Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

battery

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-18 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 13, 2013 6:54:39 PM PST
I have a kindle fire. This is the second one I have had but if I unplug it from charge it turns off and it comes back on after i plug it up in just a few minutes. I looked at settings then went to device and the battery life says 0% and the little battery symbol at the top has a question mark in it. Please help me if their is any thing else I can do before I have to call and get another replacement kindle fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 7:03:07 PM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
How are you charging it?

Posted on Jan 13, 2013 7:09:40 PM PST
Sheldon says:
First off, it takes quite a while to charge up a kindle so give it some time. This is especially true if you are using the USB port on a computer. If it isn't starting to charge after about a half hour it could very well be your charger or your cable. Try using a known good USB charger like from an iPod, iPhone or iPad. If that doesn't work you may have a bad cable. Try to beg borrow or steal another Kindle charge cable. They are all the same. Make sure the charger is plugged into a good outlet. Some turn off and on with wall switches so make sure that's not the problem. If none of these work you'll have to call Amazon. Let us know what happens.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 7:21:42 PM PST
❤ Ann says:
The question mark on the battery symbol usually means that the battery monitoring software is unable to determine the state of the battery. A reboot will usually fix this. Let it charge for a while, unplug it, press and hold the power button for 20 seconds (ignore the shut down prompt), release, then press power once again to restart.

This app is very helpful in calibrating and monitoring the battery - Battery HD Pro

Posted on Jan 13, 2013 7:45:21 PM PST
How can you tell when your kindle's battery is fully charged, I have the standard Kindle

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 7:47:17 PM PST
Sheldon, My spouse's Kindle Fire 1 had a charging issue. It took longer and longer to charge. I bought the Kindle back in July so it was under warranty. Amazon customer support sent me a replacement, putting a hold charge on my account credit card, then when they got the dead Kindle, they released the charge.

Also, my wife liked the white charger so I got her 1. The Kindle fire needs 1.8 amps to charge so the I got her a Amazon basics 2.1 amp charger (about $10 and ships with Prime for free) and the newer Kindle Fire 1 charges a lot faster

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 2:24:03 PM PST
I have been charging it for 10 days now and I have reset it lots of times. I have also used a bunch of different chargers. PLEASE HELP

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 2:37:20 PM PST
Tamara, if you have been dealing with this problem for 10 days, it is time to talk to someone at Kindle CS.

Click the Help link at the top of this page, then the Contact Us button on the right of the next page. The Call Me option works very well, I do not suggest email support. You need to talk to someone in real time.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 4:54:48 AM PST
Gail says:
I have a Kindle Fire I got in April, 2012. First it started taking longer and longer to charge, now, it keeps shutting off the charger and I have to wiggle the cord, to try and get it to charge again. I use it a lot. Is it the charger or the Kindle? And how do I tell. I'll try to get a hold of a different cord to try too.

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 5:46:14 AM PST
Just informed by a Battery seller that the Kindle 2 must have a S11S01B (Lithium Polymer) to work properly. There are alot of sellers selling S11S01A (Lithium-Ion) for the Kindle2. I bought 2 and they did not charge nor would the Kindle2 work even when plugged in. So be sure to check the number of unit being sold to assure it is S11S01B

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2013 6:08:16 AM PST
Stop it. This is like the 5th time you've posted this.

Exactly how many Kindle 2's do you think people are changing the batteries on?

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 6:11:35 AM PST
dybeye says:
Contact customer service. My Kindle Fire was doing the same thing. Showing a question mark across the battery symbol. The very nice lady at customer service said "oh no, that's very unusual" she had me do several reboots and it didn't go away. They sent me out a new Kindle Fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2013 6:26:06 AM PST
Thanks so much for your kind words. I didn't mean to hurt your fragile feeling just trying to help people not buy the wrong battery. The next time I will ask you if it is alright to post something here.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2013 6:42:30 AM PST
The question mark means the device can't, for whatever reason, get a read on the meter of the battery. It can't tell what % the battery has.

Try installing Battery HD, then put the Fire on the charger and LEAVE it alone for like 8-12 hours. Ignore the light. Ignore the screen. Do nothing for 8-12 hours.

UNPLUG it. Do a reset (the 30-second hold-the-power-button-in thing). Wait a sec. Press Power again and let it boot back up. See if that doesn't make the ? go away.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2013 6:43:31 AM PST
*golf clap* +1 for snark content. Of course, I'm way too obtuse to care. But well done.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2013 2:24:47 AM PST
John F. Bishop, in addition to all the good advice on this thread, here are some other things to consider when trying to assess your battery:

Get the free app Android Assistant and you can see if anything may be draining your battery. I had a problem with my Fire HD and used AA and another great app called Battery HD to find out that my Audiobook app was turning itself on unbidden and dragging my battery down in no time.

Battery HD is a great tool for managing your battery. You can even set it to announce vocally when the charge level you set has been reached, both for discharge and recharge. You can also set it to be quiet at night so it doesn't wake you up speaking to you about your battery.

Hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2013 4:09:44 AM PST
Gail - the loose charger port on the 1st gen Fire is a known problem. Contact Customer Service and demand a replacement. They are replacing these even after warranty has expired because it is clearly a manufacturing fault.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2013 10:17:00 AM PST
Gail says:
thanks Bruce so much for your help.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  18
Initial post:  Jan 13, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 20, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions