Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

free ebooks on ghosts, horror, occult, terror,

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 2858 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 14, 2012 3:29:24 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jul 6, 2012 2:31:21 PM PDT
Barbarian says:
FREEBIES 2/14/2012

Enjoy these daily freebies and please feel free to discuss them and any other creepy and terrifying ebooks. Post yours here free or not free. Share with all the most frightening stories you've ever read that gave you nightmares and made your hair stand on end! AND Who are your favorite horror, ghost, occult, paranormal, and creepiest writers? Please stay on topic. Much appreciated.

I'll do my best to daily post the scariest ebooks here for you!

My favorite creepiest writers are: Robert E. Howard, H.P. Lovecraft, T.M. Simmons, James Everington, Edgar Allen Poe, Peter Drake, Hazel Heald, Arthur Machen, Clark Ashton Smith, Robert Bloch, Ray Bradbury, Stephen King, Joe Lansdale, Edwin Becker, and up and coming Marilyn Thompson.

http://horrorgenre.com/Authors/

Bad ValentinesLove is one of those words that people like to throw around - but sometimes love can be one of the meanest and nastiest games in town.

Ghost Hunting Diary Volume I (Ghost Hunting Diaries)This collection of ghost hunting diaries is a selection from those T. M. Simmons kept during her twenty years of adventures in the paranormal world. As a writer, she felt compelled to keep records of her encounters, and until now, she has only shared these with a few friends and relatives. Encouraged by their interest, and the awe and sometimes apprehension on their faces, she is editing some of the dozens upon dozens of diaries in her files. Volume I contains Down the Ghost Trail, which chronicles the start of T. M. Simmons' ghost hunting career at the haunted Myrtles Plantation in St. Francisville, Louisiana. Crossing Over explains how she learned to help lost souls cross into The Light. In Midnight Ferry, a late-night phone call sends her into a confrontation with a nasty ghost-witch who meant horrific harm. The other three stories are ones she chose as some of her favorites. She has also included a few definitions of her beliefs and the rules by which anyone whom she allows into her ghost hunting life must abide. These stories are true, and each new volume will be offered as a prelude to the upcoming fictional Dead Man mystery series. Dead Man Talking, which should be available as an ebook within a few days of this first volume, will be a fun, scary romp in the paranormal world. Part of the first chapter is included at the end.

These Old Tales Volume Two (A Collection of Short Stories, Poetry, and Flash Fiction)These Old Tales is a compilation of short stories, poetry, and flash fiction. Both the stories and the poetry are dark, but here is a brief synopsis of the six longer pieces within the compilation.

"The Patrol" visits the loneliness of war in-between the times when the fighting is taking place. It searches the dark recesses of the human mind for the horrid truths about war. It is within these folds the story takes a unique paranormal twist.

"The Daily News" is what one might call a moth man story. Lonely roads, deserted towns, and strange out-of-place newsstands are but the makings for a quick little story.

"Determination" takes place in another time, in a society unlike what we call normal. These people have found a way to make their utopian society function, and they will go to no end to preserve that perfection.

"After the Ocolitz" follows the tale of young Lindsay, and her quest to see the white foxes that visit their garage. She has many questions, and her mother's hesitant voice only piques her curiosity.

"Working From Home" finds a young man, curious as to what his father does for a living. The more he pries, the more the door opens, until there is no going back.

"Branded" focuses on a gunfight, and the reader is thrown into the battle and the struggle to discern what crimes have led to this end. Can Jake unravel this mess before time is up?

Trouser's EdgeFor Emery Trouser life was safe and mundane, contented and nondescript.
Or so he thought.
And then a portal to Hell opened in his kitchen.
He hadn't expected that.
So imagine his surprise upon discovering he was also a hunted pawn in a much bigger game and that the very fate of Hell lay partly in his hands.

Ghost Box: Six Supernatural Thrillers"Like Stephen King, he knows how to summon serious scares."-- Bentley Little, His Father's Son

Better leave the lights on for weeks! A box set of six supernatural thrillers from bestselling author Scott Nicholson, featuring more than 400,000 words of fiction. DRM-free.

THE RED CHURCH (Stoker Award finalist, alternate selection of the Mystery Guild Book Club): A boy and a sheriff must solve the mystery of a haunted Appalachian church when a strange preacher returns to town.

DRUMMER BOY: One misfit kid is all that stands between a small Appalachian town and a ghostly Civil War troop.

BURIAL TO FOLLOW: Roby Snow must help Jacob Ridgehorn find his eternal rest--or else.

CREATIVE SPIRIT: Artists at a remote Appalachian retreat discover their work is reviving a sinister spirit.

THE DEAD LOVE LONGER: Private investigator Richard Steele must solve his most difficult case ever--his own murder--while torn between women on opposite sides of the grave.

SPEED DATING WITH THE DEAD: A paranormal conference in the Appalachian Mountain's most haunted hotel goes haywire when ghost hunters accidentally stir up demons.

I'm always on the lookout for new and upcoming horror writers and even though it's not free it's worth every penny - My favorite thus far is by
James Everington The Other Room

Enjoy the nightmares!

Posted on Feb 14, 2012 3:42:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 14, 2012 5:01:06 PM PST
Barbarian says:
More Terrifying Freebie 2/14/2012

Conan: Red Nails: Red Nails"Red Nails" is the last of the stories about Conan the Cimmerian written by American author Robert E. Howard. It is set in the pseudo-historical Hyborian Age and concerns Conan encountering a lost city in which the degenerate inhabitants are proactively resigned to their own destruction. Due to its grim themes of decay and death, the story is considered a classic of Conan lore.

The BrotherhoodJenkins, Tim LaHayes coauthor for the Left Behind series, turns in a solid performance in this novel about a Chicago police officer who learns to deal with a life-altering tragedy. Chicago PD up-and-comer Boone Drake is devastated when a house fire kills his wife and son. He internalizes his emotions, cutting off virtually everyone who is close to him, and resists the urgings of those around him to seek spiritual guidance. But when he returns to active duty, he learns that he cant avoid confronting his inner demons. The religious theme is overt and central to the story, but Jenkins avoids proselytizing, preferring instead to let Boone make his own choices. Jenkins is a skilled, dramatic writer.

In My DreamsIt was happening again. The dreams. The nightmares. It was something seventeen year-old Elizabeth "Lizzy" Hayes thought she'd outgrown; dreams that would come true; detailed premonitions of how people would die. This time she dreams about her boyfriend, Michael Young, and soon discovers that he's been found... dead.

Is it a dream or is it real?

Posted on Feb 14, 2012 3:44:17 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 14, 2012 5:27:20 PM PST
Barbarian says:
Brotherhood isn't free so I deleted it. Thanks Zanzabar as it's free only to Prime members. I'll pay closer attention to detail.

A Cold, Cold Death For Thomas BaylorThomas Baylor has left his wife and child. He heads out into the nearby woods on a frigid winter night as a shortcut to the nearest hotel. Legend tells of a lake within these woods that hides a dark, dark secret, but Thomas is convinced it's just a childish campfire tale. But is it really?

This is a short story by A.R. Wise, the author of the Deadlocked series.

Happy creepy reading.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2012 5:13:03 PM PST
recluse says:
There you are!

Thanks, Barbarian!

Posted on Feb 14, 2012 5:14:21 PM PST
Barbarian says:
Recluse:) Welcome my friend.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2012 5:19:57 PM PST
Zanzibar says:
You have either the wrong link or the wrong description for The Brotherhood. The one by Jenkins isn't free.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2012 5:20:48 PM PST
recluse says:
Got some nice stuff there.

And some excellent taste.

I'm a big fan of Machen and Bloch.

Posted on Feb 14, 2012 5:22:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 14, 2012 5:25:52 PM PST
Barbarian says:
Thanks for catching that Zanzibar. At times I may click incorrectly or delete something and the links are in sinc with the description or chose one that's not free which shouldn't happen again. I'll be more careful. Welcome:)

Posted on Feb 14, 2012 5:34:30 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 14, 2012 5:39:38 PM PST
Barbarian says:
Bloch's Psycho by Hitchcock the master. Here's that website again:
http://horrorgenre.com/Authors/ and has links to their website!

1907 The Hill of Dreams, London: Grant Richards.
Almost undoubtedly Machen's most important and moving work. Lucian Taylor, the hero, is damned either through contact with an erotically pagan 'other' world or through something degenerate in his own nature, which he thinks of as a 'faun' . He becomes a writer, and when he moves to London he becomes trapped by the increasing reality of the dark imaginings of this creature within him, which become increasingly real. Machen drew copiously on his own early years in Wales and London, and the book as a whole is an exploration through imagination of a potential fate which he personally avoided. One of the first explorations in fiction of the figure of the doomed artist, who is biographically so much a part of the decadent 1890s. Has been reprinted as paperback, and appeared in more recent collections of Machen's work. . Woo Hoo! it's FREE!!!The Hill of Dreams and you save $7.99!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2012 5:47:50 PM PST
recluse says:
Can't beat that!

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 5:07:38 AM PST
Thank you, Barbarian! I like your new home!

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 11:09:02 AM PST
Rita Skeeter says:
Thank you!!! Great discussion topic!

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 11:16:03 AM PST
Beyond The Veil: A Ghost Story Anthology

Jojo's Anthology of Horror VOL. 1
Aberrations: Horror Stories

I love horror stories and anthologies, and zombies, and werewolves, and vampires (as long as they don't sparkle like a disco ball)

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 2:14:20 PM PST
Elaine says:
Barbarian will this discussion include End of the World type books too? thanks for all your work

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 4:13:57 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 15, 2012 4:16:52 PM PST
Barbarian says:
Elaina:

Sure - End of World is scary stuff. If I see any freebies on this I'll add them, too.

Any other request I'll do my best to keep an eye out for you and post them, too.

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 4:15:35 PM PST
Barbarian says:
Hi Charlene and everyone! Welcome[:)

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 4:37:44 PM PST
Barbarian says:
FREEBIES 2/15/2012

Here's one that has the co-author of THE WALKING DEAD:

For You the LivingFrom Chicago Horror author Wayne Allen Sallee comes this collection of zombie stories, told in the way only Sallee can, brutal, stark, filled with pain. Jay Bonansinga, co-author of THE WALKING DEAD and bestseeling author of PERFECT VICTIM and PINKERTON'S WAR says of the title story: "Chicago has its share of treasures - deep dish, the Bean, Kingston's blues, and Wayne Allen Sallee. Toiling in the stubborn vineyard of short fiction for most of his career, Sallee reaches a sort of a literary apogee with his brilliant and brutal horror novella "For You, The Living." Ostensibly a plague tale, told in classic Lovecraftian diary form, Sallee's yarn manages to deftly mingle the deeply personal with the gruesomely Grand Guignol. Riveting, ghastly, hilarious, creepy, and unforgettably Wayne-like, "For You, the Living" is at once a wholly original take on the zombie apocalypse genre while at the same time a heart-wrenching love story. This one will haunt you forever, folks. Highest recommendation!"

Welcome to Moon HillWelcome to Moon Hill: A collection of 19 stories, and a couple of surprises.

Moon Hill is a forgotten place that few purposely visit, and even less leave. Once you arrive, the deep dark of the forest creeps into your mind and will not relent. Strange flowers that grow from deer carcasses, murderous lunatics, talking ravens, wriggling parasites that induce eruptive confessions, and demons of every variety: they all live here too.

Even so, the residents of Moon Hill can feel, beyond the fear and distress, that this land is special and they are lucky to live here. Most everyone feels that way right up until the day they come a little too close to the magic of this place. When dusk's light leaks through their carefully locked doors and rips holes in their minds.

Then, they pray for release.

The Broken Lands (Diary of the Displaced)The Journal of James Halldon continues...

After escaping from The Corridor with DogThing, Rudy and Adler, James discovers that the world awaiting him outside is just as harsh as the one he had left behind.

The horrors that he had escaped from, that lurked in the darkness, would continue to haunt him in the bright sunlight of The Broken Lands.

Will he find a way to recover his memories?

Who was the creature that hunted him in The Corridor?

Jojo's Anthology of Horror VOL. 1Sit back in your favorite chair, dim the lights and read this macabre collection of horror stories. The tales included in this book will surely chill your bones and send shivers up your spines. What to read first? Maybe the one about the boy who gets a midnight visit from a "not-so-jolly-saint Nick"? Or about a evil kid that gets just what's coming to him? Or even the one about a night watchman that makes a terrifying discovery about the corporation that employs him? Or perhaps a butcher that gets a un-earthly visit from some unfourtunate souls whose graves he disturbed is more of your taste?
What are you waiting for? All 8 stories are dying to be read!

Stories include:
Santa Claws
The Undertaker
Urban Magic
The Gig
The Tombstone
Hunting Grounds
Rawhead and Bloody Bones
Nightshift

Beyond The Veil: A Ghost Story AnthologyBeyond The Veil is an anthology of ghost and spirit stories that encompass everything from vengeance, closure, or justice from beyond the grave, to portals from which sinister things can enter our world. Take a ride through these stories and explore some of the possibilities of existence beyond life.

Bees of St. John:

Shana Latray needs a vacation. Her life as a telecommunications service provider feels like a dead end. St. John of the Virgin Islands seems like paradise, but behind the frozen drinks, and the beaches, is a complicated history of invasion and ancient predators. Shana Latray realizes quickly that nothing, from the warm, friendly locals, to the ever-present bees among the profuse tropical flowers, are at all what they seem.

The IntersectionFrom the author of "Applewood" and "Sumner Gardens" comes a short story about a small town police chief with a vexing traffic problem. In his search for answers, he soon discovers that sometimes, not knowing is far better than knowing . . .
About the Author
Brendan P. Myers is a writer living in St. Petersburg, Florida, whose stories have appeared in the Northern Haunts anthology from Shroud Publishing, Malpractice: An Anthology of Bedside Terror from Necrotic Tissue, and Dead Worlds: Undead Stories from Living Dead Press.

Aberrations: Horror StoriesJeremy C. Shipp has brought together ten monster tales from today's masters of horror and supernatural suspense.

Stories by:
Scott Nicholson
Lisa Tuttle
Nate Kenyon
Lisa Morton
Kealan Patrick Burke
Simon Wood
Jeremy C. Shipp
Elizabeth Massie
Joe McKinney
Joseph Nassise

Praise for Jeremy C. Shipp:

"Jeremy C. Shipp's boldness, daring, originality, and sheer smarts make him one of the most vital younger writers who have colonized horror literature in the past decade. Shipp's modernist clarity, plus his willingness to risk damn near everything, put him up at the head of the pack with the very best."
-Peter Straub, author of Ghost Story

"Shipp's clear, insistent voice pulls you down into the rabbit hole and doesn't let go."
--Jack Ketchum, author of The Girl Next Door

Enjoy!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2012 5:05:31 PM PST
recluse says:
Thanks, Barbarian!

Posted on Feb 16, 2012 11:05:10 AM PST
Barbarian, you the man!

Posted on Feb 16, 2012 1:07:58 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 16, 2012 1:08:15 PM PST
Barbarian, I wanted to let you know that the new Penny Dreadnought is out which includes a new story by James Everington.
Penny Dreadnought: The Lone and Level Sands

Not free, but a great deal at .99!

Posted on Feb 16, 2012 4:10:37 PM PST
Barbarian says:
Charlene:) Thank's for letting me know. I have it.

Posted on Feb 16, 2012 4:46:17 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 16, 2012 4:59:17 PM PST
Barbarian says:
Freebies 2/16/2012

The CallingWinner of a Bram Stoker Award for his short story, "The Calling."

Winner of a World Fantasy Award for The Horror Show.

David B. Silva "is a talented writer of novels and short fiction, who knows where the heart of a story lies, and who deserves a larger audience than he has yet received." - Dean Koontz

"David B. Silva is one of the great unsung heroes of horror." - Bentley Little

DESCRIPTION: The house sits on a busy street, with traffic and kids and moms walking dogs all passing by every day, completely unaware of what's going on inside. There is the world out there, and the world in here, where a son is caring for his mother as she struggles against cancer through the final days of her life. Inside this house, something evil is calling.

Please read Keith Hammer's review!

BrothersWhispersHave you ever woken in the middle of the night and thought that your bedroom was a little smaller than when you went to sleep? That the air tasted different? That you house was just that little bit darker? You ever hold someone and know they weren't the person you held yesterday? It's true, all of it.

I hear whispers, sometimes. Bits of another world breaking through. You think these walls will protect you?

None of us are safe. And what I did... I had to do it. You believe me, don't you?

Whispers is a short piece of claustrophobic horror in the style of King and Philip K Dick. 1700 words.

Moby Jack & Other Tall TalesMoby Jack and Other Tall Tales is a collection of stories that span some 20 years. They cover a variety of themes and are more different, in style as well as content, than they are similar. As the author himself says, "Some writers follow a path of sameness in order to satisfy their readers' desire for familiarity. To me that's like going to same country for your holiday every year. It's not me. I like going somewhere different every time."

The tales range from Chinese fantasy ('Death of the Mocking Man') to science fiction ('Moby Jack'), to fantasy ('The Sculptor') to horror ('The Megowl') to ghost stories ('Hunter's Hall') -- but for the most part they're just plain odd and refuse to slot into any set category.

So, if you like weird stories, dark comedy and tales where characters get into impossible situations and only occasionally extract themselves, then you'll probably enjoy this volume

Enjoy!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2012 4:50:48 PM PST
recluse says:
Thanks, Barbarian!

Posted on Feb 16, 2012 5:13:25 PM PST
Thank you, as always, Barbarian!

Posted on Feb 17, 2012 4:57:36 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 17, 2012 5:13:15 PM PST
Barbarian says:
Freebies 2/17/2012

The Fisherman's Nightmare After reading inside it's well written and pertains to dreams!

A writer, distraught by the death of his wife, begins to fall into a sea of depression where the dark water is filled with malevolent fish, and the line between truth and fiction becomes untraceable.

Terror RisingCluj-Napoca, Romania -- a man is found brutally murdered in his apartment. His roommate, Nicolae Slavici, flees the scene; a police detective on his trail.

Meanwhile, a tiny island off the coast of Greenland is experiencing unexplainable gravity loss. A team of scientists investigates and slowly finds that science has been supplanted by some unnatural force.

Both threads will merge with deadly consequences for all, savior and victim alike!

Terror Rising is epic horror at its most bonechilling.

The terror is not only under the surface; it's IN YOUR FACE!

The Sallie House: Exposing the Beast Within This is a true story!A Must Read!
This book speaks of experiences that have ripped at the fabric of so many individuals involved with the Sallie House.

Deb Pickman, author of The Sallie House Haunting: A True Story

Renée Pawlish, author of the Reed Ferguson mystery series, Nephilim Genesis of Evil, first in a supernatural thriller trilogy, and Take Five, a short story collection, offers up a chilling account of a haunted house investigation.

Apartment 23ARobert Jenkins has been having nightmares since he was twelve years old. Now he's siting at the breakfast table with his wife who is leaving him for an older man. One moment she is sitting in front of him and the next he's on top of her lifeless body covered in blood. Was it murder? Go forward a few months and she's talking to him on the phone. Did it even happen? In this story one man has to fight to discover what's real and not.

The second book from the Author of "Finding the Flower Girl" comes this twisted tale of story filled with murder, arson, and demons.

Days of Vengeance (A Horror Novel) Love the cover!

A paranormal horror novel, about 106,000 words or 424 pages; DRM free.

For the fans of Stephen King and Dean Koontz...

With the last six years of his life wiped out of his memory, Frank suspects he may have murdered his wife Kelly, who vanished three days before the car crash that caused his amnesia. While struggling to remember Kelly and the events surrounding her disappearance, Frank is shocked to find out that his wife's family has the same suspicions as he does.

This book only has six reviews but all six are FIVES and very descriptive as being ---One the best horror books I have read in the last several years!

I had to download this one! Can' wait to read it.

Desperate Spirits Another great looking cover! I like what I read by the short read by clicking inside.

In this duo of supernatural thrillers, Calvin Bricker deals with desperate spirits right in his own neighborhood.

In "The Vacant Lot," a supernatural presence beckons from an empty neighborhood property. Calvin's curiosity leads him to an aged portrait painter with a terrible secret about a dead undertaker and his missing wife, who seeks eternal release.

In "How I Was Cured of Naïveté," a seemingly innocent spirit appears in the foyer of Calvin's home. When he discovers her fate, he sets her free-only to find that little girls aren't always made of sugar and spice. Snick, snick!

If you like crime and mystery with a supernatural bent, succumb to the call of Desperate Spirits!

The Demon VersionThree young women. One possessed. Rush her to a hospital? A church? Or, as one of them suggests, maybe they'll prefer the demon version. (A short story.)

Enjoy!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 115 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Personal Documents Features
1 2 hours ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle for PC Update 1.10.8
0 24 days ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite 1st Generation Software Update Version 5.4.4
445 10 hours ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Generation Software Update Version 5.4.3
133 1 day ago
Announcement
NEWS: Seeing "Invalid Item" When Using Kindle for Android?
55 4 days ago
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
Australian/Kiwi kindle users thread #3 7444 4 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #3: The place for recipes, sharing, caring, laughter, chat and fun! 8826 13 minutes ago
Kindle Fire HD - downloading pdf documents from the web? 27 19 minutes ago
no sound on my kindle fire 80 1 hour ago
Books not in Kindle store 25 1 hour ago
FB&C Wed-Fri Apr 16-18/2014 - FREE Books & Chat 16 1 hour ago
ARRAY(0x9a9db30c)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  95
Total posts:  2858
Initial post:  Feb 14, 2012
Latest post:  15 hours ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 46 customers

Search Customer Discussions