Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

How do you know if the Kindle Fire HD is charging or fully charged?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 83 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 15, 2012 3:53:07 PM PDT
Consumer says:
This product only comes with a USB cord, the instructions say to use your PC to charge it, yet the troubleshooting guide says charging on your PC won't get the job done.

1. I have mine plugged into my PC, but there is no indication it's charging. How can I tell?

2. How will I know when it's fully charged, or how much charge is left?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2012 4:03:24 PM PDT
JES says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Sep 15, 2012 4:33:46 PM PDT
Consumer says:
That's just it ... there is no light. My PC recognizes it, so I assume it's charging. But unlike other electronic devices, there seems to be no indication that anything is happening. It takes 10.4 hours to charge via PC, so I guess I have a loooong wait to find out. There is no user manual. I understand there's a help manual on the device, but I didn't want to bypass set up to find it.

Posted on Sep 15, 2012 4:50:11 PM PDT
anzicco says:
I miss the indicator light too as I like to have the device off when charging. The only way to see the percentage the way the Kindle HD7 is designed, is to power on, pull down the notifications menu by swiping from the top of the screen (above the time) down, then choose MORE from the menu bar that shows up at the top and choose "Device" from that menu. Other than that you are left guessing if the battery icon is fully charged or not... I guess they felt an indicator light, which other Kindles have had, would zap too much battery life. They should at least give an option to have the battery indicator show a numeric percentage, hopefully a software update will allow for this.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2012 4:08:02 PM PDT
Shari Miller says:
just got my fire HD and have no light to tell me what is going on. how do i know??

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 5:13:43 PM PDT
jsh1120 says:
Folks,

Yes, indeed. The indicator light on the power button that was on the original KF is no longer there. It is an inconvenience but the light on the previous model was maddeningly unreliable and often didn't light at all. In any event, it's gone. However, there is a workaround.

Download "Battery HD" from the Amazon Appstore. It will give you a full screen battery status screen when the KF is plugged in as soon as you swipe the lock screen. In addition, it includes an excellent battery calibration tool that will give you an estimate of the time available on your battery for various activities.

As far as charging the KFHD from your PC, don't bother. Amazon should never have suggested it; it's simply not a viable strategy especially in view of the fact that the PC has to be up and running (not in sleep mode) to power a usb port. That's the bad news. The good news is that you may well have a wall charger that will work just fine, especially if you've purchased a cell phone in the last year, or so. If so, give one of your chargers a try. It won't harm the KFHD and it may solve your problem. If not, shell out ten bucks for the "FastCharger" from Amazon or purchase any of hundreds of alternatives, some for less. Just be sure to get a "5V" charger that puts out at least 1.8mAH of power.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 12:03:58 AM PDT
Keith says:
Battery HD does work quite well. I used it on my 1st gen Fire too.

Posted on Oct 16, 2012 3:37:08 AM PDT
If you set up your desktop to never sleep it will charge just fine. The Battery HD app is pretty kewl, and it is free.
The 0.5 Amp chargers work fine they just take longer than the handy dandy Amazon fast charger. The FastCharger supplies 5 Volts at 1.8 Amps. 'mAH' is something different and would not be approriate to the job.

Posted on Oct 16, 2012 3:39:53 AM PDT
T. Madsen says:
In settings, device it will give you the actual percentage. I'm fine with not having an LED indicator btw.

Posted on Oct 16, 2012 3:52:03 AM PDT
I've been seeing a lot of people (well just a few really) complaining about all the spurious light in our home caused by different devices with LED indicators. TVs and monitors have liittle lights glowing when we shut off our tvs and appliances. As I looks around my little office here I see a preinter LED, TH pilot Light(set is OFF) phone charger lightCable box glowing Comuters with lights inside of them(Why?) The complaint this small but growing movement has is ," We never get to be in the dark any more."

Maybe Amazon heard some of these complaints.

Posted on Oct 17, 2012 1:39:15 PM PDT
Joseph says:
to solve LED light "problems" I just use black electrical tape, blends in with most of my devices since they are all black, never see the LEDs again.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2012 9:43:52 PM PDT
monilee says:
Battery HD can also be set to announce when battery is fully charged.My favorite app.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2012 5:33:58 PM PDT
R. Kraemer says:
Is the wall charger for the fire the same as the Kindle chargers?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2012 5:47:58 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 15, 2012 12:52:17 PM PST]

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 6:19:57 PM PDT
you know its charging because when it's plugged into the computer, the batter color changes to white, when its not plugged in, the batter color is green!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 6:51:20 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 15, 2012 12:53:44 PM PST]

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 6:57:20 PM PDT
I use my iPhone charger. It provides 1A. It gets pretty warm, but it hasn't caught fire yet ;)

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 7:05:00 PM PDT
Bufo Calvin says:
I use this free app:

GSam Battery Monitor

Similar to what was mentioned above, it plays a sound (if you want) when it is fully charged. You can pick your own MP3, which is what I use.

I am not connected with that app except as a user.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 9:09:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 26, 2012 11:40:26 PM PDT
Shady says:
Bufo, did you happen to pick up the GSam Battery Icon Pack to go with that monitor app? I have it on my 1st gen Fire and have yet to try it out on my HD, having just received it yesterday. On the original Fire an icon with the % of charge displays in the corner of the lock screen as well as over the stock battery icon in the tool bar. Kinda neat.

ETA: just tried out the supplemental icon pack on my HD and it is a bit buggy. I sent an email to the developer who is good about responding and acting. It worked well for my 1st gen Fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 10:33:58 AM PST
D. Stewart says:
I use yellow electrical tape, that way you can still tell if it is working if you want, but it SIGNIFICANTLY decreases the LED pollution.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 10:42:45 AM PST
When fully charged, it raises its head from the table quickly, snorts loudly, wipes its nose and says "Oh yeah, that's the good stuff!".

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 10:45:27 AM PST
lol. Yes, it is quite startling when it does that about 3:20AM, huh.

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 11:10:55 AM PST
Amazon's Battery HD says it is not compatable with Kindle Fire HD 8.9.:(

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 11:30:52 AM PST
jsh1120 says:
That's true. However, the paid version of Battery HD (Battery HD Pro) is available for the 8.9" KFHD. Well worth skipping a latte for.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 6:27:18 AM PST
What color is the battery icon when fully charged?I have a kindle fire HD.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
News: Kindle for iOS Software Update 4.6
0 Dec 15, 2014
Announcement
Simon & Schuster Agreement
0 Oct 20, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
Get something similar to Student Model 2 2 minutes ago
Can I read the ebook on my laptop? 2 6 minutes ago
Conversations with Echo 494 18 minutes ago
Anyone have the Voyage and the yellow screen issue? 180 30 minutes ago
Amazon Echo 2319 31 minutes ago
Australian/Kiwi kindle users thread #4 - "the BBQ" 1932 43 minutes ago
How to trf a book from kindle fire to pc folder 2 57 minutes ago
have new paperwhite 1 1 hour ago
I hate my kindle fire! 292 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  56
Total posts:  83
Initial post:  Sep 15, 2012
Latest post:  19 hours ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 15 customers

Search Customer Discussions