Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Gutenberg.org

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 18, 2013 7:07:36 PM PDT
I would like to know if it is possible (and How?)to download books (free) from the Gutenberg site to my Kindle via wireless.I have tried and had issues with the format.
Thanks
John

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2013 7:32:06 PM PDT
Old Rocker says:
Not a direct answer to your question, but many Gutenberg books are on Amazon. You just have to search a bit because, being free, they won't be featured.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2013 8:14:43 PM PDT
O.R.

thanks for the tip! I found 4 books at Gutenberg that I wanted which are for free but Amazon charges. Now I would like to find out how to download from Gutenberg to My Kindle?

John

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2013 8:18:25 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 21, 2013 7:41:57 AM PDT]

Posted on Sep 18, 2013 8:19:47 PM PDT
bookcrazy says:
For grins, I just went to Gutenberg and download a book in the kindle format and had no problems. what specifically do your prompts tell you to do?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2013 8:21:11 PM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
That depends. I haven't gotten a book in a while from Gutenberg but I know in the past the books didn't have any table of contents. I have seen some of those books with added table of contents and I don't mind paying a buck or 2 for them adding it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2013 8:21:17 PM PDT
R. Wilde says:
http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Free_Kindle_Books has instructions.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2013 8:22:05 PM PDT
Old Rocker says:
That's true. I was generalizing, which isn't always a good thing.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2013 8:22:21 PM PDT
R. Wilde says:
Or a buck or two for better formatting than what's in the free versions.

Posted on Sep 18, 2013 8:23:08 PM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Of course Gutenberg Australia has some books that are not in the public domain here in the US. Download at your own risk...hehe.

Posted on Sep 18, 2013 8:44:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 18, 2013 8:45:25 PM PDT
You might want to go to mobileread.com (they have almost all the same free books, but usually better formatted and proofed), and download their Kindle download guide. It has links for all their books, and you can download them wirelessly.
ETA: its under E-books; just click on E-books, Kindle Download Guide.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2013 8:46:44 PM PDT
Yes, although they only offer txt format, not mobi, which is a bit of a bummer. Still, it works the other way too - we Aussies can sometimes find PD books on the US Gutenberg that are still in copyright here ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2013 8:49:51 PM PDT
Are you going to Gutenberg on your Kindle itself? I've done that with my 1st gen PaperWhite with no issues.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2013 12:52:42 AM PDT
Thank you for the information.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2013 2:18:21 AM PDT
Mission accomplished! Many thanks to all those who have responded with ideas,suggestions,advise,know how and new interesting links.well done! Here in HK we are celebrating Mid-Autumn "Moon Festival" may all of you have a wonderful and pleasant weekend.
Regards
John

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2013 4:26:29 AM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
But this is a simple conversion with Calibre.....

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2013 4:36:01 PM PDT
Absolutely. Still makes it not the direct wifi download that the OP was wanting.

But for anyone who has an interest in Australian history, there's a whole stack of journals from early Australian explorers that are well worth a look.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  Sep 18, 2013
Latest post:  Sep 19, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions