Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon David Bowie egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Martha Stewart American Made Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoor Deals on Tikes
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

SD vs HD movies/tv on Kindle Fire HD

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 4, 2013 10:42:35 AM PST
bdp83 says:
With TV seasons being nearly twice the price for HD instead of SD can you tell a noticeable difference to justify the price? This would be for use on the kindle itself and not on an HD tv

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2013 10:53:46 AM PST
bdp83 - I have a few TV seasons. I've always bought them in SD and they look fine. What is odd, is that half of them are now the HD version even though I only paid the SD price.

I have watched the SD versions on my TV and they look fine there, too.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2013 10:54:40 AM PST
Dragi Raos says:
Well, for my aging eyes DVD resolution (SD) is good enough. But only you can really tell - try with single episodes.

Posted on Dec 10, 2013 5:54:24 PM PST
Lisa Mikula says:
When I buy a SD movie on my kindle fire HD it has a little tag on my carousel that says it is a HD movie. I dont get why this happens.

Posted on Jul 4, 2014 3:20:48 AM PDT
Robert says:
Just to be clear, can I order SD at the lower price and still watch on FIRE? I do not want to be stuck paying the higer price.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2014 3:50:11 AM PDT
Yes, as I said above, I always buy the SD versions to watch on my Fires. To me, they look great.

Posted on Jul 4, 2014 4:01:44 AM PDT
Robert says:
Super. Thanks

Posted on Jul 4, 2014 4:55:10 AM PDT
K. Rowley says:
You also get the added benefit of the SD version being smaller in file size, which means they are quicker to download and take up less space (allowing you to have more on your Kindle).

Even if you pay the extra money for the HD version, you can choose to download a lower quality version of it.

Posted on Jul 4, 2014 5:04:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 4, 2014 5:06:52 AM PDT
Josue says:
I've wondered what the difference is myself as I always buy the SD versions for the cheaper price but the tab always says that they are the HD versions. I'm not complaining either but the SD version look great on my Kindle Fire HD and on through the fireTV as well.

The shows and movies I've watched have been Hugo, Downton Abbey, How To Train Your Dragon, Band of Brothers and The Pacific. All have looked great!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2014 6:49:08 AM PDT
Robert says:
Thanks. Also, looking at the demo video, I still am not sure if you can watch Netflix on FIRE. Do you know?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2014 6:58:42 AM PDT
K. Rowley says:
Sure you can, you just need to download the app and register it to your Netflix account. Link to that app below.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2014 7:03:20 AM PDT
Robert says:
Great. Thanks

Posted on Oct 16, 2014 2:21:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 16, 2014 2:22:15 PM PDT
George Smith says:
why are seasons purchased in HD *cheaper* than standard now on my older (non HD) Fire?

Posted on Feb 23, 2015 12:28:10 PM PST
We purchased SD so that we could narrow the screen for a family member with a neurological condition to be able to view, but it will not let us narrow it for The Walking Dead. Any ideas what to do as it works with many other videos we download from Amazon?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2015 12:46:34 PM PST
Charlie says:
Are you sure that you downloaded the SD version? Several posters have commented that even when they only paid for SD, that the downloads for HD were available.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2015 4:04:42 AM PST
I did check with our credit card company as well, and the SD purchase price was the one we selected versus the 33% more expensive HD. It only happens with the Walking Dead videos but it makes it impossible for everyone to watch it so nobody does. Very discouraging for us all. Thank you for your taking the time to respond.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2015 4:44:00 AM PST
Cheryl Jones says:
Maybe you should check with walking dead. if other videos work like they are suppose to it doesn't seem to be a kindle problem or an amazon probem but a walking dead problem.

Posted on Mar 9, 2015 6:29:51 AM PDT
I prefer SD movies.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2015 11:40:03 PM PDT
Sams Mom says:
I know it's nearly a year since your post, but I have to add a comment since you mentioned Downton Abbey. I just ordered the final episode of Downton Abbey season 5 to watch on my HP ENVY DV6 laptop. I ordered the SD version, to avoid paying the high price, and to test out the Amazon video streaming service. The video looked like someone had intentionally blurred out the HD video. There were a few scenes which were completely clear, but most of the video intentionally blurred scenery in a predictable pattern, and predictably blurred the eyes, nose, mouth of many of the actors in any scene.

I'm not impressed and I don't trust the streaming now. I must admit I haven't tried it on the ipad, but I'll bet it's the same on any device that isn't a Kindle. The videos are probably optimized for kindle only.

Have you tried streaming any SD video lately?

Posted on Jun 16, 2015 5:37:00 AM PDT
Cheryl Jones says:
so could be a problem with downton abbey or a problem with your laptop. i am a prime member and season 5 will be free for us very soon so i couldn't check downton abbey.
so do play on ipad and if it plays fine then you know it is your laptop. if it doesn't then amazon has a lot of free pilot episodes that you can get. here is one and see how that plays on both devices.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2015 5:59:19 AM PDT
Cheryl Jones says:
here is the amazon help page for video. i am on chrome and according to web page i am watching through adobe. when i started the movie it popped up to use a web browser that supports silverlight. so i watched in internet explorer and it did look better. maybe that was your problem. you wil see list of web browsers in article.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
What's New in IOS Version 4.12?
56 12 hours ago
Introducing Fire-Setting an Entirely New Standard for a Tablet under $50
0 Sep 18, 2015
Introducing the All-New Fire HD: Powerful Tablets Designed for Entertainment
0 Sep 18, 2015
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Kindle / Audible Recommendations and Deals (KARD) 2745 9 minutes ago
La Bible (Louis Segond) | Bible Électronique (French Edition) Kindle 0 10 minutes ago
FREE Books and Chat (FB&C) November 2015 957 11 minutes ago
Kindle Fire and Bose SoundLink 9 23 minutes ago
Canada OK for USA bought kindle fire? 0 29 minutes ago
Canadians: gift card for eBooks? 33 32 minutes ago
SwagBucks Thread 8544 37 minutes ago
Banned Books 49 49 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  Feb 4, 2013
Latest post:  Jun 16, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions