Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Need to transfer pictures from Nikon SLR camera to Kindle Fire. Has anyone found a cable that will allow that transfer?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 20, 2012 9:07:24 AM PDT
Has anyone downloaded pictures onto a Kindle Fire. Will be traveling and want to be able to transfer pictures from Nikkon camera to Kindle Fire. Need a cable with an end that will plug into camera and an end that will plug into Kindle Fire. Kindle Fire doesn't have a USB port. Every cable that I have has a USB port on one end. Help!!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2012 9:08:46 AM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Sorry it can't be done.

Posted on Aug 20, 2012 9:22:34 AM PDT
Kindle Fire does have a USB port (it just uses a micro USB rather than the full size) but it is unable to host another device (such as your camera or card reader) so, as Jeff says, it can't be done.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2012 10:14:47 AM PDT
quilt lover says:
You will need to transfer to a laptop or other computer first, then to the fire. Can't do it directly from the camera.

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 11:49:10 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 3, 2013 11:53:38 PM PST
loryn says:
transfer photos from digital camera onto android phone a using a sd micro adapter for the camera, then put it in your phone load images onto photocloud app from your android phone then acess cloud using kindle. i havent done this its just theoritcal at this point.

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 11:50:50 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 3, 2013 11:51:56 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 6:27:08 AM PST
how do I transfer my pictures on Amazon cloud to my i pod. I have windows 8 on my computer.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 6:34:54 AM PST
How is this a Kindle question? You might do better in the General Help Forum.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 6:42:34 AM PST
I did find a cable that plugs into my kindle with micro USB, and female adapter on other end that accepts my card reader. But when i plug them all in, nothing happens. So even though i have the cable, your telling me I cant download pictures directly without having to download to computer first?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 6:43:39 AM PST
Yes, that is correct. The Fire has no ability to host another device in that manner.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 6:49:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 17, 2013 6:50:10 AM PST
Yes, Roberta, that is correct.

The USB port on the Kindle is not able to host any USB connected devices... you can connect your Kindle to your camera, but (for lack of a better analogy) they both look at each other like they are storage devices so they don't know what they are supposed to "do" with the data stored on them.

A laptop or desktop computer is more than just a storage device, it houses the "brain" which can be instructed how and to where data should be moved around... which is why transferring the photos to your computer is a necessary intermediate step.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 7:13:41 AM PST
Disappointing, but thats the way it is. Thanks for the info, so I'll quit wasting my time! Totally makes sense.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 7:19:32 AM PST
I did find a cable that plugs into my kindle with micro USB, and female adapter on other end that accepts my card reader. But when i plug them all in, nothing happens. So even though i have the cable, your telling me I cant download pictures directly without having to download to computer first?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 7:21:11 AM PST
It's like Groundhog Day.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 7:27:33 AM PST
If you own one of the Kindle Fire devices, you do have another option available if you have a compatible camera. The Eye-Fi Pro X2 8GB Wireless SD Memory Card - EYE-FI-8PC Wi-Fi SD Memory Card card (while a bit spendy) has the ability to transfer your photos directly and wirelessly from your camera to your Kindle Fire device using the Eye-Fi app available in the Amazon App store.

I use the Eye Fi card myself; it's drawback is (as I mentioned) it is a bit spendy and it can be a little confusing for some to set up initially. On the positive side, once you've configured it, you can easily send your pictures instantly to your compatible Android devices (like the Fire, other Android tablets, your Android phone).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 7:29:14 AM PST
Yeah, I can't figure out if something is wonky with the website here, or if it was an accidental repost on the OP's part... I saw this same phenomenon yesterday in another thread, not to mention some posts are appearing out of order.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 7:32:27 AM PST
AND, while I was used to IE being wonky on the "recently viewed" box, Chrome has been seamless since I switched long, long ago. Then yesterday, that box was freaking out, too.

I did hear that Amazon is doing away with tags. I don't know if that sort of recoding could cause these kind of glitches, but... ??

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 7:45:30 AM PST
~nospin says:
Really?
I wonder what they have planned to replace them.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 7:51:35 AM PST
What if there is no tomorrow? There wasn't today.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 8:29:54 AM PST
Please oh please let it not be some convoluted "rating" system. Please, no.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2013 8:30:06 AM PST
*mind blown*
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  Aug 20, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 17, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions