Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Stop Daily Deals

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 58 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 7, 2013 6:21:40 PM PDT
PeteC says:
Is there a way to stop these Daily Deals. I lay down my kindle and pick it up 20 minutes later and the screen is locked to some daily deal and nothing gets me away from that other then reading the rest of their add. This is worse than spam before they had spam filters.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2013 6:23:15 PM PDT
Are you talking about Special Offers? You can pay to have those removed. How much depends on which device.

Posted on Apr 7, 2013 6:33:11 PM PDT
PeteC says:
I believe it is a "Kindle". And you have to be kidding. My kids paid big bucks for this as a xmas present and still I have to get adds.
Time to put in the wrong wep code.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2013 6:36:48 PM PDT
There's more than one Kindle. Whichever one it is, your kids paid less for it because it's ad supported. Pay, or live with it and quit staring at the sleep screen.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2013 6:42:55 PM PDT
CarMel says:
If you are talking about the special offers you are not actually forced to READ the ad. Turn on the device, swipe the lock, whichever device you have. No device actually requires you to click on the ad and read it before continuing on. As Yes said, if they bother you that much you can pay the extra money and have them removed.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2013 6:57:30 PM PDT
Artist says:
If it's the Kindle, they paid $69. That's not "big bucks" as far as Kindles are concerned.

Posted on Apr 7, 2013 7:00:57 PM PDT
PeteC says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2013 7:02:45 PM PDT
That's the screensaver. If your kids hadn't bought the cheap Kindle, you'd STILL see a screensaver, it just wouldn't be an ad.

Face it. The Kindle was CHEAPER because of the ads. So either pay the difference or deal with the ad for 0.2 seconds while you flip your Kindle back on.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2013 7:04:30 PM PDT
You don't know how to wake it but you're going to program java? M'kay.

Posted on Apr 7, 2013 7:06:46 PM PDT
PeteC says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2013 7:08:05 PM PDT
Aw.

Posted on Apr 7, 2013 7:20:46 PM PDT
well... then alter the settings to when it goes to sleep and thus you wouldn't lose our place or train of thought. The price of the kindle purchased for you was 15-20 bucks less than the ad - less version. For me.... I wake up my kindle, slide the lil thing across the screen and ad is gone. I don't even pay attention to what it is. It wasn't worth 15 bucks to not have them appear at all. I don't notice them so not a big deal.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2013 7:23:40 PM PDT
 Ann says:
Your Kindle automatically goes to sleep after 10 minutes of inactivity, and displays a sleep screen. That screen will either be a standard sleep screen or an ad/offer - depending on whether you are subscribed to special offers or not.

In either case, to wake your Kindle from sleep mode, just press the power button briefly. See http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_k4land_button?nodeId=200728360#switch. If your power button isn't working, then there's something wrong with your device and you should contact customer support for help.

If you'd prefer to see a standard sleep screen rather than an ad when your Kindle goes to sleep, you can unsubscribe from the offers. See http://amazon.com/help/kindlespecialoffers.

Posted on Apr 7, 2013 7:25:10 PM PDT
Artist says:
It's $20 to stop the ads on the K4.

There's no way to stop the sleep screen, but it shouldn't pop up until about 10 minutes of inactivity.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2013 7:27:05 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 7, 2013 7:27:31 PM PDT]

Posted on Apr 7, 2013 7:33:49 PM PDT
CarMel says:
You really, really don't need to go through "the more information crap". You just need to wake the Kindle from sleep mode and it goes away. The Kindle goes to sleep when there are no page turns for awhile. It would go to sleep like that with or without the ads.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2013 7:41:18 PM PDT
Anne Shirley says:
I'm sure they'll be devastated. Oh, and be sure your kids know that you think their gift is annoying crap.

Posted on Apr 7, 2013 7:43:31 PM PDT
PeteC says:
OK, it I didn't know about just 'bumping" the power button.

I think I'll use the windows version of the manual for learning and the kindle version for trips to the bathroom.

Thanks All.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2013 7:47:08 PM PDT
Duh.

Posted on Apr 7, 2013 7:50:25 PM PDT
PeteC says:
Straight But Not Narrow Cat says:
"I'm sure they'll be devastated. Oh, and be sure your kids know that you think their gift is annoying crap."

I'm forwarding this link to them. They'll get over it.

Thanks again

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2013 7:51:51 PM PDT
"I'm forwarding this link to them."

Think you can manage that?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2013 7:57:20 PM PDT
Anne Shirley says:
Cool. What an azzhat.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2013 7:58:57 PM PDT
Anne Shirley says:
Well, if you're happy looking like an arsze, I'm certainly happy that you are.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2013 8:01:24 PM PDT
Oliver says:
Sounds like a bad case of Stockholm Syndrome for the poor kids.

Posted on Apr 8, 2013 6:13:05 AM PDT
PeteC says:
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  58
Initial post:  Apr 7, 2013
Latest post:  Apr 10, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions