Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Shop Now DOTD
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Curiosity discussion: Are successful male authors a dying breed?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 47 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 30, 2013 11:32:40 AM PDT
H W says:
My logic is simple. It is based on stats.

Female bestsellers, are currently ranked number 1 more often than male authors and are more numerous. They have well over 50% of the market share (2013). Today, the biggest market is contemporary fiction (thrillers and romance being the top sellers). Female readers are also the largest audience these days!

And in all honesty, because I'm a male, I feel more intrigued by the female mind. Do women feel the same?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2013 11:36:30 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
a lot of polls show that female readers far outnumber male readers which might account for that

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2013 11:40:25 AM PDT
Just Peachy says:
I pay little attention to the gender of authors.

Posted on Oct 30, 2013 11:43:37 AM PDT
I think that basing such a broad statement on data that is 1)drawn only on the UK and 2)includes only e-books is more than a bit of a stretch.

Posted on Oct 30, 2013 11:48:45 AM PDT
Miss Carol says:
Do you base your reading on the gender of the author? I often don't really notice. I just checked my first 12 collections (which includes Romance) and out of 86 books where I could tell just by looking the gender of the author 52 are female and 34 are male. I don't actually usually buy or read books as that as a consideration though.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2013 11:51:57 AM PDT
T. Cannon says:
I have never really paid attention to the gender of the authors I read but I just counted and of the last 20 books I purchased 16 had male authors and 4 had female authors. When I list off my favorite authors J.K. Rowling would always be in there but she is actually the only female.

Posted on Oct 30, 2013 11:53:04 AM PDT
H W says:
Hi M. Francis,

Yes, good and valid points. However, a Google search reveals many sites reporting similar data around the globe, I just didn't want to flood my opening comments with links!

Posted on Oct 30, 2013 11:54:52 AM PDT
scoutyjones says:
I stopped trying to find female authors who write horror...sick of the romanticism they put in, I do look at the gender of the author depending on the genre

Posted on Oct 30, 2013 11:57:37 AM PDT
H W says:
Kindle may be in its own unique demographic, but looking at the top 100 lists (both free and paid) it does tend to show more female authors. Albeit that John Grisham is currently the number 1 for paid :P *palm to face*.

But what I am saying, is that female authors create more of the bestsellers these days! Rather than all books in general.

Posted on Oct 30, 2013 12:01:53 PM PDT
Debi says:
Gender has nothing to do with my choice of books, so who knows. A lot of women use their initials and many times I don't find out they are female until after I've started reading the books. I think male vs female for me is pretty equal.

Posted on Oct 30, 2013 12:03:26 PM PDT
H W says:
Very interesting article, showing the divides and where each gender has more or less success. Quite interesting comments from authors and readers too.

Posted on Oct 30, 2013 12:06:28 PM PDT
CBRetriever says:
male/female reading rates

and I'm amazed at the numbers of the French I see reading serious literature, philosophy, etc during their daily commute compared to US residents

Posted on Oct 30, 2013 12:07:17 PM PDT
Looks pretty even in the US to me

Current NYT bestseller list (paper & eBook combined)
13 Female authors
12 Male authors

Current NYT bestseller list (eBook)
14 Female authors
11 Male authors

#1 books of 2012 (NY Times)
10 Female authors
11 Male authors

Posted on Oct 30, 2013 12:21:47 PM PDT
H W says:
Well, technically, pretty even isn't even :) just to be obnoxious, the female authors are outnumbering the male authors in 2 of the 3 categories you have pasted.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2013 12:26:11 PM PDT
Being statistically even =/= "a dying breed" or anything close to "well over 50%".

Posted on Oct 30, 2013 12:29:05 PM PDT
T. Cannon says:
I was once told (how is that for an authoritative source) that enough Bibles are sold each week that it would always be the #1 Best seller. Since that would be boring to see each week it just doesn't count. If this is true, 1) how many or those Bibles are actually read, and 2) for your discussion is the author male of female?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2013 12:29:22 PM PDT

One of my grandfathers read things like National Geographic and Popular Mechanics, and the other, well ... he didn't really read at all for pleasure.

My dad read the newspaper, and things like Time Magazine. But never novels. I don't ever remember seeing the man with a book.

My ex-h read biographies and histories and text booky type stuff, but never novels. I don't think I ever saw him read a single work of fiction.

So my frame of reference says that "men don't read fiction", but clearly that's not accurate.

But out of the first 45 books on my "Freebies & Samples" Kindle, only 9 are male, and 36 are female.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2013 12:30:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 30, 2013 12:30:47 PM PDT
LOO LOO says:
I haven't checked your stats or done any research to verify what you think might be true - but if it is, yeehaw! Let the females dominate in publishing - males dominate in so much else (and for no other reason than they are male).

I may have to go through my reading lists of the past few months but I will tell you I've found quite a few new male authors, like the aforementioned, "A Fault in Our Stars," by John Green. All in all, though, I think I read more female writers' works - I tend toward romance and all of its sub-genres. Though, I mentioned Nicholas Sparks in an earlier post, I've never read any of his books and have only seen one of his movies. I would consider his romance.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2013 12:32:16 PM PDT
H W says:
Ok well that is more in line with what I'm getting at. My father and grandfathers on both sides never read novels! But My mother and sister do!
And I do, but I appear to be the anomaly in my small family.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2013 12:32:25 PM PDT
Since men almost exclusively were ever taught to write in those days, one would almost have to call the collection (for so it is) to have been written by men.

And I'd hazard to say that a fair number of the Bibles sold are for presentation purposes, only. I'm sure a lot of them are purchased for study, as well. But a lot of them are just for, "Because we give them Bibles for __________ (insert achievement)."

Posted on Oct 30, 2013 12:36:49 PM PDT
Something else to consider. Romance is a big seller - and many of those books are written by men, using women's pseudonyms. The same is true of mysteries, albeit to a lesser degree. If it's a "cozy" mystery, a man will often either use a woman's name, or just use initials. Women who write thrillers/hard-boiled books will use initials, or maybe a gender-neutral name like Pat.

One example - there is a mystery writer whose real name (I think) is Tim Myers. He's written 3 series under that name. He has also written as Elizabeth Bright, Melissa Glazer, Chris Cavender, Casey Mays, Jessica Black, Jessica Beck and D. B. Morgan.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2013 12:39:06 PM PDT
CBRetriever says:
Mr CBR reads chess books, astronomy and geology books, poetry and I've only known him to read some fiction in the 36+ years we've been married:

Lord of the Rings
the first Thomas Covenant series
Game of Thrones
and quite a few Georges Simenon books in French (part of learning French)

and he tried to read some Arnette Lamb books because we were friends of hers, but he just couldn't do it

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2013 12:45:45 PM PDT
Miss Carol says:
How funny. My father, my brother and my son all read fiction. I guess I've never heard of the "men don't read fiction" thought before because of that. I think it's strange when I hear of anyone who doesn't enjoy reading fiction!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2013 12:46:03 PM PDT
I do recall that the ex-h read all the Left Behind books in a row. He kept trying to TELL me about them, which I *hate* when people do that. Not because of the subject matter, but it's the same as when someone tries to tell me the plot of a tv show. If I didn't see it, it ain't gonna translate.

If I didn't read the books, don't try to get me to experience them vicariously through your synopsis. Gah!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2013 12:46:31 PM PDT
The ex-h couldn't wrap his mind around wanting to read something "made up".
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
What's New in IOS Version 4.12?
56 2 days ago
Introducing Fire-Setting an Entirely New Standard for a Tablet under $50
0 Sep 18, 2015
Introducing the All-New Fire HD: Powerful Tablets Designed for Entertainment
0 Sep 18, 2015
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
How do you register your kindle fire? 12 36 seconds ago
SwagBucks Thread 8599 2 minutes ago
Never again buy a pre release 4 3 minutes ago
The Quirkier, The Better! Bring Your Dogs, Cats, Exploding Chickens, So Geese, Fighting Turkeys, Goats, Fluffy Sheep, Cows, Velvet Monkeys, Big Honking Bats, Fishlettes And Cherie! Tally Ho! 4878 3 minutes ago
83 and we're RAoKing PRIME 6602 5 minutes ago
siriusxm update 8 5 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #5: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food 4574 19 minutes ago
How to upload pictures from my Kindle Fire to my Facebook account? 34 19 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  47
Initial post:  Oct 30, 2013
Latest post:  Oct 30, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions