Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Opera web browser triples browsing speed on Kindle Fire... really.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 60 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 16, 2011 10:18:18 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2011 10:21:45 PM PST
I went to handango and downloaded Opera mobile (not Opera mini) and installed it on my Kindle Fire and it opens pages anywhere between 3 and 5 times faster than the Amazon silk browser. This is really not acceptable, Amazon, and you are hurting yourselves if you don't allow Opera in the Amazon app store or if you don't somehow give Kindle Fire users the ability to disable Flash in the silk browser.

I have the iPad 2 and Kindle Fire and the Fire is FASTER browsing with Opera than the iPad's Safari browser.

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 2:22:19 PM PST
The Dude says:
After reading this, I likewise installed Opera Mobile and experienced great results. It also allowed me to log into my local library's site, which Silk could not accomplish.

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 2:45:36 PM PST
Opera and Silk are based on the same concept. The difference is that Opera's been out "in the wild" for years now while Silk is brand new.

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 2:46:31 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2011 2:47:23 PM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
If you can get it the Dolphin web browser is awesome. I use that on my Android phone. It looks like it is in the appstore.

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 2:49:05 PM PST
Ernie says:
Opera is HUGE compared to Dolphin HD. I used to use Opera on my PCs exclusively, to the point I paid for it years ago. But, no longer. There are better browsers.
Opera calls their caching of pages 'turbo.' Not a complicated trick, especially when other browsers do it for far less of a footprint.

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 2:51:57 PM PST
I will say that I have foundd making plugins "on demand" in Silk greatly improves speed too.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2011 3:20:23 PM PST
Can you tell me the URL of where I should download the Opera browser and exactly which one I should select to go on the Fire? (sorry, i'm not too knowledgeable about this)

Do I download to my PC, then sideload or should I download directly on the Fire?

Thanks!

Lynda

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 4:56:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2011 4:58:01 PM PST
First, enable "install apps from unknown sources" then go to handango dot com and search "opera" click on download by the Opera Mobile Browser (not the mini browser) and select "download.to my Pc" once it is downloaded the Fire gives you a notifications at the top of the screen. Click on it and everything is automatic.

Another suggestion... the Silk browser on the Fire is much better if you click at the bottom settings bar and select.plugins " on demand". That way it just puts placeholders where flash is and you can still click on flash content to watch. Amazon needs to put a toggle.button for this feature right on the main browser screen.

The silk browser has sped up altogether in the last 24 hours!

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 4:59:12 PM PST
Russ R. says:
Thanks for the tip, yer right, MUCH better browsing experience than Silk.

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 5:05:10 PM PST
J. Williams says:
Turning off accelerated browsing in Silk also makes browsing faster for me. Pages that stall and take forever to load will load instantly after disabling accelerated browsing.

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 5:15:39 PM PST
Dean R says:
It could be that the Amazon servers are currently being taxed to the max with all the users. Silk uses the amazon servers to "accelerate" browsing. May take Amazon a bit of time to adjust to the volume of use. I don't know how many Fires have been shipped but Amazon silk accelerated servers are going from zero users to 100K, 200K, 300K + of users in just a few days.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2011 5:21:55 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 14, 2012 11:30:25 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2011 5:23:15 PM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
I think the accelerated browsing was a bad idea. It should already be fast enough using WiFi only.

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 5:27:43 PM PST
J. Williams says:
I think Silk is more a method of saving processing power, battery saving, and memory on the device than anything. Maybe after a while it will show improved speeds but for me so far it seems slower loading in most cases.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2011 6:09:33 PM PST
James,

Thanks for the help. I enabled downloading by others, downloaded it, and nothing automatic happened. Is there something I can do to force the install to start?

Thanks,

Lynda

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2011 6:12:36 PM PST
Russ R. says:
You hafta click the menu button in the browser and click downloads and it should show up there as an APK file

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 6:12:57 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2011 6:13:19 PM PST
Click on the downloaded file!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2011 6:23:02 PM PST
Thanks! I got it!

Lynda :-)

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 7:35:33 PM PST
SteveD says:
I would love to see what's going on at the Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2), the big cluster that runs all of this. All the simulations in the world can't prepare them for letting all these folks in the door at once. I wonder if Silk will settle in a bit better after a while.

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 8:39:50 PM PST
D. SHAH says:
I disabled the plugins and turned off accelerating and it did seem to improve performance on silk somewhat. but then I downloaded opera and man it flies thrum these forum pages. I had no idea we didn't need to root to install apps outside the amazon store.

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 9:09:50 PM PST
I will say Silk renders prettier pages, flash not withstanding. Images and text are optimized for the fire, but it is nice to have both options.

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 9:17:38 PM PST
Alicia says:
Yeah I ended up downloading Opera and Dolphin HD so at least I can swith between both browsers.

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 9:35:15 AM PST
When I went to the Opera site to download Opera mobile, it asks me what the brand of my telephone is?
Please help as I would like my Fire to browse faster.
Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2011 10:11:19 AM PST
Jeff, agree. Use the Dolphin on my Galaxy and it is super.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2011 9:28:01 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2011 9:37:32 AM PST
Q says:
I keep trying to install the Opera Mobile app and the Fire keeps blocking me. I've tried from the Amazon Android app store, the Android Market App store and Opera's web site.

Where can I download & install it?

Also, I have "Allow Installations of Applications from Unknown Sources" set to "On".

Same question for the Dolphin HD browser.

Thanks
-Terry
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  34
Total posts:  60
Initial post:  Nov 16, 2011
Latest post:  May 29, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers

Search Customer Discussions