Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

how to read brief discription of books purchased ??

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 27, 2013 2:35:48 PM PDT
Mocha's Mom says:
I can see the book covers on my Kindle Fire HD, but how can I read a description for each book? I have a couple hundred books already on my shelf
and can't remember the details of all of them.???????

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2013 2:47:41 PM PDT
R. Cipriani - It the book has X-ray you can usually see a description there from within the book. Otherwise, you need to go to the Store to see a description.

Posted on Jul 27, 2013 4:31:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 29, 2013 7:07:29 AM PDT
deannah says:
I have used Calibre (it's free) to manage my book library. Have created a catalog of all my books, close to 600 now, with a description of each that includes the downloaded "metadata." This catalog I have converted into a book which I have sent to my Kindle HD. This includes the title, author and description of each book. Really very handy when looking for a new book to read.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2013 6:05:23 AM PDT
I am technologically challenged. Can you explain what calibre is and how to do this?

It's a pain to go into xray each time to see a synopsis. Are there any other ways to organize books on the fire hd?

Posted on Jul 28, 2013 6:28:24 AM PDT
If you want to read the description touch the book page to get the settings bar to appear touch the x-ray open that if the book is not available just the arrow and it will open to the book like it would appear in the store and scroll down to the description.

Posted on Jul 28, 2013 6:44:17 AM PDT
Vickie, Calibre is a an excellent free ebook library management program that you download and install on your computer and which allows you to sort, organize, create collections, retrieve and edit metadata such as summaries and book covers, and much more. Its GUI (user interface) will display your entire library on a single page which is scrollable and sortable by columns (title, author, series, etc).

You can read about it here: http://www.howtogeek.com/73979/how-to-organize-your-ebook-collection-with-calibre/

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2013 12:52:54 PM PDT
deannah says:
Vickie, James answered your question, but wanted to add my recommendation as well. Calibre is an excellent addition to the Kindle. It might be a bit of a challenge learning it's capabilities, but well worth it in the long run. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2013 12:59:34 PM PDT
vickie - If you think going to x-ray is a pain, then Calibre isn't for you. JMHO.

Posted on Jul 28, 2013 1:20:12 PM PDT
Unless the book includes it as part of the front matter (and only a few do) you have to go to the store to read it. Pain in the neck. I hate that and usually sort on my PC to pick something to read. Some authors started including the description at the front, but not enough do it to be reliable.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2013 1:25:50 PM PDT
Mocha's Mom says:
what is so weird.. if you have the Kindle app on another tablet or phone it Has that easy function just tap the book and it pulls up an option that says Shelfari book extras an when you tap that it opens a brief description of the book.. but it won't show on the KINDLE itself ? and it even says it is Shelfari by AMAZON ???? makes no sense..

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2013 1:37:00 PM PDT
R. Cipriani - X-ray has the link to Shelfari in it. It's really quite easy.

Posted on Jul 28, 2013 6:14:05 PM PDT
I wish the description were part of the "right toggle" when the book is selected. I load my kindle and travel outside of wi-fi or 3g connection a LOT. Connecting to check the description isn't an option. Shrug. I've gotten used to it, but I did just spend an hour sorting book in my 'library' so that I knew what a few of the books were about. Descriptions with a click or toggle sure would be nice.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2013 5:39:45 AM PDT
Pineapple, you're one of the most knowledgeable and helpful contributors to the forums and I always appreciate the help and tips you provide but take issue with you about Calibre vs x-ray.

The problem with x-ray is that you have to turn on wifi or 3G, select an individual title, connect to the server, then scroll or page through the info. If you have several hundred books, this isn't a very user friendly way to browse and find relevant book info. With Calibre, all of this information is displayed in a single page GUI and is fully customizable, searchable and sortable.

Calibre isn't for everyone and if you're content with Amazon's system, by all means stick with it. However, for many of us, Amazon's limited options for organizing and sorting our libraries and for retrieving relevant metadata are simply not acceptable and are among the most frequent complaints by users on these forums.

It isn't particularly difficult to install and set up Calibre and there are tons of articles, tutorials, videos, and discussion forums to help new users. I find Calibre to be almost indispensable and can't imagine managing my ebooks without it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2013 6:03:47 AM PDT
I don't manage my books. My books manage me. Rather like a small child walking a particularly large and enthusiastic dog.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  Jul 27, 2013
Latest post:  Jul 29, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions