Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Next generation Kindle?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 30, 2013 3:55:58 PM PDT
I have an older Kindle with the keyboard and using Whispernet only. I would like to purchase a newer Kindle (not the Fire, I have that already) but I don't want to get one now and have a newer version come out soon after.

Is there any planned release date for the next Kindle?

Thanks!

Posted on Apr 30, 2013 3:57:59 PM PDT
New models come out in the Fall. Last year, they came out in early September. In 2011, the Fire came out in November.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2013 4:15:21 PM PDT
Thank you Laura! Although I'd really like a wifi/3G for the summer i think I'll wait to see what's coming next.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2013 4:18:00 PM PDT
Not sure if it will be this year, but I am betting on a new Paperwhite model with audio.

Posted on Jul 21, 2013 2:25:03 PM PDT
Faye says:
If they release PW with audio then I'm sold... it would be my first kindle purchase. Until then, I'll stick with my Kobo.

Posted on Nov 20, 2013 8:14:37 AM PST
David Sims says:
I want to buy a Kindle Paperwhite that has an expansion slot for a 32 GB microSD card. Kobo Glo has this, and the PW should, too. I have a big library, and the built-in memory of the PW just won't hold it all. I use Amazon Cloud, of course, but I like to keep spare copies local, on removable media, inside EMP-proof bags.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2013 8:29:37 AM PST
T. Cannon says:
You can download the books to your computer and then put them onto a flash drive of your choosing and put that in your EMP-proof bag. Then if you need the backup you can put it back on the computer and then back onto the Kindle. The copy will only work on that Kindle you download it for but then that would also be the case if you were storing it on a micro SD card.

I think this is as close as you are going to get to what you are wanting.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2013 8:40:52 AM PST
"I want to buy a Kindle Paperwhite that has an expansion slot for a 32 GB microSD card."

There isn't such a thing.

I load all my books into Calibre and back that up to an SD card. I'm not paranoid enough to bother with EMP-proof bags though.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2013 8:49:55 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2013 9:07:41 AM PST
Why do those spare copies all need to be on the actual device all the time? Just store the copies in your Super-Special EMP-proof bags (really?), and transfer books you want to read as needed. The PW holds over 1,000 books... which should be enough of a selection to get a typical person through those rough nights when you just can't decide what to read.

On a related thought, it's interesting how e-readers have changed perspectives of owning media. Pre-ereader, when books were paper on a shelf (but really, who remembers anything before 2007 anyhow?), it would have been fantasy to have a device that held 1,000 books at a time. Now, it's not enough for some people. Now we need 10,000 at a time, or 100,000, or the entire Library of Congress. Anything less and Amazon sucks.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2013 8:53:14 AM PST
"I'm not paranoid enough to bother with EMP-proof bags though."

You'll regret that lack of preparation when the Nuclear Zombie Communist Ninja Apocalypse arrives and you loose all of your copies of the Twilight series.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2013 8:56:57 AM PST
I only regret that I don't have physical copies of Twilight to burn for fuel during the NZCNA.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2013 9:01:00 AM PST
T. Cook says:
Where do I find these Communist Ninjas? And loose copies of Twillight (easier to burn when the pages are loose)?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2013 9:09:07 AM PST
They are hiding right behind the Spelling Nazis to your left.

;-)

loose. lose.

Toe-may-toe. Toe-mah-toe.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2013 9:15:19 AM PST
Loose copies of Twilight might better be utilized for something else that sometimes loose, iykwimaityd.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2013 9:23:12 AM PST
Definitely better than those 3-leafed plants in the woods around my house.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2013 10:23:25 AM PST
LadyH95 says:
But aren't those backups, which are keyed for a specific device, useless unless that device is also inside the EMP-proof bag?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2013 10:43:54 AM PST
quilt lover says:
He might be able to remove the DRM at that point, that is if his computer is also in the EMP-proof bag.

(We need a bigger bag!)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2013 10:45:56 AM PST
David, if you have a large library the best way to manage it and to back it up to portable storage is with Calibre and Calibre Portable: http://calibre-ebook.com/download

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2013 10:53:57 AM PST
T. Cook says:
Any EMP proof "bag" doesn't sound too protective from being crushed (presumably by the building collapsing during the Nuclear Ninja Apocalypse...)
Maybe he needs to line a Pelican case with lead...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2013 11:05:49 AM PST
CBRetriever says:
what about charging the kindle?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2013 11:07:56 AM PST
T. Cook says:
I assumed he carried a bicycle powered generator with him since the expected EMP would fry the power grid...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  Apr 30, 2013
Latest post:  Nov 20, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions