Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Immersion Reading

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 44 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 29, 2014 8:23:17 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 29, 2014 8:35:38 AM PDT
Bingogerl says:
I have had my kindle fire hdx 64gb for about 6 months. Just started having big problems with immersion reading. audio just stops...I then go to home page, click on audio book, then go back to ebook and immersion reading starts again. I have tried force stop as advised by tech on Mayday..nothing seems to fix it. Anyone else having this problem?

Posted on May 13, 2014 3:15:19 PM PDT
SelenaQ13 says:
Yes, me too. I just got it this past Saturday go figure. I was asked to let it speed up for 15 pages and then go back and start reading normally. That did not fix it, however. So I took another user's advice and deregistered it and registered it again and so far it seems to have fixed it.

Posted on May 13, 2014 3:26:34 PM PDT
Bingogerl says:
Lilliam, the Mayday tech had me deregister and registered and it worked for about 2 chapters and then stopped again. This has not solved my immersion reading problem. sorry

Posted on May 15, 2014 9:09:19 AM PDT
SelenaQ13 says:
You are correct, it worked for a day for me and then it had the same problem the next day. If there's a tech reading this, please help us fix this or do some type of update to fix this issue. I'm afraid it will be pointless to purchase audiobooks if immersion reading doesn't work properly.

Posted on May 15, 2014 5:51:56 PM PDT
Bingogerl says:
Yes, please, if Audible wants to sell its audio books then the Kindle Fire HDX HAS TO BE FIXED!!!!!! There has to be a lot of people with this same problem. Everyone needs to speak up, if you are having this problem.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2014 5:55:13 PM PDT
Artist says:
Actually, everyone needs to contact Customer Service. Complaining on this customer forum accomplishes nothing.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2014 6:01:54 PM PDT
King Al says:
Um, lots of people listen to Audible books on devices other than HDXs.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2014 6:09:34 PM PDT
Artist says:
With Immersion reading, they get to read the text while listening to the audio book. I think that's what they're complaining about.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2014 8:17:42 PM PDT
I am not having the immersion reading problem on my HDX.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2014 3:50:56 PM PDT
SelenaQ13 says:
Exactly, thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2014 6:12:40 PM PDT
Ed G says:
>>I'm afraid it will be pointless to purchase audiobooks if immersion reading doesn't work properly.

While I do hope your issue gets resolved, I have to say I tried immersion reading once and hated it. Now I buy Kindle books to read, and Audible books to listen to. Also Audible books were available (and clearly not pointless) much earlier than immersion reading.

Posted on May 16, 2014 8:52:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 16, 2014 9:13:54 PM PDT
M. Ratcheson says:
FWIW, I've run into unusual glitches with immersion reading recently. It just suddenly stops working. So far, rebooting my HDX has got it working again.

ETA: It just happened again. I'll be doing a Mayday call tomorrow, this isn't acceptable.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2014 9:18:45 PM PDT
I wonder why it isn't happening to all HDXs.

Posted on May 16, 2014 9:33:34 PM PDT
This could be a long shot but the timetable suggests I mention it.

I am not having a problem with immersion reading on my HDX but I did have a problem last Sunday wherein I came back after 10 minutes to the Fire ABD it wouldn't turn on even after several reboots. I called CS and they had me run through the reboot process again and the 2nd time it worked. That night I noticed the green screen.

So, bizarre as it sounds, try rebooting up to six times. Shouldn't hurt and might help.

Posted on May 19, 2014 7:19:29 AM PDT
Bingogerl says:
WELL.... Thank you Nospin....I did the reboot 6 times.....I deleted the audio book from device....rebooted again...reloaded the audiobook from the cloud...rebooted again and now my immersion reading is working. I have been a month speaking with Mayday Techs and Audible Techs and they haven't been responsive to my problem, now it appears to be working properly after the sequence of reboots. I'm happy and now I love my Kindle Fire HDX again.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2014 7:30:34 AM PDT
My worthless 2˘: It would make me absolutely nuts. What if I want to reread a passage? There's lots of times I kind of go, "Wait. What?" if there's some piece of intrigue going on. I'd have to stop & start ... ugh, no, thanks.

And while listening to an audio book, I can accept the reader's vocal interpretation, I would find it difficult to do if I was reading the print at the same time; I'd be distracted by the reader. "Shhh! I'm reading!"

I'm glad it's available for those who want it--more power to 'em, but I'm categorically not interested, personally.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2014 10:33:02 AM PDT
SelenaQ13 says:
If immersion reading doesn't work on my HDX, I personally wouldn't have any reason to buy audio books. I didn't mean to say that audiobooks are pointless altogether.

Posted on May 30, 2014 6:58:27 PM PDT
My daughter's immersion reading keeps stopping. She needs this device to help her learn to read but now she refuses to read along to the voice because it keeps stopping. I have talked to at least 4 different Amazon and Audible tech experts and they all tell me something different. They even sent me a new device but it's still not working. I don't know what to do. Can anyone help??

Posted on May 31, 2014 5:16:05 AM PDT
Amazon says:
I have fixed this problem! Please try my method.
1. delete audible file
2. Menu/Settings/Applications/Audiobooks/ -> High Quality Format:Off
3. Menu/Audiobooks / -> download audible file

High Quality Format:Off (_ep5.aax) -> no problem.
High Quality Format:On(_ep6.aax ) -> problem.

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2014 7:17:48 AM PDT
Bingogerl says:
Thx Toshihide I will try. but, first, tell me what this means (_ep5.aax) &qt....

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2014 12:11:01 PM PDT
Amazon says:
Audible has four different formats.
http://www.audible.com/audioformats

audio format4 -> mp3 level ( file name :_ep5.aax)
audible enhanced format = kindle High Quality Format -> CD level ( file name : _ep6.aax)

If you have installed ES File Explorer ,you can see all files in Audible folder.
(Maybe your file name is _ep6.aax)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2014 3:09:49 PM PDT
Colin says:
sadly I have the problem with either quality

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2014 3:14:57 PM PDT
Hi Colin, I have the same problem with immersion reading. I have called Amazon many times and every rep tells me to do something different but it still is not fixed. I finally got a rep who is going to keep working on the problem on my behalf. She's working with the tech guys and she says eventually they will solve the problem. At that point she will let me know what to do to fix the thing. I will post the response here.

Sally

Posted on Jun 7, 2014 5:27:11 PM PDT
Bill says:
I am having what seems like the same problem with the HDX : The immersion reading will freeze often at the end of a page. I also have reported it several times. I finally just deregistered it and powered it off. I went back to my Fire HD, which does not have the problem. At least so far.

Posted on Jun 8, 2014 4:52:56 AM PDT
Bill says:
I did go into the applications on the menu and turned off the high quality format. So far, it appears to be helping.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  44
Initial post:  Apr 29, 2014
Latest post:  Jan 22, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions