Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Big Savings in the Amazon Fall Sportsman Event Baby Sale
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Wifi issues on KFHD 8.9 device, suggestions welcome

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 42 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 29, 2012 7:08:30 AM PST
C. Flannagan says:
To save everyone some time, here are the relevant tidbits:

Brand new Kindle Fire HD 8.9, got it as a xmas gift for my wife.
There is absolutely no issues whatsoever with any of our other devices using our wireless connection.
The following devices connects with no issue: 7 Apple products (AppleTVs, iPhones, Macs, etc), as well as a PC laptop, a Chromebook, a wireless Canon printer, and two Wii's.

Yet, frustratingly, the KFHD 8.9 keeps losing connectivity for unknown reasons. Router logs reveal nothing about what could be wrong. This behavior DOES NOT HAPPEN with any of our other devices.

Already done my diligence and researched those forums here, and already tried the commonly suggested remedies: "forgetting" network, rebooting router, rebooting KFHD, etc.. which did work but it was only temporary. We were able to browse fine, but then hit the connectivity problem again some minutes later.

Need a solid suggestion/solution thats gets rid fo this problem once for all.

If this can't be resolved, sadly, I have no choice but to start talking with Amazon CS about returning the device for a refund. I would rather avoid that if possible - we were really looking forward to using this product - we have been Amazon Prime members for a long time so this is kind of a surprise to us considering how smooth our Prime experience has been, outside using a Kindle Fire.

Thanks in advance

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 7:10:22 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
Have you made sure your router has the latest firmware?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 7:11:35 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 29, 2012 7:14:10 AM PST
C. Flannagan says:
Aye. I'm more focused toward the KF HD 8.9 device through, I think the problem is really in the device/software somewhere.

There's no evidence I've seen so far working on this issue to suggest router is the problem.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 7:14:06 AM PST
Dittie says:
Which network-connected device are you telling to forget the network, the KF? Tell an iPhone or two to forget the network then shut it/them off completely, not just asleep. Next, reset the router by unplugging it for a minute. Plug that back in and wait for all the lights to stop flashing. Reboot the KF then connect it to the network. After the KF is connected, turn on and connect the iPhone(s).

Just curious, do you have AT&T DSL?

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 7:16:58 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 29, 2012 7:18:05 AM PST
C. Flannagan says:
No, I have Verizon Fios.

I can try that, but my fear is that kind of solution is only going to be temporary - as in we'd run into that issue again if we happen to take one or more devices offline and then back into our network, then I'd have to do your solution all over again.

Seems as when I look at those forums, this issue is somewhat widespread. Has Amazon officially mentioned anything on this matter - ie: whether their engineers have identified the issue, were able to reproduce it, and is working on a solution?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 7:21:20 AM PST
Dittie says:
I don't know where Amazon is in this equation. I also don't have a KF nor any plans to get one. What I do know, though, is that I had similar problems connecting my K3 and only my K3. Once I reconnected after telling another mobile device to forget the network, I never had another connectivity problem with it or any other wi-fi devices.

Anyway, you've come this far. It takes five minutes to try this and then you just go about your business with the KF while you determine if this works. If it doesn't, you're no worse off.

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 7:59:25 AM PST
Gary Nunn says:
I also have this issue with my Kindle Fire 1. C. Flannagan, I agree with you that the issue is *NOT* your router. My WiFi connection drops repeatedly, it's NOT my router. It happens on every router that I've connected to for troubleshooting. While I've been troubleshooting, I've noticed these symptoms:

1. The WiFi connection is most unstable when the screen is first unlocked.

2. The WiFi connection drops while web pages are initially trying to load. The page partially loads, the connection fails.

3. When browsing under "Books" or "Newsstand" the WiFi connection rarely drops.

4. Even when standing 2 feet away from the router, the connection drops, and all other devices stay connected.

5. Powering down the Kindle and restarting seems to fix it temporarily.

6. This problem has only manifested in the last 2 months, before then, the connection was solid and reliable.

Nothing has changed on my router, this is *NOT* a router issue.

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 8:01:18 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
and mine drops all sorts of things repeatedly - I have to reset my router at least every other day (I'm on the third one now)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 8:11:51 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 29, 2012 8:12:11 AM PST
C. Flannagan says:
Gary Nunn,

I haven't been taking notes as to where wifi connections drop yet - thanks for your list, now I can try to see if I'm having the same thing manifest. Now that you mention those symptoms, I will pay attention as to if our wifi connection drops in the same places. And yes, our problem often manifests itself while using Silk browser. This lead me to investigating in whether I should download another browser to see if the experience is somewhat better.

Interesting that you mentioned this issue manifested in the last 2 months - I have had a KF only for a couple of days, so I don't know of what it was like "before". Is it possible that a KF OS update broke things at one point about 2 months ago?

I'm getting worried that Amazon has not yet acknowledged this type of issue, and I can see clearly that I'm not the only one having this type of issue (ie: other devices are fine on my wireless network, but not KF).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 8:12:28 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
I would still check for a firmware update. New devices coming out have newer technology and the router may need to be updated to work fully with it. My router is 6 years old and I have had to update the firmware 3 times and everything works great on it. This should be an easy process.

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 8:21:16 AM PST
C. Flannagan says:
Happy New Year Dittie

Bad news, your solution did not work. In fact, I went beyond what you suggested. I disconnected EVERY device - Wii, AppleTVs, wireless laptops, etc..

Rebooted router (by unplugging, waiting few mins, plugging it back in). Kindle Fire HD had network forgotten, then was rebooted, and was first device to get onto our wireless network. iPhones, AppleTVs, etc was added last.

Couple of webpages was fine.. I keep visiting websites.. trying to get this issue to manifest.. then, bam, visited CNN.com, got a "Webpage Not Available" message. The Wifi symbol is still on, 100% signal.

Not good, going to contact Amazon CS to see if I can get money back, or some serious reassurance that this issue can be resolved.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 8:24:54 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Have you tried connecting to any other wifi? Again have you checked for a firmware update for your router. I used to repair computers for a living and you would be surprised how many problems were fixed with firmware updates. Oh well, your choice.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 8:25:00 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 29, 2012 8:29:40 AM PST
C. Flannagan says:
Jazzy_Jeff

I understand that it's far easier to blame the router if the root cause has not yet been identified by Amazon. I've seen too many "check your router" posts for my liking in the other threads. This need to stop, and Amazon needs to speak up as to why this is happening only to Kindle Fire and not on any of my other 8+ devices I have on my network of varying types: iPhones, Wiis, iPad, Macs, PC Laptops, AppleTVs. Yes those devices are ALL connected ALL the times, and they're FINE.

But to answer your question, as I've already previously indicated in an earlier post, the router firmware *is* already the latest.

Hopefully this is the last time I have to entertain the notion that router might be to blame.

edit: "I used to repair computers for a living and you would be surprised how many problems were fixed with firmware updates." I totally get what you're saying about updates mysteriously resolving issues - I've seen this myself before, but fact remains, this is an issue that Amazon needs to investigate. And no offense, but "compter repair" folks are kind of on bottom of the totem pole from my POV.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 8:27:28 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
I am not blaming anything. I am trying to find a fix for your problem. Send the Fire back for all I care if you are too lazy to look for an update. Enjoy your weekend, I am done here.

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 8:32:26 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 29, 2012 8:33:06 AM PST
C. Flannagan says:
Jazzy_Jeff:

"I am not blaming anything. I am trying to find a fix for your problem. Send the Fire back for all I care if you are too lazy to look for an update. Enjoy your weekend, I am done here."

Ok, 3rd time I have to state this - router firmware is the latest. You obviously skipped over my previous posts where I repeatedly indicated that router firmware is the lastest in this very thread, presumably to save yourself some time, because you can't be bothered to read everything, yet you're accusing me of being too lazy to update the firmware? Ironic.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 8:44:44 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
I just read all of your posts and the only one that states that you checked your firmware was one you modified 7 minutes ago. So, no I am not being lazy. As for computer repair folks being on the bottom of the totem pole I could care less. People like you kept me very busy and working before I became disabled.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 8:47:23 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 29, 2012 8:49:35 AM PST
C. Flannagan says:
"I just read all of your posts and the only one that states that you checked your firmware was one you modified 7 minutes ago"

Try a hour ago. 3rd post in this thread. I replied "aye" to Peachy Pat. Really no room for confusion here.

And furthermore, you were still making replies that I was too lazy to check for firmware update *AFTER* I replied to you directly that I do in fact have the latest firmware.

Quit derailing this thread any more than you already have.

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 8:53:10 AM PST
Michelle says:
We are having issues with our Fire HD disconnecting our wireless router - check out this thread: Kindle Fire HD kills my internet connection. Everything in our house has been checked including having our cable company rewire our entire house and add an amp to our internet cables. None of it is helping. The thing is, it is only doing this on one Kindle Fire HD 8.9 - not the most recent one. And we have been able to use the one causing issues in other locations and we don't have issues with it disconnecting the wireless connections.

When it happens at our house it happens after the wireless on the Fire is on for about 45 minutes - an hour. Then all wireless connections in the house drop. The things I have wired in, ie. 2 IP phones, will still work. We have a Netgear Router and Cisco Modem. I am a tech support person and I have tried everything to fix this - we even switched out our router. Nothing is working. If you guys come up with anything, we would love to know. All router firmware has been updated to the latest build too.

Amazon CS only tells us that it is a faulty device and we need to have it sent in and and new one mailed out but we don't want to take the chance of getting a refurbished one or it still happening. This has to get fixed soon!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 8:53:23 AM PST
Dittie says:
Being the one asking for help, you might want to reconsider how important it is to you that people reply only with answers you want to hear. Send it back and get on with your life, already.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 8:55:04 AM PST
Dittie says:
So derailing yet another thread is helpful, how, exactly?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 8:56:17 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
"Aye. I'm more focused toward"

This does not make it clear. Maybe in redneck but I don't speak fluent redneck. I just have a basic understanding of it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 8:58:15 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Well then just wait. I am sure it will be fixed by magic.

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 9:02:31 AM PST
C. Flannagan says:
M. Theve is sharing details that might be relevant to the issue. There is quite a number of us experiencing this issue, and it helps to share details which might reveal some commonality. I thank M. Theve for sharing those details.

Googling on this issue, it is indeed a bit more widespread than some people here are led to believe.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 9:12:47 AM PST
Dittie says:
Except that when it's all about me, me, me, that person needs to start his or her own thread and not drop in to random existing threads with useless demands such as "This has to get fixed." That's about as helpful as asking for suggestions and then arguing about why you don't want to even try what was suggested. And, apparently you don't realize this, and I'm not so sure I give a flying fig anymore, but there are more and more people here by the hour having problems but demanding magical solutions, and fewer and fewer people here who find it worth their while to even try to help anymore because it's futile. Count me among the second group.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 9:18:22 AM PST
The demands are too high.
Suggestions and discussion are met with derision.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  42
Initial post:  Dec 29, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 29, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions