Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

i can no longer loan The Book Thief

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 7, 2014 10:22:41 AM PST
One Reader says:
I have been able to lend The Book Thief previously on my Kindle. I have notlent it out since January. When I tried to lend it today I no longer have this option. Has anyone had a similar situation? Who controls this sincerity have paid for it I should be able to dictate how I use it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2014 10:23:35 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 7, 2014 10:26:14 AM PST
Kindle e-books are only lendable ONCE. If you've loaned it out, you're done.

Edit to add: And MOST e-books aren't lendable at all. Only a select few. And that only ONCE for ONLY 14 days. Whether a book is lendable or not is up to each individual publisher.

What you paid for was permission to read the author's words on your particular device. You did not pay for permission to allow anyone ELSE to read your "copy" of the words.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2014 10:26:20 AM PST
You can only loan a Kindle book once, if you can lend it at all.

You have not purchased a book. You have purchased a nontransferable license to read it on devices registered to the account used to purchase it. The publisher owns the rights to the book and determines if it can be loaned or not. You also cannot trade, exchange, donate or sell the license.

Those are the terms you agreed to when you made the purchase (even if you didn't bother to read them before you did it).

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2014 10:28:38 AM PST
New Girl says:
It is controlled by the person who holds the copyright. You do not own the file, you have purchased a license to digital content. The copyright holder (typically the publisher) decides what you can do with it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2014 10:29:54 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 7, 2014 11:26:21 AM PST
I can't find an e-version of The Book Thief that *is* lendable. Can you provide a link to the product page of the version you own?

Because this one: The Book Thief: Enhanced Movie Tie-in Edition I notice isn't lendable anyway.

I also don't find another version of the book. Edit to add: There is one; see below.

Posted on Mar 7, 2014 10:30:14 AM PST
The way to share a book is to put the Kindle of the person you wish to share with on your account. Then, that person will have access to every book in your cloud archive.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2014 11:21:07 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
unless they have a Fire, and then they'll lose access to everything else on their Kindle

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2014 11:23:42 AM PST
My preferred method would be to get a basic Kindle, load on there what books I'd like to share, and loan that out.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2014 11:24:53 AM PST
KaJoLa says:
This one is lending enabled:

The Book Thief

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2014 11:25:42 AM PST
Ahah! Now, when I do a cold search for that title, it doesn't come up. Thank you!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2014 11:26:39 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 7, 2014 11:27:10 AM PST
PF says:
Never mind. :D

KoJoLa beat me to it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2014 3:10:35 PM PST
A. Dietz says:
KaJoLa, actually that version is NOT lending enabled. From the product description:

Lending: Not Enabled

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2014 3:13:26 PM PST
It shows up as Lending Enabled for me. Maybe you are not in the US?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2014 3:16:53 PM PST
Just Peachy says:
Shows as Enabled for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2014 3:45:50 PM PST
Not Enabled for me! Okay, WEIRD.

Posted on Mar 7, 2014 4:26:26 PM PST
Carbonbased says:
KaJoLa's link takes me to the edition I already own, which is lending:enabled and offers lending in the yellow banner across the top. I am in the US. As to the OP, it stated the book had already been lent, so as many replied, the problem is the 'once' limit.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2014 4:28:01 PM PST
A. Dietz says:
Nope, I'm in the US, at the least time I checked. I'm a couple of hours from the Canadian border, maybe that's the issue. ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2014 4:28:58 PM PST
A. Dietz says:
Very strange because KaJoLa's link takes me to the edition I already own, and it's NOT lending enabled. Very odd.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2014 4:43:48 PM PST
Carbonbased says:
That is a puzzle. I wondered if it was linked to when we each purchased (2009 here,) so I signed out, used KaJoLa's link and it still says:
File Size: 3446 KB
Print Length: 578 pages
Publisher: Knopf Books for Young Readers; Reprint edition (December 18, 2007)
Sold by: Random House LLC
Language: English
ASIN: B000XUBFE2
Text-to-Speech: Not enabled
X-Ray: Enabled
Lending: Enabled
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  Mar 7, 2014
Latest post:  Mar 7, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions