Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindlean vs. Calibre Collections Manager

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 12, 2012 8:36:27 AM PDT
Surveyah says:
I just found out about this program today (Kindlean) to organize collections on your Kindle.....unfortunately the free version will only track up to 100 books (it shuts down if theres more). The pay version is 19.95, and while I am not a cheapskate, I was wondering if anyone else had used it, and whether or not you can accomplish the same thing with Calibre...

Thanks...

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 8:51:43 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 12, 2012 8:53:08 AM PDT
MysteryL says:
Which Kindle do you have? The calibre Kindle Collections plug in works on Kindle DX, 2, 3, and 4 non-touch, but not Kindle Touch or Kindle Fire.

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 8:54:36 AM PDT
GreyDay says:
Calibre has a plugin for collection management, handles an unlimited amount and is free and constantly being improved. I wouldn't bother with kinlean. At least try calibre before you decide you need something else and pay. It could save you $20.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2012 12:37:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 12, 2012 12:37:55 PM PDT
Surveyah says:
I have the Kindle 3, and I do use Calibre for managing collections.....I was just wondering if Kindlean was easier, better, or worth the money...and if anyone else had used it....

Posted on Apr 13, 2012 5:47:57 AM PDT
Surveyah says:
one last try.......

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2012 6:21:59 AM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
I use Calibre myself. I can't see trying anything else when the program I already use is perfection :-)

Posted on Apr 13, 2012 7:17:03 AM PDT
Calibre is not working with Touch Collections. Only one working with Touch Collections was Kindlean but after yesterdays Touch firmware update (5.1) Kindlean is not working with Touch collections too.

Posted on Apr 21, 2012 3:50:00 PM PDT
I did purchase the pay version of Kindlean so that I could add books to my Kindle Touch directly to collections.

I'm not so sure it was a great purchase because you still have to add books to collections one at a time. It does save me a bit of time from managing the collections from my Kindle Touch home page, but how much time is debatable.

Posted on Apr 21, 2012 4:01:20 PM PDT
I don't worry about collections for the Touch with Calibre. I have set up 3 collections on the Touch. Reading and To Read and Finished. I use Calibre to decide which books I'm interested in reading next and either side load them to the Touch or download via Manage Your Kindle. Once the books are on the Touch it is easy to move them to the correct Collection. I set up a custom column in Calibre where I note which collection the book is in. It is easy to sort and find out which ones I have already read.

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 5:00:19 AM PDT
jsut a girl says:
50freakingpercentoff (discount code for kindlean) - it manages kindle touch collections .... if it can why can't calibre!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2013 7:46:50 AM PDT
G. Powell says:
I felt the same hesitation but eventually bit the bullet and bought it. It is truly wonderful and has transformed my Kindle experience. I have two of these machines and use one for serious non-fiction and one for fiction. I need not have done that as Kindlean shows that you can get some 3,000 books on any machine. But it orders your titles, lets you look at them to see you have properly edited them and many other good things. I have no connection with the company. Gareth Powell

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2013 7:50:32 AM PDT
G. Powell says:
I use both. This seems to work, for me, extremely well. I love Calibre to little bits and think it one of the great programs on the Internet and use it for sorting and annotating my collection of books. But when I travel -- and I travel a lot -- I use a Kindle. And for that Kindlean does it more easily, slightly better and with a sense of style. Both Calibre and Kindlean are, in my opinion, wonderful. But Kindlean is easier to use for a Kindle than Calibre. -- Gareth

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2013 8:07:47 AM PDT
You're awesome :)

Posted on Apr 13, 2014 3:39:27 PM PDT
K. Angus says:
I installed Calibre JUST to use the Series Column, I still have to enter each book into the column but at least I can figure out what the position of the book is in a series without opening every book in the series!
Too bad Ebook publishers do not enforce a simple naming schema: Title, [Series], [Series Number], Release Date, Author, [Update Date], Size MB, Size Page, Size WC, [Book], [Episode] - With Groups I still can't tell the position of a book in a series and I can't "nest" collections as in Author, Series.

Posted on Apr 13, 2014 6:16:54 PM PDT
Try fictfact.com for series. Very easy to use!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2014 11:13:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 14, 2014 11:14:15 AM PDT
Reading Mom says:
good idea. I use fictfact for series and it really makes keeping up easy. The books are listed in order, you check them off as read, they keep track of the percentage of books in a series you have completed, and alert you to new books in your followed series.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Apr 12, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 14, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions