Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Author changes Title of book - will I be stopped from purchasing 2nd book?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 7, 2014 10:05:48 PM PST
I recently read a book and thought to myself I know I have read this book before on my kindle. I looked and the book was there purchased about two years ago, however the old book and the new book's title has changed, the content is exactly the same. I had always thought amazon would automatically stop me from purchasing the same book , which they have. Is there anyway to catch in the scenario where the author changes the title from stopping users to purchase new book that has only title change? It kinda feels like a scam.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2014 10:11:22 PM PST
No way to catch that, but you can return the book for a full refund within 7 days of purchase using the Actions menu next to the book title on the Manage Your Kindle page on the website.

Posted on Jan 7, 2014 10:20:15 PM PST
Thank you John! I didnt know I could do that.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2014 10:22:25 PM PST
You're welcome. :>)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2014 10:59:49 PM PST
Miss Carol says:
Amazon will stop you if the book carries the same number - if that's changed - there's no way the computer will be able to see it. If it's slightly over the 7 days John mentioned - you might want to contact customer service. They have been known to occasionally make exceptions with the buy back policy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2014 11:08:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 7, 2014 11:12:24 PM PST
CBRetriever says:
you'll also find the book offered from different publishers under different names

I bought this one: Gun Games: A Decker/Lazarus Novel (Peter Decker and Rina Lazarus Series Book 20)

and this one Blood Games (Peter Decker and Rina Lazarus Crime Thrillers) (Peter Decker and Rina Lazarus Series) had the following words in its description: "published in the USA as GUN GAMES". There was absoluutely nothing on the one I bought to indicate that it was the same book as the second one

These two are also the same book
The Warded Man: Book One of The Demon Cycle (The Demon Cycle Series 1)
The Painted Man
and there's no mention on either one that the titles were changed and back in the days of paper books I bought both of them three months apart and it took a while to realise they were the same book

ETA: in those cases, it wasn't the author it was the publisher as in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone which is the same book as harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2014 11:16:42 PM PST
Jay says:
Old time copyright laws which vary from nation to nation require the same book to be published under different titles, with some minor changes-a main character's middle name, or such-and it has been that way for centuries. In the 1950s, and 1960s, I got burned by this by purchasing several different editions of the same Agatha Christie paperbacks, with title changes. It annoyed me enough that I stopped buying books published abroad. Now days, most foreign countries have changed their copyright laws, to end this stupidity...but some countries are still under the old laws. The old laws were designed to avoid plagiarism, and to encourage foreign trade, by outlawing the publishing in Country B of something with has been published in Country A. It also caused authors to cut deals with foreign publishing houses which required the author / his US publisher to pay money to register the new copyright in the title / character modified editions abroad. That generated money for the foreign governments, too. It is a trend which has been dying out, in the last couple of decades, but is not entirely extinct yet. Return the offending book, for a refund, and be careful what you buy from whom in future.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2014 11:44:55 PM PST
CBRetriever says:
excellent blog on the name change of the two harry potter books:

http://www.mugglenet.com/editorials/philosophervssorcerer.shtml

often if a word means something different in US vs UK English, a title will be changed as a title like "The Body in the Boot" wouldn't make much sense to US readers, but "The Body in the Trunk" would (caveat: I made up those titles)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Downloading books abroad via WiFi 4 7 minutes ago
Kindle Book Start Date 2 11 minutes ago
Fire hdx 7 inch 4 th gen 1 13 minutes ago
Cancel an ebook order 38 14 minutes ago
Does Kindle Paperwhite have the infamous 'blue light' that disrupts sleep? 192 15 minutes ago
question about new Fire and micro SD card 59 25 minutes ago
85° and Sunny - A Perfect Day to RAOK! 9471 46 minutes ago
We're Quirky And We Know It! Come Witness The Howling Dink, Hussy Turkey Hens, And A Veritable Plethora Of Other Beasts! So Geese! 1611 59 minutes ago
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks III 9527 1 hour ago
Kindle Touch won't connect to Kindle store 6 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  Jan 7, 2014
Latest post:  Jan 7, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions