Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Will closed proprietary Amazon version of Android OS & App Store support competitors products?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 43 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 5, 2013 10:54:53 AM PDT
If I purchase the forthcoming new Kindle Fire HDX line -- which runs on a closed Amazon proprietary version of Android and uses the closed proprietary Amazon version of an App store -- will I be able to use what are in effect competitors' products such as streaming movies with my Netflix subscription? Download and read Magazine on my Google Play Magazine subscription? I am Amazon Prime, and willing to pay extra for Amazon Kindle hardware and hope to therefore have better reading experience with Amazon books and other Amazon subscriptions. But not if locked into proprietary Amazon-only world where I cant access other subscriptions. Basically what do I gain, versus what do I lose buying Amazon Kindle tablet hardware versus a tablet from Samsung, Asus or Google, etc.?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2013 11:07:06 AM PDT
Dragi Raos says:
The only "closed" thing about Fire OS (Android 4.2.2 with vanilla launcher replaced with Amazon's own UI, more appropriate for the purpose of the device) is that is does not run Google Play store (and I am not quite sure whose fault it is).

Everyone can put their apps for sale on Amazon's Android app Store. In order to allow installing the app from other sources, all one has to do is change one option in device settings - no undocumented "hacks" needed. Before apps from Amazon's own store became available to me (I am in Croatia), I installed tens of apps, mostly from 1Mobile, GoodEReader, and GetJar. I even have Google Maps with functioning location services and StreetView - again, without hacks like rooting. If Google Play allowed download of apps to a computer rather than solely to a registered approved device, one would be able to install apps from there, too (instead of having to use another Android device, more to Google liking, as an intermediary).

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2013 11:14:47 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 5, 2013 11:16:22 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
I'll second Dragi's experience as I too (I'm in France) had to initially get all my apps from third party sites and I still get some from them that Amazon doesn't offer

ETA: I was able to install the Goodereader Store and the Mobile Market (1mobile.com) on my kindle and shop from them

Posted on Oct 5, 2013 11:18:30 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 5, 2013 11:22:15 AM PDT
J. Gatie says:
The Netflix app is available on Amazon Apps and runs just fine on a Kindle Fire. As to the lack of Google Play, it is Google which locks Amazon out, due to them classifying the Fire as a "non-Android" tablet. Anyway, the others have advised how to get apps from other sources, which Amazon fully allows.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2013 11:20:01 AM PDT
Dragi Raos says:
Thanks, J.G., I forgot to answer the Netflix part of the question.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2013 12:22:16 PM PDT
T. Schiel says:
Free apps are to found on many sites. The only problem you will have is for paid apps and auto updating apps. You have to go to the Google Play store for those (unless you can figure out a way to download the apk from the store). I have a Kindle Fire HD 8.9 for my Prime Video (plus it has HDMI out) and a Paperwhite for my monthly lending freebies, but have a Samsung Galaxy which I use the most for the time being.

Since I have Amazon covered with my Fire and PW, my next purchase will be the Nexus 7 2013 32GIGs....I really like the Android OS. I will still buy my mp3s and books from Amazon but it is a little too much of a lock down for me.

My video, the few movies I buy, I buy on BlueRay, used from the seller market on Amazon. Tablets are now your TV and your TV is now your tablet but not for me....I just have a nice Sony TV on my wall hooked up to a BlueRay Player. I buy my discs for anywhere from 6 to 9 bucks when the movies are past their prime, shipping included. Since I have Netflix and Amazon Prime, I have all the video I need.

Figure out what you want to do with your Tablet...do you want second screen, mayday help, enterprise apps and all those little perks? I use my Android tablet to read, game and some video and since the Nexus has the same specs as the Fire HDX 7, it is a better choice for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2013 1:08:51 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2013 1:38:34 PM PDT
❤ Ann says:
The product page for the Netflix app probably just hasn't been updated yet, since the HDX models haven't even started shipping.

On the Fire HDX product pages, Netflix is specifically listed as a compatible app.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2013 1:45:14 PM PDT
B. Marks says:
You won't have access to Google Play so no to that. Netflix comes pre-installed on the Fire tablets. You can look through the app store on amazon and see just what they have that isn't already built in. They have a lot.

Comparing the Fire to Samsung, etc. you gain the Amazon Prime stuff and you lose the Google Play stuff. It's not really that simple but that's the bulk of it.

The way you keep stressing "proprietary" you seem kind of pre-disposed to hate it. All tablets are somewhat proprietary. On the scale of openness, the Fire DX is probably somewhere in the middle. IOS is more closed. Samsung and Asus tablets are more open.

If you won't buy a Chevy because you can't use Ford parts in it, then you'll probably hate the Fire. :)

Barry

Posted on Oct 5, 2013 2:00:57 PM PDT
MEddy says:
@DrSteveB - You are on the right track. You lose more than you gain buying a Kindle in most respects due to the proprietary nature. True Andriod devices have access to "10 times" the native apps, plus you can do anything on the Android a Kindle can do. The ONLY reason to purchase a Kindle is if your sole purpose in life is to 'experience' Amazon content actually on that little screen - and it does look & sound fantastic - if you don't have a real T.V. with a Roku [et al] that links to your Prime account. Again, the Kindle is fantastic at what it does but just does so much less and has so much fewer apps than a real Andriod device costing only 50-100 more considering equal quality. ASUS makes a wonderful device for the same dime - Samsung an incredible device for $100 more. The GUI alone is worth it to me, plus the hundred and hundreds more apps natively supported - including a Kindle Reader that works fantastic. :)
In addition, you may not be concerned about 'business', but Kindle devices [again, due to proprietary nature] tend to not run our supported VPN client and business apps. Most vendor we have run into will support applets for Android, iPad, and Windows, but balk at Kindle - and the ones we have tried have been failures 90% of the time. Luckily, we have had only one person in 2 years try to bring a Kindle into the business.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2013 2:26:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 5, 2013 2:48:35 PM PDT
J. Gatie says:
The new Kindles now support native Android apps, there's no longer a need for a Kindle specific version. You just have to go to an app site and download them. New Kindles will also support VPN and Enterprise networking, so your point about business use is also moot. No offence, but when 90% of your post is based on old and/or false information, before posting with such authority, you might want to do a little research.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2013 3:18:39 PM PDT
MEddy says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2013 3:33:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 5, 2013 3:51:25 PM PDT
J. Gatie says:
Uhhh in case you need it spelled out in crayon, "supports native apps" means they now run native Android apps. So there is no longer *any* reason to make a "Kindle Fire O/S compatible app". If it runs on Android, it runs on Kindle Fire, and the only incompatibilities you will see are the phone/tablet type incompatibilities you see now with all Android apps. Your post was pure bunk, based on your experience with older models, and you trying to defend it is only digging the hole deeper. Better off you delete your posts, like you did the last time you embarrassed yourself with your lack of knowledge.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2013 3:35:57 PM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Just because you give him facts doesn't mean he is going to listen to you. He will still push his dribble to try and muddy the waters.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2013 3:47:00 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Oct 6, 2013 1:13:40 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2013 4:00:27 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2013 4:02:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 5, 2013 4:02:29 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2013 4:04:28 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2013 4:21:23 PM PDT
J. Gatie says:
His responses are getting hidden because he is posting misinformation based on old Kindle models. The new models do not have the incompatibilities and lack of business apps he has listed. And since you are asking for information on the new models, his outdated /incorrect posts add nothing to the thread, and thus are being downvoted. Unless you wish to make a buying decision based on incorrect infotmation?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2013 4:33:53 PM PDT
Dragi Raos says:
Netflix
Hulu Plus

etc

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2013 4:38:54 PM PDT
Dragi Raos says:
They are just one click away.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2013 4:44:54 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2013 4:45:08 PM PDT
KAragon says:
He was giving you incorrect information. How does that help you or anyone else for that matter, make an informed decision?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2013 4:50:21 PM PDT
T. Schiel says:
J. Gatie.....Let me know when you get your Fire HDX if it runs DirecTv Sunday Ticket. I'll be watching the Red Zone Channel on my Galaxy tab during the commercials on the game I'm watching on TV tomorrow. Also check out out VLC Direct Pro app which lets me stream movies to my Galaxy (soon to be Nexus 7). The Fire may cover those but I don't think the Fire will. And I don't think I could run custom launchers...I'm using Nova Launcher on my rooted Nook HD+ and iLauncher and iSettings on my Galaxy. Don't forget Live Wallpaper, frivolous decorations of my lock screen which my grandkids love. It's not all peaches and cream in the Kindle using Google Play world.

The Kindle Fires are excellent tablets but a lot of Android Tablets are also excellent. It is all in what you want your tablet to do for you. I'm lucky since I got both but I prefer Android.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2013 4:51:19 PM PDT
Dragi Raos says:
See those "Do you think this post adds..." buttons? Readers click them. When the "No" to "Yes" ratio crosses some threshold, the forum software automatically hides the post. So, it is the *readers* who "hid" those posts.

FWIW, when I encounter such posts, I immediately click "Show post anyway" and then "Show all unhelpful posts" - it's not so difficult.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  43
Initial post:  Oct 5, 2013
Latest post:  Oct 6, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions