Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

New free kindle books resource

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 296 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 24, 2012 1:07:24 PM PDT
Herbie says:
After the fantastic reception of our UK based free books site, we have just launched a US version. Similar to other sites like ereaderiq, we have a daily emailer, but with your own choice of genres.

If you're interested in taking a look, please drop by at
http://www.dailyfreebooks.com

Posted on May 24, 2012 1:22:43 PM PDT
Miss M says:
This is very exciting - thanks! Although I'm a big ereaderiq fan, primarily for the price drops, I prefer your site's formatting of the free book lists over both ereaderiq & kinlib. Up until now I've been using your UK site, then searching for the books on amazon.com - this will make things much easier. Good luck to you.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 1:36:21 PM PDT
jaimilyn says:
I usually use ereaderiq, but this is a good alternative.

It would be nice though if you could also include the file size for the books. I know a number of us don't like novellas, and this is a good indicator of whether it's worth my time to click on a link.

Posted on May 24, 2012 1:51:30 PM PDT
Herbie says:
Thanks for the feedback. I'll look into the file size option.

Posted on May 24, 2012 3:21:00 PM PDT
Herbie says:
I also forgot to mention that each daily mail includes the deal of the day, which is something that many people requested. Hope to see you there.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 3:33:56 PM PDT
Herbie - I don't usually bother with these types of site but decided to give yours a try and I'm glad I did. I'll definitely check it regularly.

What I liked:
Genre selection
Book Covers
Book Descriptions
Ratings
Free date

Also nice, for those who want it, is the "All Genres excluding Erotica" option.

Good job.

Posted on May 24, 2012 11:54:22 PM PDT
Herbie says:
Wow, thanks ever so much. I hope you find some great reads :)

Posted on May 25, 2012 2:33:04 AM PDT
Herbie says:
Just wanted to let you know that due to an oversight on our part, the daily deal was showing £ instead of $ DOH! This has been corrected and will not happen again.

Posted on May 25, 2012 3:05:02 AM PDT
I like this site. Thanks for the information.

Posted on May 25, 2012 4:43:22 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 25, 2012 4:46:04 AM PDT
Thanks. You've put together a very attractive, well-designed website. I discovered a couple of new books and authors right away and I've bookmarked your site.

I too am a fan of ereaderiq and your service presents a nice alternative. I also took a quick look at your forum but, at first glance, wasn't as impressed with its design. I participate in a number of online communities, most of which are powered by vBulletin. Perhaps I just need to become accustomed to your design and will give it another try.

I also like the fact that, even though your new site is linked to Amazon US, you are actually based in the UK and this site is a spin-off of your UK site. I hope that it will help lead me to more British writers whose books are available through Amazon US but who may be lesser known and less popular in the US.

An immediate example would be Andy McNab and Duncan Falconer, whose books are very popular in the UK but are almost unknown to US readers. In both of these examples, only a limited number of their books are even available in through the Amazon US Kindle store.

If they, and other popular British writers, began to develop a following with US readers, perhaps more of their Kindle books would become available through Amazon US.

Posted on May 25, 2012 7:05:25 AM PDT
Chai on Life says:
Really like your site! Wishing you the best.

Posted on May 25, 2012 8:18:09 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 25, 2012 12:45:17 PM PDT
Herbie says:
Once again, thank you for the kind comments.

To James, yes I agree that our UK forum takes a little getting used to - some of the quirkiness comes from ensuring that it reads as well as possible on the Kindle browser as a computer. We do have quite a few authors from the US who are finding it a useful bridge to increase their UK readership, and vice versa, so if you have the time, please feel free to join us as you will be most welcome.

Posted on May 25, 2012 3:39:49 PM PDT
Herbie says:
Thanks to everyone who's signed up so far :)

Posted on May 26, 2012 10:05:21 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 26, 2012 10:05:29 AM PDT
Herbie says:
A few more teething problems today, but hopefully this is the last of them. You may have been missing the star rating (broken image) on the left hand column of the mailer. This has been fixed along with a couple of broken links taking you to the UK version.

Thanks for your patience :D

Posted on May 27, 2012 3:14:46 AM PDT
Herbie says:
Amazon changed the format of their Daily Deal today (it's for more than one book), so the initial capture didn't work, but a second corrected mailer was sent shortly after.

Posted on May 28, 2012 5:33:45 AM PDT
P. M. H. says:
Just want to say that I subscribed to this service and it is the best one that I receive. Really like the way it lists the type of books I prefer. Thanks Herbie!

Posted on May 28, 2012 9:37:57 AM PDT
Herbie says:
Thanks P. M. H., much appreciated.

Everyone, please feel free to spread the word if you like the service :)

Posted on May 29, 2012 9:57:41 AM PDT
Herbie says:
Just a little bump :)

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 11:23:15 AM PDT
Miss M says:
That's exactly how I first found the site, looking for some UK authors. For a while I was reading the Amazon UK kindle forums freebie threads, but never knew which ones to click on/check out. Then I found dailyfreebooks and could see the descriptions so knew which ones to check .com for.
Guess I sound like a commercial, but I really like the new US version of this site.

Posted on May 30, 2012 8:14:08 AM PDT
Herbie says:
Hehe a commercial is fine with me :) It's never an easy job getting people to find your site, but at least those who are seem to be liking it.

Posted on May 30, 2012 8:21:12 AM PDT
~nospin says:
I have seen complaints about explicit emails after registering for email notifications. I check out your site but am not signing up for emails.

FYI, any bump by you could be seen as spam.

Posted on May 30, 2012 11:17:42 AM PDT
Herbie says:
Did you receive an explicit email from us or another service? We try to filter out all erotica as much as we can unless you specifically choose to want it, but it may be that some slipped through.

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2012 10:17:08 AM PDT
HappyCamper says:
Herbie, Any chance of offering more than 2 genre choices when subscribing to emails?

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2012 10:22:43 AM PDT
HappyCamper says:
@nospin - I did just post an update on the fbac thread but also wanted to post here. When I originally signed up for dailyfreebooks I noticed an unusual amount of junk mail going into my spam folder. As I mentioned it could have been a coincidence. Coincidentally I signed up for something via swagbucks around the same time frame that I now regret doing. I do like the format of dailyfreebooks and will continue to use because the layout is so clean and user friendly!

Posted on May 31, 2012 11:11:53 AM PDT
Herbie says:
Hi HappyCamper,

Firstly I would like to reassure you that any spam mail did not originate from you signing up to our service - I am one of the senior members of the UK Kindle Users Forum and we take privacy very seriously with any of our websites. It's a very sad fact that the internet is becoming more and more frustrating due to the constant barrages of spam both on the web itself and via email.

Incidentally, almost certainly the reason you didn't get the first few mailers was because of email providers blocking them. We have been hard at work trying to get our servers white-listed and hopefully we should have far fewer subscribers missing out because of it.

Anyway, to answer your question, yes, it's definitely something that we can do in the very near future. The difficult bit is getting the balance between a good number of books from your favorite genres and making the emailer too long (and therefore more prone to being blocked). Perhaps going up to 4 genres would be a happy medium. Also noted above was a request to include the length of the books where possible and again this is something that will be done in the near future.

It's fairly early days yet for DailyFreeBooks.com, so once we assess how well received it is, we will definitely be looking to improve the service to bring our subscribers what they want.

Thanks again for your feedback.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Personal Documents Features
4 13 minutes ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle for PC Update 1.10.8
0 24 days ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite 1st Generation Software Update Version 5.4.4
445 12 hours ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Generation Software Update Version 5.4.3
133 1 day ago
Announcement
NEWS: Seeing "Invalid Item" When Using Kindle for Android?
55 4 days ago
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion III 1073 59 seconds ago
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks III 1687 1 minute ago
FB&C Wed-Fri Apr 16-18/2014 - FREE Books & Chat 23 8 minutes ago
My kindle won't turn on 1061 9 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #3: The place for recipes, sharing, caring, laughter, chat and fun! 8829 18 minutes ago
It's a Quirky Jungle Out There! With So Geese, Midnight Goats, Orange Loving Cows, Cat and Dog Overlords of the Universe, Velvet Monkeys Plus Cherie! 8057 18 minutes ago
ARRAY(0xd9c762ac)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  54
Total posts:  296
Initial post:  May 24, 2012
Latest post:  May 22, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers

Search Customer Discussions