Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Freetime & Lending Library

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 30, 2012 8:48:24 AM PST
I borrowed a book for my son from the lending library. I can't seem to be able to add the lent book to his FreeTime profile. I am able to add any purchased books. Is there just no way?

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 1:36:44 PM PST
gadget guy says:
I'm having this happen too, is there any way around it?

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 9:20:07 AM PST
Here's what I wrote in another thread on a similar topic:
I chatting with Support and received the following information:

Upon further checking my resources here. I'm sorry to inform you that Prime Instant Video content, video rentals, public library books, or borrowed books from the Prime Lending Library can't be added to FreeTime.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 4:57:48 AM PST
Charles Neal says:
Very poor decision in my opinion. Freetime makes the Kindle a very good option for kids (even over iPad and other tablets) but then we don't get one of the major selling points with the library. For the amount of content you get, kids books are far more expensive than other books and my son goes through them very fast. Do I really have to turn off Freetime just so he can check them out? That seems crazy. I really hope they change this policy as I don't really see a financial up side for Amazon and it makes both features far less useful.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 5:12:12 AM PST
FreeTime has absolutely ZERO to do with the KOLL. The KOLL is a *perk* of the PRIME *shipping* program.

They are completely unrelated.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 5:23:33 AM PST
Baffling, huh. That's my word of the day.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 5:30:53 AM PST
HJ Leonard says:
Is he referring to KOLL or the public library? I can't tell.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 5:31:39 AM PST
You do understand that the lending library provides ONE BOOK per calendar month per account, right?

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 5:33:03 AM PST
Charles Neal says:
I would say it is a problem with both. Either public library or lending library. If the devices is allowed to have the content, why can't I let it share with my kid's area?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 5:34:24 AM PST
J. Gatie says:
Let me get this straight: Your "son goes through them (books) very fast", so you are expressing an abbynormal level of disdain because you can't give him access to *one* more book a month? Really? Tell you what . . . why don't you get like a 1000 pager for yourself each month, that way you aren't wasting your free book on something he's going to read in 15 minutes, thus maximizing your "investment"?? Sound good?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 5:35:40 AM PST
Just Peachy says:
The Freetime Unlimited provides unlimited access to many books. Much better deal than the one-per-month from KOLL.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 5:36:58 AM PST
Dittie says:
But you realize *this* discussion was about the KOLL *lending* library until you hijacked it, right?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 5:38:01 AM PST
Yeah; I hear some of those books available on FreeTime Unlimited are interactive, too. If I had young children or grandchildren, I'd seriously want to subscribe to this feature.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 6:35:59 AM PST
Charles Neal says:
Surprising level of hostility here.

I was initially talking about the KOLL, but then was asked about regular library books and responded that I see the same problem with either feature. No hijacking intended by my use of "library" as opposed to fully specifying "lending library" since that was the topic.

My base issue is not only that it is not available in Freetime, but that it is not clear until after you get your Kindle and realize it is not as simple as the product page lets on.

Kindle's feature list states that you can use KOLL if you have prime. It also boasts about how great the Freetime features are for managing kid's content including books, movies, etc. It does not make it very clear that the features do not work together.

As an IT professional I understand there are some logistics here. It is easier to lock it to your purchased library so you can manage online. I just feel that this would be a great feature to add in future versions so that you can truly manage your purchases, prime content, etc and choose what your kids can access without having to pick which the content you have access to versus the content management aspect.

I also did subscribe to Freetime Unlimited and while it is a good service, it does not overlap the same content as the lending library and leaves a bit of a "no man's land" for kids between 9 and around 13-14 where you still may want to manage access, but their tastes are outside of the Unlimited content.

I've had a lot of parents ask me what tablet is best for their kids for content control, etc. I tend to prefer the Kindle for that age, but at present this is a big caveat to the choice of what to buy. I just think that in the long run, making all content accessible for Freetime as an option would only help sales to families.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 6:43:55 AM PST
A Customer says:
Fine. Then send your suggestion to Amazon. We're customers here, and cannot implement any changes you think should be made.

If your children's tastes are outside the FreeTime Unlimited content, there are some other parental controls. Look in the App Store.

As an "IT professional", you should know technology cannot solve every problem.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 6:51:55 AM PST
Charles Neal says:
I did email Amazon and politely voiced my concerns.

I was expressing my opinion as part of a discussion as this is a discussion forum. I am aware technology will not solve every problem, I was making a suggestion to improve the product and avoid the type of confusion that spawned this thread. I am aware of the other parental controls as well, and they also have limitations and issues that Freetime solves.

Not sure why you appear so agitated about me having an opinion or suggestion. I hope the rest of your day is better.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 7:00:58 AM PST
A Customer says:
I expressed my opinion about your opinion. Not sure why you're so agitated about that.

Suggestions to *customers* to improve a *manufacturer's* product are pointless, IMO. Suggest to the manufacturer directly, as you've done. But we *customers* can't do anything other than offer work-arounds or make suggestions.

Perhaps a combination of FreeTime and another parental control program might work. It may be a pain right now, since the children cannot exit KFTU without a pw, but it might be better than nothing.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 7:04:20 AM PST
Charles Neal says:
Thank you, and I am using those options.

Let me revise my entire post to this...

I am also disappointing by this lack of integration. I encourage anyone else that feels this should be changed to email Amazon's support and request that they make the prime options for kindle available for Freetime users as well.

No hostility intended. I do sincerely hope you have a great day.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 7:13:20 AM PST
A Customer says:
I hope you have a nice day as well. And I hope your children enjoy their Fires.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 8:16:31 AM PST
jsh1120 says:
Charles,

Your points are well taken and I regret you ran into a hostile reaction to some reasonable criticisms of Kindle FreeTime as it currently exists. It's pretty clear that Amazon has opted to provide Kindle Freetime Unlimited as a sort of "Prime for Kids" that substitutes digital content that is otherwise available as part of a standard Prime membership. Likewise, they've opted to prohibit internet access altogether rather than (at least currently) provide a filter for internet content. And apparently as an overall security feature, they've prohibited enabling sideloaded apps of any kind in Kindle FreeTime.

All of these restrictions are understandable and may even be acceptable for most parents of young children. But as you note, they are problematic for older kids, especially those in the, say, 9-13 age group. My eight year old can enjoy some of the books, videos, and apps available in Kindle FreeTime Unlimited. What she cannot do is access the Khan Academy on the internet.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2013 10:32:29 AM PDT
A. C. Bass says:
I totally agree. I like freetime because it allows me to lock out what I don't want my kids to access (unlimited web, etc.). But I was also really annoyed to find that I could neither borrow a book from the lending library nor borrow a book from the local library and allow my kids to access it from within the relatively safe confines of Freetime. We bought the Kindle largely because we liked the ability to essentially lock down the device and choose what content was accessible. The decision of Amazon to prevent us from granting our children access to borrowed books from within Freetime really makes me wish I had just gone with a different device (probably a Nexus 7 or 10).

Posted on Nov 8, 2013 3:54:39 PM PST
Charles, jsh1120, and AC Bass,
I've run into the same limitations that you've already voiced. With two nine year olds, I would have wished that freetime would allow:
- controlled access to the web (e.g. Khan Academy)
- allow viewing of movies that I downloaded from Prime,
- viewing borrowed books,
- viewing videos that I download directly to the device outside of Amazon.

Unfortunately, none of that is possible within Freetime.

Just looking at the dates on these comments, this has been the situation for more than a year, so Amazon doesn't appear to be worried about resolving anything. So I'll be returning the two HDX's I just received, and looking for a device more appropriate for parents with 9-13 year olds.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2013 4:12:17 PM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Well there you go then.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2014 5:39:16 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 16, 2014 5:41:55 PM PDT]

Posted on Jul 1, 2014 8:19:33 PM PDT
Kalle Wik says:
FreeTime not having access to KOLL books is hella stoopid! This IS a bunch of crap!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: New Update for Kindle for Android 4.6
79 2 hours ago
Announcement
Update re: Amazon/Hachette Business Interruption
0 28 days ago
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
RAoK #78 and still going! 3114 28 seconds ago
accessing multiple audible.com accounts on my Kindle Fire HDX 23 48 seconds ago
KU was automatically using my Audible Credits 4 1 minute ago
SwagBucks Thread 2496 2 minutes ago
Kobo Introduces Waterproof E-Reader 8 3 minutes ago
Kindle fire starts upside down? 1 7 minutes ago
KIndle Reset 74 13 minutes ago
cloud reader black screen in chrome 1 13 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  25
Initial post:  Nov 30, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 1, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions