Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Amazon Instant Video App (iPhone)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 94 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 27, 2014 2:52:28 PM PDT
Pen Name says:
Is there a way to stream Amazon Prime Instant Videos without wifi? I bought an Amazon Prime membership specifically for the videos, but I can't use my cellular data to stream the videos. I don't have wifi at my house because we use our unlimited data on our phones and our hotspot for everything. The only time I can use the app is when connected to my wifi at work, and I don't really have time at work to be watching videos...any help?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2014 3:01:59 PM PDT
B. Marks says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2014 4:09:12 PM PDT
Artist says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2014 4:23:46 PM PDT
Bixillarla says:
Nope. The free Prime vidoes are streaming only. You need to have WiFi for it. The new Kindle Fires can download a small selection of the free Prime videos to view offline.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2014 6:38:23 PM PDT
Sarida says:
I can't figure out a work-around.

Since Amazon is iFriendly, I stream from my phone to my AppleTV, but again, I have to have wifi to make it work.

If you use your phone for a hotspot, have you tried to hook up a PC to stream instead of streaming directly with your phone?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2014 7:22:20 PM PDT
Pen Name says:
I have unlimited cellular data, but that doesn't include the hotspot. So, while that would definitely work...it would create a data usage problem.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2014 7:50:01 PM PDT
Artist says:

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2014 4:48:48 AM PDT
Sarida says:
I misunderstood. I thought you said you were using your phone as a hotspot.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2014 4:51:20 AM PDT
Sarida says:
With Prime, I can stream on both my iPhone and iPad when on wifi, but I can stream on neither when on 4G.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2014 1:37:10 PM PDT
Artist says:
Yes, I was wrong. I was thinking about the only tablets that can stream Prime. Thanks for posting so that the OP got the correct info.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2014 5:10:32 AM PDT
Sarida says:
Rats. I thought I was special! <grin>

Posted on Jun 19, 2014 8:26:08 AM PDT
Robert Sa says:
Why is this- Doesn't Amazon know that tey are in direct competition with Netflix? they need to catch up

Posted on Jun 26, 2014 4:30:21 PM PDT
QuesoLoco says:
Agreed. I'm grand fathered into an unlimited AT&T data plan. I know I'm less than 1% of their customer base, but I'd rather hit a button saying "are you sure you want to use your cellular plan to stream this video?" And ten hit yes to "are you really sure? Your cellular carrier could charge you large fees to stream this video." At least give me the choice.

I'm sitting in an airport delayed, wondering why it's not even a possibility. Oh well, gonna fire up the netflix app. They love their customers more.

Posted on Jul 8, 2014 1:48:18 PM PDT
Paranoid56 says:
Yep another unhappy customer that can't stream over lte. Wtf

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2014 3:05:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 8, 2014 3:06:28 PM PDT
Pen Name says:
I feel the same way. It's my choice how to spend my data and money. If I want to use my cellular data and was sufficiently warned, I should be able to. This is why I use Netflix. I feel like the prime membership was a waste of my money.

Posted on Jul 15, 2014 11:55:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 7, 2014 9:59:41 AM PDT
Mikri says:
I agree. Want to stream on cellular data, that is why we pay for cellular data and a prime membership. Doesn't make any sense as to why they would restrict us unless they want to push us toward the new Amazon Fire Phone. What a shame...bossy business for services paid for.

Posted on Jul 19, 2014 4:41:22 PM PDT
K. Johnson says:
Agreed. Especially with the cost of Prime going up to $100. If they don't allow streaming using 4G or LTE I'm for sure going to cancel and just stick to Netflix.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2014 7:18:00 AM PDT
S Agarwal says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2014 8:39:10 AM PDT
Pen Name says:
Hook it up to what?

Posted on Sep 24, 2014 9:22:35 PM PDT
If you have two devices, you can use your phone to broadcast wifi and tether your second device to your phone. Hardly ideal, but it should work. The secondary device should have no way of "knowing" that its wifi is actually coming through another device's cellular connection.

Posted on Sep 26, 2014 12:10:55 PM PDT
jdlyndon says:
I found a workaround. But it's not ideal. It works for my situation as I have no internet into house right now.
You will need a router of some kind or anything that creates a wifi network, possibly a MacBook, as these can create their own wifi networks.
I'm using an old virgin hub not connected to internet.

1. Create the wifi network
2. Connect your ios device
3. Press the "i" buttoned next to the name of the network
4. Select STATIC
5. For IP address enter "192.168.0.2" for multiple devices the last number must be one more each time .3 .4 .5 etc
6. Subnet mask is 255.255.255.0

That's it you're done. You are now connected to a wifi signal but data is coming in through your cellular network, this tricks the system into thinking that you're getting wifi internet.

Hope this helps.

Posted on Oct 6, 2014 8:31:28 AM PDT
It's Oct 2014 and Amazon still haven't enabled Amazon Instant Prime Video to work over cellular data, only wifi. Why will they not offer this service? I commute regularly on the train and would love to watch something for my journey but I can't. It's this lack of feature and their inability to offer subtitles / closed captions that really lets them down vs Netflix. Sort it out Amazon

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2014 8:44:22 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 6, 2014 8:44:47 AM PDT
John Barnes is God,

If you want Amazon to see what you want to say, write to them at:
kindle-fire-feedback@amazon.com

or, if not about video on a Kindle Fire, use the Contact Us link:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/contact-us

Posted on Oct 6, 2014 9:18:10 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jan 13, 2015 9:01:29 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2014 10:24:48 AM PDT
King Al says:
To paraphase Dr. McCoy from Star Trek V (ugh!): "What does God need with a train or Amazon Instant Prime video?"
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  58
Total posts:  94
Initial post:  Mar 27, 2014
Latest post:  2 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 17 customers

Search Customer Discussions