Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

To Kill a Mockingbird not on Kindle?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 198 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 13, 2011 6:10:56 PM PDT
Is To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee not on Kindle?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2011 6:14:04 PM PDT
R. Acoya says:
Yes. TKAM is not available in Kindle format.

Posted on Aug 13, 2011 6:14:52 PM PDT
The Artist says:
Harper Lee will not allow it to be offered as an e-book.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2011 6:28:33 PM PDT
Thank you for your reply. Bummer...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2011 6:54:41 PM PDT
Lisa, not just Kindle. There are no legitimate copies of TKAM in any digital form.

Posted on Aug 13, 2011 9:28:58 PM PDT
Carbonbased says:
Same goes for Catcher in the Rye, Harry Potter, most of Michener (only The Source, Caravans and Chesapeake so far,) Mary Stewart (sometimes the Merlin stuff but no mysteries yet,) Dorothy Sayers (other than Whose Body and Clouds of Witness.)

Posted on Aug 13, 2011 9:37:00 PM PDT
A. Sisk says:
It saddens me as well. We just have to keep hoping!

(FYI...The Harry Potters should be available sometime in October.)

Posted on Aug 13, 2011 9:37:30 PM PDT
Saltraker says:
If you've never read TKAM, break down and buy it or get it from your library. Unfortunately, it is not available for Kindle, but I wouldn't hold off reading it because of that. It is a gem. And then rent the movie.

Posted on Aug 13, 2011 10:50:28 PM PDT
MamaSylvia says:
One of the best movie adaptations ever! I read an interview with the girl who played Scout, who said she kept in touch with Gregory Peck, and to the end of his life he called her Scout - which was okay with her because she called him Atticus.

Posted on Aug 14, 2011 9:22:47 AM PDT
Laura says:
My favorite book ever. That one I own in hard cover!

Posted on Aug 14, 2011 9:34:31 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 16, 2011 3:13:32 AM PDT]

Posted on Aug 14, 2011 10:35:55 AM PDT
Lee's lack of drive and not being open to new ideas has served her well as an author all these years so why change now? TKAM is a great book and adapted well to the big screen but with all these good to great authors out here, no one can follow a one-hit-wonder. Too bad authors cannot see that those who use ereaders to read are....well....readers who love to read. I don't understand how any author would see that as a negative.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2011 10:38:17 AM PDT
fear, fear of change, loss of control, i think thats a big part of it

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2011 10:40:03 AM PDT
Well if the fear is that great, why step into the literary waters to begin with? Quite sad really.

Posted on Aug 14, 2011 11:13:10 AM PDT
A. Sisk says:
Because she had a story to tell. How is that wrong? and what is there to "follow" an one novel author about?

As far as I know, I can still pick up my first edtion TKAM and read it at any time. The words didn't magically disappear because I bought an e-reader.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2011 11:20:15 AM PDT
Thanks for your input A. An author lives on with the new readers they acquire. I believe that the ereader has not only lit a fire under people who used to be readers but also inspired new readers who have felt that picking up a book was only a chore or assignment to be completed. Many people have mentioned in these discussion forums that an ereader is all they use to read anything anymore. One day people will say "Hitchcock who?" or "Harper Lee who?" BTW your first edition would read the same as one on my kindle, no difference. Also my kindle edition would take up less space :>)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2011 11:31:08 AM PDT
I wish I had a first edition of TKAM but I don't and it has been quite a while since I read it so I would like to be able to buy it instantly on my Kindle and read it on this rainy afternoon without leaving my dry house to do so. I bought my Mom a Kindle and she lives far from a place to even buy it so she would also like to read it without using gasoline, etc. to obtain it.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2011 11:43:47 AM PDT
She was also jumped on almost from the moment of publication by people who refused to believe she wrote her own book because of her lifelong friendship with Truman Capote. Kind of can't blame her for not having the heart to try again. And maybe she only had one story she wanted to tell.

I respect the heck out of Harper Lee, I wish I could read TKAM on Kindle, by I am willing to wait if those are Harper Lee's wishes.

Posted on Aug 14, 2011 12:06:56 PM PDT
aufan1958 says:
I saw a very short article a week or so ago that was based on a conversation between sh and her friend and minister which said that he asked her why she never wrote another book - she sinply replied that she could not go through all the hoopla that she endured after TKAM was published. She also stated that in TKAM she had said all she had to say and wouldn't say any more.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2011 1:00:16 PM PDT
It is truly regrettable that one so adept at plot, character introduction and develpment and weaving a world felt that she was left with nothing to say. I don't know how a writer can live an additional 40+ years and not find something else worthy of weaving another tapestry.

Posted on Aug 14, 2011 1:12:45 PM PDT
Here's a site with 10 authors who only wrote one book:

http://www.onlinedegreeprograms.com/blog/2010/10-acclaimed-authors/

Posted on Aug 14, 2011 2:42:05 PM PDT
Bufo Calvin says:
It's not clear to me that Harper Lee is opposed to e-books...just that she hasn't agreed to TKAM being in e-book form. From what I've read, my intuition is that she essentially regrets having published it in the first place, that it was too personal. My guess has been that no one has approached her about it, partly for that reason.

I don't know if that is actually the scenario, but I could see that happening and I respect it, if that's the case.

It may be part of what makes it a remarkable book. I don't think artists are obligated to create more art. For me, that's not what art is.

An obvious refutation might be to ask why she doesn't stop print editions. I think those rights may have been sold for some time, and she may be allowing a family member (or other representative) to deal with those. Approaching her for a new negotiation might be a sensitive matter, though...

Just my thoughts on it...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2011 2:50:37 PM PDT
While she has never come out against ebooks, it has been hinted at, books were sacred to her, and I think she doesn't want TKAM to be available in ebook. While I might not agree with her reasoning, I respect her wishes.

link for source: http://www.teleread.com/library/can-haper-lee-connect-the-dots-and-see-what-e-books-would-have-meant-to-her/

She...writes about the scarcity of books in the 1930s in Monroeville, where she grew up and where she lives part of each year. That deficit, combined with a lack of anything else to do - no movies for kids, no parks for games - made books especially treasured, she writes.

"Now, 75 years later in an abundant society where people have laptops, cell phones, iPods, and minds like empty rooms, I still plod along with books," she writes.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2011 2:52:35 PM PDT
aufan1958 says:
You are correct. Her affairs are handled by her 90 year old sister who still practices law in Monroeville.

Posted on Aug 14, 2011 2:58:28 PM PDT
Her book is probably one of the most pirated on the net. There are many, myself included, who would gladly pay $15 for a well formatted copy of TKAM. As it is, I found a free one online months ago. I wouldn't pay for one that way though. I've bought probably 4 copies of the book over the years, so she got my money. I would give her more though, if she released it to e-book. It is her decision however.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  68
Total posts:  198
Initial post:  Aug 13, 2011
Latest post:  Jun 27, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions