Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Child's kindle and divorced parents

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 66 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 30, 2013 11:13:00 AM PDT
Jill Eller says:
My ex and I are considering purchasing a Kindle for our 11-year-old son. It will mostly likely end up at my ex's house, since I have an iPad he can use at mine. The Kindle will be registered under my account, since I am a Prime member. My question is if/how my account can remain secure from unauthorized purchases on the part of my ex/son. I will set up parental controls, but my ex will need to share that password. Will he be able to make unauthorized Kindle purchases on my account?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2013 11:14:30 AM PDT
Yep.

Posted on Aug 30, 2013 11:43:56 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 30, 2013 11:44:35 AM PDT
Jason says:
If they have the password to your account, they can do just about anything.

My suggestion would be to create a new account for the Kindle to be registered to; one without a credit card associated with it. Gift cards can then be used, or you can purchase Kindle books as gifts by clicking the "Give as a Gift" button.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2013 11:45:39 AM PDT
I could be wrong but I think there has to be debit or credit card on file even to "buy" free apps.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2013 11:46:03 AM PDT
Jill Eller says:
Jason, I had thought about that, but I would lose the lending privileges afforded to Prime members and be unable to transfer books I have already bought for my son to that account.

Posted on Aug 30, 2013 11:46:55 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 30, 2013 11:54:51 AM PDT
Jill Eller says:
Perhaps I could make a low-balance prepaid visa my one-click default? That way, at least accidental unauthorized purchases would be minimal. Would my ex also have access to my entire Kindle library? I'd like to maintain some privacy...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2013 11:47:29 AM PDT
Set up the Kindle FreeTime, and turn it on when the Fire leaves your house.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2013 11:49:36 AM PDT
Jill Eller says:
My ex and I would need to share the FreeTime password. I do not plan to share my Amazon password. Would simply having grownup access to the Fire open him to my library/account?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2013 11:50:25 AM PDT
Have you considered an iPod touch or iPad mini instead? There are great bargains on refurbs from the Apple online store.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2013 11:51:18 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 30, 2013 11:52:12 AM PDT
Yes. That's what I'm saying. And No. Ex-h doesn't need the password to the FreeTime.

Let me rephrase that. There should be no need for Dad to change FreeTime at all. Set it up. Leave it alone. Why would he NEED the password?

Posted on Aug 30, 2013 11:51:39 AM PDT
Jill Eller says:
Perhaps I should, but I'd like to take advantage of the FreeTime controls and the current sale on Fires.

Posted on Aug 30, 2013 11:58:39 AM PDT
Jill Eller says:
It would be completely reasonable for him to allow or limit extra screen time as behavior dictates. He may choose to allow access to a web site excluded by parental controls. Our son spends both weekends and weekdays with both of us.

I can see your point, though, FME. The screen time limits may just have to be set in stone if we want the Kindle to access the books and loan privileges that are authorized to me. It's certainly a reasonable solution. My hope would be for my ex to have as much governing power as me over the Kindle and its use, but that may be expecting too much.

Posted on Aug 30, 2013 12:06:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 30, 2013 12:10:00 PM PDT
Jason says:
"I would lose the lending privileges afforded to Prime members"
Lending is something the publisher determines for each book and is not tied to Prime membership. Borrowing one book per month from "the Kindle Owner's Lending Library" is a Prime membership benefit and would not change on your main account.

"...be unable to transfer books I have already bought for my son to that account."
That is something you will have to consider. Having no idea how many books are involved, and having no insight into your financial situation, I cannot really speak to that. I do understand how this could be a real issue.

"Perhaps I could make a low-balance prepaid visa my one-click default? That way, at least accidental unauthorized purchases would be minimal."
Unauthorized purchases can be returned within 7 days, but if it happens too often, it may become a real issue. You could cross that bridge when you come to it, but the bridge-toll could be very expensive!

"Would my ex also have access to my entire Kindle library? I'd like to maintain som privacy..."
Yes, he would. I share an account with my teenage daughters. They have access to everything in my library. Everything.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2013 12:09:31 PM PDT
Artist says:
Do you want him to be able to download books for your son, or just manage free time? Because the free time password is separate from your Amazon password. If you want him to be able to add content, he won't need your Amazon info since the Kindle will already be registered to your account, but there's no way to stop him/them from downloading content using your credit card, and no way to stop them from seeing your kindle library since all he's have to do is disable free time.

There's no way to have him registered to your account and have privacy at the same time, unless you don't give them the free time password.

Posted on Aug 30, 2013 12:14:28 PM PDT
Jill Eller says:
I'd like for him to be able to manage free time, but not make purchases or access my library. It's sounding like this is just a pipe dream; such a shame.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2013 12:17:10 PM PDT
Well, how important is Prime in this equation? I know, I know, but I'm going to say it anyway. Personally, I don't think it's a tragedy that every kid doesn't have streaming video 24/7. His dad has cable or dish or network TV?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2013 12:19:12 PM PDT
Jill Eller says:
That's a valid question. Prime is important for the lending library only. Streaming is definitely not a priority.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2013 12:21:02 PM PDT
Well, the Prime lending book is only *one* per month, and ONLY a fairly narrow breadth of choices, at that. One per month for the whole account.

Why don't YOU take the free borrow every month, and don't worry about Prime access for the boy?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2013 12:21:50 PM PDT
Okay, how many of the e-books that he'd read are available from the KOLL?

Posted on Aug 30, 2013 12:34:36 PM PDT
Jill Eller says:
One per month is still one less book we have to purchase!

Those are good points about the lending library; we may have to forego Prime and the books I've already purchased. However, I'd prefer to keep everyone in one account. I have a younger daughter, so having all our e-material in one account would make things easier. Like back in the old days... when we handed down our worn out old copies of Indian in the Cupboard to our younger siblings. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2013 12:37:34 PM PDT
Does your local public library lend e-books?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2013 12:39:33 PM PDT
When I got my then-8-yr-old son his Basic Kindle, I started him his own account (I control it; he doesn't even know about it). I also did the same for my then-17-yr-old daughter, but she knew about it. I have since handed that account over to her, and all the books I bought for those 2 years are now hers.

When my son reaches 17 or 18, I'll give him his account, with all his childhood (well, the e-books I've bought) books to do with as he pleases.

*I* don't need copies of Ice Beast or Diary of a Wimpy Kid. Those are his.

Just a suggestion.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2013 12:40:46 PM PDT
Jill Eller says:
I had not even thought of that, and I work for a library. Duh. Thanks for the nudge!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2013 12:41:54 PM PDT
lol

There are also lots of sources for free classics in several formats.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2013 12:41:55 PM PDT
Jill Eller says:
Another great idea! We do like to read books together--he'll finish The Mysterious Benedict Society and insist I read it--but I could always just switch over to his account for that.... Definitely worth thinking about!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Elephants Three at The Ģrandest Hotel - Part IV 4740 2 minutes ago
Deal of the Day 8 4 minutes ago
We're Quirky And We Know It! Come Witness The Howling Dink, Hussy Turkey Hens, And A Veritable Plethora Of Other Beasts! So Geese! 1773 7 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #5: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food 8733 7 minutes ago
It's After Midnight and I Just Opened a Bottle of Wine 5625 8 minutes ago
85° and Sunny - A Perfect Day to RAOK! 9828 15 minutes ago
Kindle FireHDX Frozen 58 18 minutes ago
"Summarize" for students 10 21 minutes ago
Block some books on family library? 0 26 minutes ago
How to put PDF file on my kindle 2 31 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  66
Initial post:  Aug 30, 2013
Latest post:  Aug 30, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions