Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Why Kindle Fire HD is charging slowly?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 30, 2012 7:56:40 PM PST
Mansu Kim says:
Hello!

I bought Kindle Fire HD, and i have a problem with its charging.
I plugged the USB cable to my laptop, and the device is charging very slowly. Do I need to purchase something to increase the charging efficiency?

Also do I have start charging only after shut down the device? What about after tapping the start button?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 7:58:41 PM PST
It will require around 12 hours to charge with the USB charger.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 8:01:25 PM PST
The Blade says:
>>>>" Do I need to purchase something to increase the charging efficiency?"<<<<

This: Amazon Kindle PowerFast for Accelerated Charging (not included with device, for use with the new Kindle Fire or Kindle Fire HD models) works well to speed up your charge time.

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 8:03:08 PM PST
I have the powerfast charger and was able to charge my HD 8.9 from completely dead to 100% in 4 hours, which is better than the expected 5 hours.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 6:45:43 PM PST
Mansu Kim says:
Thank you very much!

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 7:55:18 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 1, 2012 7:56:40 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 6:12:33 AM PST
Gadek says:
Make sure you charge your HD 8.9 in a warm area or it will not charge completely. I purchased my first HD 8.9 just before Thanksgiving. I live in the Northeast just outside Philadelphia so to conserve energy, I keep my house pretty cool - around 57 degrees at night and when I am at work. I plug in the Kindle to charge at those times and could not get it to charge much past 80-85%. I thought this was Kindle problem and sent it back to Amazon for a replacement. When the second one also did not charge, I finally figured out that when I charge it with more "normal" room temps or place it on my electric blanket, it quickly and efficiently charges right up to 100%. My original Kindle Fire does not have this charging problem, so I guess Amazon is using a different type battery in the HD 8.9.

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 3:16:49 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 6, 2013 5:15:39 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 3:23:39 PM PST
Robert - If you bought the Fire from Amazon, you have 30 days to return it for any reason. The Fire was never advertised as being able to access Google Play, and 10 minutes in the forums would have confirmed that for you. Also, the product page explains very clearly how long the Fire takes to charge via the included USB cable, and additionally Amazon offers a discount on the faster charger when bought with the Fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 3:24:03 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 6, 2013 4:01:33 PM PST
Bixillarla says:
Not poor strategy. Amazon wants you to get your content from them so they did not pay the fees to add the Google Play Store.

Most people have chargers already that work with the Fire for fast charging. Why should they add a charger to every Fire and increase the price for everyone who does not need it?

The product page clearly states that the AC adapter charger is not included and sold seperately.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013 3:55:31 PM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Feb 17, 2014 9:26:11 AM PST
I purchased my Kindle fire from qvc in December 2013. It included a Kindle powerfast charger however it takes at least 12-14 hours to charge sometimes not to 100. After reading customer comments is it a problem with the charger? 12-14 hours hardly seems fast.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2014 10:34:28 PM PST
Soulrider says:
Camille, which Kindle Fire did you purchase? I only ask because the Kindle Fire HDX 7" and the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" come with different chargers. The HDX 7" comes with a 5 Watt Charger and the HDX 8.9" comes with a 9 Watt Charger. The Kindle Fire HD (depending on which model) either doesn't come with a charger or if it's the newer/cheaper one without the camera it comes with a 5 Watt Charger. Obviously the 5 Watt Charger is going to take longer to charge than the 9 Watt Kindle PowerFast Charger. However, 12-14 hours seems far to long even with a 5 Watt charger. That is unless the device was also being used at the same time it was being charged. In which case it can take longer because you're draining the battery down by using it as your charging it. If the Kindle you have is the new HD (without the camera) the product page says it should charge in under 6 hours. So, if it's taking 12-14 hours to charge and you're not using it during charging, then I would contact Amazon customer service and let them know about the problem. You may want to try doing a reset on the Kindle to see if that helps first if you haven't done so already. Customer service will probably have you try one anyway. I don't know if they have changed the procedure for doing a reset with the Kindle you have or not. Usually, you make sure the Kindle is unplugged. Push and hold the power button until it turns off by itself, ignore any prompts about turning it off. Keep holding the power button in and count to 20 (actually count). Then let go of the power button and then push the button to turn the device back on. It will take a few moments to come up from being completely off. Don't worry, you won't lose any of your data. If that doesn't help the charging issue then I would call customer service and let them know about the problem you are having.

Posted on May 5, 2014 7:49:26 PM PDT
I used one of those powerfast charger. I plugged mine up to charge Sat. it took almost 3 hours for a kindle fire . I unplugged it after it said it was fully charged , turned it off , went to turn it on this morning and it said low battery. I plugged it up using my cell charger and even though it charged slower than the powerfast charger taking just under six hours , I turned it on tonight and it was still fully charged. Not sure what happened or why it lost the charge.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2014 7:01:34 AM PDT
Soulrider says:
Angie, It shouldn't have discharged that much in that short of time unless something was running that wore it down or it was left on with the screen timeout set to "never" so the screen stayed on the entire time. Wi-Fi being left on can wear it down faster obviously than if it's off especially if it's not getting a good wi-fi connection and it's constantly dropping the connection and reconnecting. Other than those things I can't think of why it would go down so quickly after a full charge.

If it continues to have problems I would contact Amazon customer service.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2014 10:33:39 AM PDT
After charging it with my cell charger it seems to be doing fine. But i did go in and change the screen time out from never to 45 minutes too so that might have been it too.

Posted on May 16, 2014 9:10:33 AM PDT
spoksandra says:
My Kindle Fire HD keeps losing its charge as well. Also, when the status is around 52 it keeps shutting down. It also shuts down when it is fully charged. After I reboot it, it comes back up but I am having to reboot it more than I would like. I'm using the Kindle fast charger and it also charges slow at times. All of the problems are intermittent and I cannot figure out what the problem is.

Posted on Jul 18, 2014 8:58:07 PM PDT
When I plug in my fire 8.9 it says (remember your kindle fire HD is in sleep mode it will charge slower than normal ) do you have any idea what I need to do to turn off or something like that.

Posted on Nov 21, 2014 10:22:01 AM PST
julie evans says:
I have a kindle fire HD 8.9 it used to charge very quickly but now appears to be a lot slower. I put it on charge this morning at 7am after it being on charge all night and only reaching 42% this was while switched off! I came home from work and switched it back on approx 5pm and it was only at 82% it was plugged into a mains outlet that came with the device,can anybody tell my why it is no longer charging properly? Thanks in advance

Posted on Nov 22, 2014 2:39:36 AM PST
ula says:
Hmmm, now I don't feel so bad! I am using the KFHDX 7" for the 30-day trial and am returning it
One of the reasons is....it will not show its charged above 82%, same as above poster. In reality, it probably IS charged fully but is not reflecting that in upper right corner.
Also, I have a new kf3rdgen (bought just weeks prior to new models roll out!! Grrrrr!)
and the volume is much better/louder than in this HDX.
I don't find that much difference in performance, even though my 3rdgen has only a duel-core versus HDX quad-core.
Btw, I did try various chargers and outlets, as well as reboot, to see if it would display at 100% charged...but it never has shown higher than 82%.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2014 3:09:28 AM PST
Try this if you really want to charged vis USB.
Works good for me.
For USB to USB Booster Portable Charging Adapter

Posted on Nov 22, 2014 8:06:49 AM PST
Soulrider says:
I had a problem eventually with my HD 7 that seemed to charge very slowly or stop charging all together. I use a free battery app called BatteryHD (link below) which you can get free in the Amazon App Store. One of the tabs/pages in the app shows a graph of the state of charge. It shows the percent charged on one axis of the graph and the time on the other axis. It shows the time the device is charging in one color and discharging (use) in another color. It's great for showing how fast you are using up your battery and how quickly it's charging. You can even set it to verbally announce when it reaches whatever percentage of charge you want. You can have it announce when it is fully charged or when it's down to say 15% or 20% so you don't run it down any further than you want. What I found by looking at the graph was that there was a point after I had plugged the HD 7 in to charge with the Amazon PowerFast charger and the wall power outlet that it would suddenly just STOP charging completely. If I noticed this and unplugged the charger from the wall and plugged it back in again, it would usually start charging again. It was a pain to have to do this especially if it happened five minutes after you put it on the charger and then maybe didn't look at it again for hours or until the next morning assuming it would be fully charged. I had tried powering down, doing a reset (holding the power button for 20 seconds, etc) but nothing helped. I swapped the USB cable and the charger itself since I had another PowerFast charger from another Kindle Fire but it didn't help. It was the device. I called Amazon and they had me jump through a bunch of hoops trying things I'd already done. After all of that, they agreed it was the device and sent me a replacement. I haven't had any problems with charging since. I would suggest calling customer service and see what they can do for you. If you are still within the 30 day window from your purchase date or within warranty I'm sure they will swap the device out if they can't get it to charge properly and register that it's charging properly. Sometimes it IS charging fully but just not registering it and a "Reset" will get things back in sync. If you need help in how to do a reset just ask. It's very simple and you don't lose and have to reload any data like when you do a "reset back to factory defaults".

Battery

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2015 6:00:57 PM PST
Lark says:
It's the charger, not the kindle. I contacted Amazon when this happened to me and they sent me the "super fast" charger (brown rather than white), free. It was the charger, not the kindle. I bet if you get a new one your problem will be solved.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2015 6:41:24 PM PST
Soulrider says:
Gene, it may be the charger but you can't say that for sure. Charging problems can occur because of problems with the charger OR the battery. Each situation is different. My problem as noted above back in November WAS with the Kindle not the charger. The Kindle was replaced and the problem was fixed. That doesn't mean it's always the Kindle though as chargers do fail completely or stop charging after a certain point and won't charge fully, etc. In some cases the Kindle's software gets confused at to how much charge a battery is either AT or how much it can HOLD and because of that, won't ALLOW the charger to charge completely. Sometimes, doing a reset will fix that situation. But, hardware problems do happen with the charger and sometimes with the Kindle itself.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2015 8:47:18 AM PST
how much do they cost and where do you get one
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Announcement
Meet other story lovers at Write On by Kindle
60 3 days ago
Announcement
Enjoy your print books and personal documents on your Kindle with Kindle Convert.
0 Feb 2, 2015
Al's Place 35mm 8216 2 minutes ago
We're So Quirky, Our Chihuahuas Ride Bicycles! So Geese and Tally Ho! 8239 2 minutes ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion IV 1341 12 minutes ago
FREE Books & Chat - May 2015 718 14 minutes ago
Australian/Kiwi kindle users thread #4 - "the BBQ" 3544 14 minutes ago
Blocking explicit songs on Prime Music 63 15 minutes ago
Kindle Fire Charger overheating. 36 19 minutes ago
Dragi's Croatian Crab Shack and Wine Bar - The times they are a changin' 7478 29 minutes ago
RAOK 82 has a spring in its step! 1725 31 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  25
Initial post:  Nov 30, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 31, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions