Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now May4th
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Windows 7 won't recognize my Kindle

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 37 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 14, 2010 1:50:55 PM PDT
I live in an area with very spotty wireless coverage, so I elected to download the 2.5.2 update via USB. I never had any trouble whatsoever doing this with XP, but with my new Windows 7 computer, I get no recognition of the Kindle.
I plug it in, and the USB image shows up on the Kindle, and eventually a new drive appears in the computer window, but then the little circle goes round and round forever, and finally I get the message that the computer is not responding.
Has anyone else had this issue? Is there a cure?
BTW, my Kindle is the K2 US version.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2010 1:57:48 PM PDT
Jo MW says:
I saw this possible solution on mobileread forums:

1. Restart your PC
2. Restart your Kindle 2
3. Turn your Kindle OFF (by holding the slider button to the right until the screen blanks).
4. Connect your powered off Kindle 2 to your Win 7 64 bit PC

Posted on Jun 14, 2010 2:03:13 PM PDT
I had this same problem, mine was fixed by hooking the kindle into a usb hub which was connected to the back of my computer. The usb ports on the front of my computer didn't want to work with the kindle. So if you are using a front port or one on top of you computer I would try the ones on the back.

Posted on Jun 14, 2010 2:03:47 PM PDT
The Blade says:
FWIW, I have Windows 7 on a 32 bit machine and have no problems at all with it seeing my Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2010 2:08:09 PM PDT
sometimes the front usb ports are usb-1 only (mainly for lowspeed mice and keyboards). I have win7 ultimate 64 bit no problems -- although the user interface/messages are a bit different. Search these threads -- there were at least two other threads dealing with this issue about 6-8 weeks ago.

Posted on Jun 14, 2010 2:08:52 PM PDT
Marc Miwords says:
I found this written by someone back in January, hope it helps-

"I think I know what the problem is. Background: I just upgraded to a new computer (HP Elite 7000) with Windows 7. When I connected my Kindle via a front-panel USB 2.0 connector, everything froze up and I had to manually switch off the computer. I tried again, this time making the connection via a powered USB hub connected to a rear-panel connector. Everything back to normal.

Some creative Googling found that front-panel USB connectors have extra internal wiring and sometimes a separate hub in the computer. The result is that the voltage under load at the front connector can be marginal. If the Kindle needs charging, the USB voltage is even lower and the result can be no operation. The solution is to use a rear connector or (if it's hard to get at the rear) a powered USB hub connected to a rear connector."

Posted on Jun 14, 2010 2:10:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 14, 2010 2:10:53 PM PDT
K. Remesch says:
The problem isn't with Win 7. The problem is with the drivers for your USB ports. HPs are common for this with win7 -- there should be a fix on their site if that's what you have. If you are using the ports on the front, try the ones on the back, or vice versa. You shouldn't have to go through the crazy trouble of turning your Kindle off. This is a problem with the drivers from the vendor of your PC; not your Kindle, and not Microsoft.

Posted on Jun 14, 2010 2:14:24 PM PDT
Marc Miwords says:
K. Remesh, if you are responding to me, I was quoting someone from back in January who had just got a new computer with Windows 7. I was hoping it would help the OP. I don't have an HP. Or Windows 7.

If you were not responding to me, (and I assumed you were since you mentioned HP and the OP did not), then nevermind.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2010 2:31:04 PM PDT
K. Remesch says:
Oh, no. I was more or less stating that a person shouldn't have to do what jwr suggested in the second post when it's an issue the Vendor of the PC should fix (I believe HP did just recently). I didn't actually read your post when I commented -- it's just a common problem with HPs and I figured there as an off chance that the OP might have one. It's not to say that jwr's method wouldn't work, it's just that it irks me that someone would have to do that when "win7 ready" PCs were released when they clearly weren't ready.

However, I just read your post now and I realise that it certainly sounds like I was responding to you. Sorry about that.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2010 2:34:00 PM PDT
Marc Miwords says:
No worries. I understand where you're coming from, unfortunately, when I first got my Kindle, Vista would not recognize it. I did not have the option to use a back USB port as I'm on a laptop. Someone told me to do a restart of the Kindle and that took care of the problem. Hopefully something here will help the OP.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2010 2:34:34 PM PDT
Dalmane98 says:
Your statement is not correct...Concerning USB drivers...

HP USB drivers are only used if you are trying to boot from an external USB device, like pressing F12 and selecting a different boot device, otherwise once the OS starts it is all Windows 7.

The USB ports on the front of a desktop are normally considered not powered and the ones on the back are always considered powered.

You should always use powered USB ports when transferring files to any device that can be charged via a USB port.

At least in the part of the IT world, I work in...

Posted on Jun 14, 2010 2:47:04 PM PDT
flipoid says:
Okay, Dalmane98 (and I'm not being "snarky" in asking this question--I'm really curious!), if you have a laptop with multiple USB ports, which are "powered" and which are not?

For example, I have a Lenovo IdeaPad laptop that has nothing on the back (it's all taken up with the display hinge--the way that particular laptop was designed). I have one USB port on the right side of the laptop, and two USB ports on the left side.

I have an Acer netbook with two USB ports on the right side, and one on the left side.

With laptops, are some "powered" ports and some not? How do you tell?

My Acer netbook is running Windows 7 and I have had no problems connecting my Kindle to her (yes, "her"--she's pink!). I have not tried connecting the Kindle to the Lenovo (which is running Vista).

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2010 2:52:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 14, 2010 3:05:08 PM PDT
K. Remesch says:
@Dalmane98:
I could have sworn that I read somewhere that there was a power management issue that affected the USB and could be corrected by the correct drivers (I made a mistake by saying USB drivers, I suppose). It was more in relation to nVidia chipset drivers, which is what HP was using. Maybe I was wrong about that.

Weird that those drivers solved mine and a few others' problems though. I doubt they'll fix everyones problems, but it probably couldn't hurt... much. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2010 2:55:48 PM PDT
Jo MW says:
Seemed like a lot of hoops to jump through to me as well, KR, but as a person posted that it worked, I thought I'd offer it up.

Posted on Jun 14, 2010 2:58:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 14, 2010 3:02:45 PM PDT
Darren says:
I have a really simple solution that sorted similar problems out for me! I was really skeptical of this working, but it did.

Shut down your computer, but also UNPLUG the mains cable for 30 seconds or more. Then plug it back in and load Windows and try again.

(Computers still hold a charge when turned off but plugged in, and unplugging and removing all power helps sometimes - especially with USB problems as the USB ports hold a charge even when the comptuer is turned off so that USB booting is possible with suitable devices.)

I was pulling my hair out with erratic USB behavior for weeks if not months, and never thought to do this.... and to be honest when I saw someone suggesting such a simple solution, I still thought it would be a waste of time --- but it worked.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2010 3:08:15 PM PDT
Dalmane98 says:
I would not consider the question to be "snarky" at all...I get asked worse than that all the time.

Normally the ports on the back of a laptop are considered to be powered. That is because they are physically connected to the motherboard.

Without looking up the motherboard and looking at how the USB ports are connected, my professional opinion is that the single port is powered and the twin ports are not.

The reson for that is, external CD-ROM drives and USB external drives, like from Transcend, normally come with a USB cable that has 2 Connecters that connect to the computer, so that the device does not over power the usb ports. That typically happens with ports that are not considered powered.

The single USB port on my ASUS 1002HA is the powered one.

The best thing to would be to call tech support for the computer and ask.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2010 3:12:44 PM PDT
Dalmane98 says:
That is what I do at work...It always works for bad problems..

There is a good free software program called usbdeview, that works wonders too.

Especially if you have assigned a drive letter to an external USB device by mistake...

Posted on Jun 14, 2010 3:14:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 14, 2010 3:18:40 PM PDT
Darren says:
@Dalmane98 --- my understanding was that some devices have USB connectors that have 2 connectors so they are backwards compatible with USB1.1 (in effect doubling the slow USB1.1 transfer speed on older devices that don't have the much faster USB2.0 ports that look identical). This is nothing to do with power sharing or avoiding overloading. USB2.0 ports only require the one, (usually a slightly thicker cable to differentiate), but older USB 1.1 devices need both cables plugged in to separate USB1.1 ports to share the data transfer load.

Edit: As an example - I have several devices, (external Hard Drives, etc.) that have such a cable, which splits into two USBs. I only need use the thicker single USB on a more modern computer with USB2.0 ports, but need to plug in both the USB connectors on older computers that only have USB1.1 ports.)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2010 3:27:43 PM PDT
Dalmane98 says:
I am not being *snarky* or flaming...

Here is a direct quote from Transcend:

"*To ensure the StoreJet 2.5 receives a sufficent amount of stable power while in use, Transcend recommends that you plug in the USB-Y cable's connectors to your computer, it will supply the StoreJet 2.5 with adequate power for normal operation. Please also avoid using a USB HUB when connecting StoreJet25 to your computer to avoid the possibility of insufficient power supply."

Link to site:

http://alturl.com/hryt

You can check other sites for yourself...Hate to say this but Apple would be a good one to check as they are USB crazy...

Thickness of the cable has nothing to do with transferring...Thin cable is the one added to the regular cable to make it a Y cable.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2010 3:34:33 PM PDT
This is exactly how my windows vista acted. I had to go to my son's windows xp to get the manual download.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2010 3:52:17 PM PDT
Dalmane98 says:
Vista is junk...Right up there with Windows Me
Windows Me (Millennium Edition) = Vista and the way software should never be

XP = Windows 7 and are close to the way software should be

Just MNSHO

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2010 5:39:21 PM PDT
GDabney says:
I have Windows 7 and downloaded the manual 2.5.2 update today with the help of customer service,(I'm not very computer savvy) with no problem

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2010 5:47:45 PM PDT
I too have an Ideapad Y530 running w7ult; I have had no problems with my KDX on any of the 3 USB ports. The interfacing/messaging is a bit different than on my other laptop: a Toshiba Qosmio running Windows XP SP3, but both handle the kindle correctly.

Posted on Jun 14, 2010 5:54:12 PM PDT
flipoid says:
Okay, maybe some fellow Windows 7 users can answer this one for me.

When I connect my Kindle to my XP computer at work, and then do the step to "safely remove hardware," my Kindle's screen *immediately* returns to displaying the Home page even though the USB cable is still connected to my computer and the Kindle is still charging.

When I connect my Kindle to my Windows 7 netbook, and then do the step to "safely remove hardware," my Kindle continues to display the USB screen (the one that tells you to safely eject if you want to keep using the Kindle while it's still connected). It displays this screen until I actually disconnect the USB cable from the netbook, or disconnect the Kindle from the USB cable.

Does anyone know why it does this and how I can fix it so it works the same as on my XP computer?

Posted on Jun 14, 2010 5:57:10 PM PDT
Marc Miwords says:
flipoid, how are you "ejecting" the Kindle? I don't have Win7 but I'm wondering if it has to be done the same as on Vista which is to go to "Computer", find the Kindle drive, right click on the icon, scroll down and then click 'eject'. For me and my Vista, I was unable to "eject" it any other way and have it be usable.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Kindle Fire HD 7": Auto Brightness Not Working? 16 13 minutes ago
What is my kindle email address? 41 17 minutes ago
Hear Ye! Hear Ye! We're Quirky And We're Not Going To Take It Anymore! 2016, You've Been Warned! So Geese And Tally Ho! 8087 18 minutes ago
voyage vs paperwhite which is better? 34 20 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #5: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food 7557 23 minutes ago
Landscape view? 2 27 minutes ago
My latest order has not come through on my Kindle. I have new Address. The Address is Sidney Peters, 400 Clocktower Ridge Drive Apt 15, Winchester, Va. 22603 4 31 minutes ago
Music Not Working in Kindle Fire 34 33 minutes ago
Free Books and Chat (FB&C)---May 2016 184 42 minutes ago
Kindle repair in Bangalore, India 8 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  37
Initial post:  Jun 14, 2010
Latest post:  Dec 24, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions