Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Sweepstakes in Prime Music Outdoor Deals on Tikes
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

can you afford a kindle?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 12, 2013 2:23:45 PM PDT
Amazon Man says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Oct 12, 2013 2:43:30 PM PDT
CBRetriever says:
once I make the initial investment in a kindle, I no longer need to waste money on gasoline and car maintenance and add pollution to the air by driving 20-30 minutes to the "local" library and I can buy plenty of free books

and why buy a disposable (yours will bite the dust someday) cell phone - why not use a land line instead with a rotary dial telephone (I have one that's almost 30 years old that still works

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2013 2:59:30 PM PDT
Artist says:
What does my owning a Kindle have to do with the number of unemployed? If I didn't have a Kindle, would one of them magically have a job?

Check with your local library. None of us would know if YOUR local library lends out Kindles.

Thanks for sharing. I check out library books on my Kindle.

Check the product pages for the costs of the Kindles. We're not your shopping service.

Young people like to use Twitter. Nothing is for everyone. Just because you don't want to use it doesn't mean it has no purpose or value.

If you don't want a Kindle, don't buy one.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2013 3:05:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 12, 2013 3:05:56 PM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Just put this person on ignore. They come here and post several new threads at a time just to spam. If we stop responding to them they will go down the list.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2013 3:10:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 12, 2013 3:10:50 PM PDT
MommaCat says:
Do you have an MP3 player?

Can't you use a record player?

Why upgrade and give people jobs that use new technology?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2013 3:20:45 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 5, 2013 7:00:22 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2013 3:47:54 PM PDT
Craig says:

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2013 3:58:34 PM PDT
The most affordable Kindle is 'The Kindle'...also called 'The Basic'. It costs $69.00. It is just an e-reader, and does not view movies, or play video games. Once you have it, you can download THOUSANDS of FREE e-books directly from Amazon. Use the Search, above, to go to the Kindle Store, and type in the name of an author, or a subject, or a book title, and add "kindle free" to it. then "go". "Jules Verne Kindle Free" would be an example. Or try ""science fiction kindle free". You will get listings of many free books, which you can 'purchase' for '$0.00'.

The E-Ink Kindles are sort of like smart phones in that they let you access the Kindle Store, and some other sites, online, but they don't do so really well. You don't need to do so, or to use libraries. There are very few other similarities between smart phones,and E-Ink Kindles. The Kindle Fires are more like smart phones, and do play video games, and movies, and surf more of the internet...and cost more....between about $140.00 and $500.00. I have several Kindles. I read on one while the other is charging. I can also loan one to a friend when I feel like it, and we can both read the same book at the same time, even though I only bought one copy, since I downloaded it to two Kindles on the same Amazon account.

Reading free e-books on a Kindle (Basic) costs a LOT LESS than does: going to movies, paying for Cable TV, buying video games, it is ideal for un-employed, and under-employed, folks in hard economic times.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2013 4:01:53 PM PDT
Artist says:
I realized that after I responded, and saw all of his/her other carp.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2013 10:49:46 PM PDT
U.R.Nuts says:

Odd, I read the entire thread and I did not see any fish.

Just my 2¢ worth on the matter

Posted on Oct 13, 2013 1:20:50 AM PDT
Zachariah says:
I bought my kindle fire 1 right before walmart fired me (I was cart pusher at the time and a cart hit a car, immediate termination. Does that mean the kindle got me fired? No the other electronic device I used (the electric cart collector) malfunctioned and I got the boot. Should I have returned my fire and used the. $200 on gas for a car I don't have or something? :P

Posted on Oct 13, 2013 3:48:30 AM PDT
I bought my Kindle *because* I wanted to save money, and because my small local library has a limited selection, and even more limited hours. To feed my book habit (as I'd had to stop buying books), it was much cheaper and more convenient (which are often mutually exclusive), to get a Kindle and enjoy the thousands of free classics available, as well as other freebies and inexpensive books.

Also, with memberships (often free or very low cost) to libraries outside my geographical area, I'm able to borrow books on my Kindle, as well.

The OP is silly, but for anyone happening along, for a bookaholic, the Kindle is a sound economical investment.

Posted on Oct 14, 2013 6:17:42 AM PDT
Besides the many free books, not having to use car to get to store or library, I have also saved by not having to buy (at least) 3 more bookcases, and a bigger house to put them in.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2013 7:36:29 AM PDT
This is true, as well. Added to the cost-efficiency is the fact that Kindlers don't have to hold, tote, store, dust, or move paper books, anymore. That's worth as much if not more than the cost-effectiveness to a lot of us.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2013 7:39:49 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
Mr CBR said it's worth it because he doesn't have to move 400 (probably 500 by then) books when we move next time

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2013 12:19:03 PM PDT
hey J, You don't have to buy a kindle, just download the free kindle apps to your computer.

You might like some of these free cowboy books.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
What's New in IOS Version 4.12?
56 3 days ago
Introducing Fire-Setting an Entirely New Standard for a Tablet under $50
0 Sep 18, 2015
Introducing the All-New Fire HD: Powerful Tablets Designed for Entertainment
0 Sep 18, 2015
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
83 and we're RAoKing PRIME 6627 19 minutes ago
FREE Books and Chat (FB&C) November 2015 1089 27 minutes ago
Elephants Three at The Ģrandest Hotel - Part IV 3980 1 hour ago
Suggestions for Replacement Kindle With BUILT-IN LIGHTED SCREEN? 30 1 hour ago
can you read books offline on the kindle 63 1 hour ago
Does anyone know how to uninstall Apus Launcer from Kindle? 1 1 hour ago
cant connect to xfinity wifi 56 1 hour ago
wechat on kindle fire? 28 2 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Oct 12, 2013
Latest post:  Oct 14, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions