new battery - no Paperwhite is old enough yet. And the battery is not designed to be replaced.

Try restarting the Kindle. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds, then put it down while it reboots.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2014 7:40:43 AM PST
B. Marks says:
I'd give Amazon's Kindle customer service a call. If you battery has gone bad it's probably defective and they'll probably find a way to get you a replacement Kindle. If it's in warranty it probably won't cost you anything. If it's not, they're good about giving big discounts.

Be sure to talk to Kindle CS, not regular Amazon CS.

Barry

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2014 7:50:48 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
it's possible that you have a book or books stuck indexing - search on your home page for some nonsense string like aspofkdn and see if you see a XXX books unindexed message

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2014 8:13:03 AM PST
Betron says:
I also have a new Paperwhite and needs to be recharged every week while the literature says it has a long battery life. I checked the manual and it said that putting it in Airplane mode when not downloading will save battery life. I am going to try this. Any comments, suggestions?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2014 8:16:11 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
it helps, also, don't keep the light on the highest setting and also do the search for books stuck indexing - I have a Kindle Touch and one of the last updates required re-indexing all the books and it almost completely drained my battery in about 6 hours

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2014 8:19:38 AM PST
Betron says:
Thanks for the advise - now how do I "re-index" ?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2014 8:22:33 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 15, 2014 8:23:24 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
you don't, mine just did it spontaneously and scared the heck out of me as I watched my battery indicator go down and down and donw - if a book is stuck indexing, remove it, not the name, and let the indexing continue, then redownload it later

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2014 8:32:09 AM PST
B. Marks says:
They advertise the Paperwhites as having a 2 month battery if you read 30 minutes a day but that's really pretty much marketing hype. With an e-ink screen the main use of the battery is changing pages so a fast reader will use the battery faster than a slow reader who reads for the same amount of time. It's also influenced by the brightness of the light and the use of Wifi and by reindexing.

I have 3 Paperwhites and I did have a fourth one which I sold. Before that I had other Kindle models. I've charged them all once a week and sometimes more, depending on how much reading I do. I don't let the battery get below about half full and I prefer not to let it get below about 70% or so.

Compared to tablets this is excellent battery life and I'm satisfied with it.

I've owned tablets, laptops, portable media players, etc. I've never owned a device that gets anything close to the battery life they claim to get. I've learned never to believe the promises of marketing people.

Barry

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2014 8:40:59 AM PST
Betron says:
Thanks for all the information. I read a lot and am a fast reader. So it seems that my Paperwhite battery is not defective. I have also turned down my backlight and turned off the wifi. So, we'll see how it goes.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Feb 15, 2014
Latest post:  Feb 15, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions