Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Uploading books so they show up as books, not as "personal documents"?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 19, 2013 4:50:07 AM PDT
mike palmer says:
Is there a way to upload non-amazon books to the cloud (by emailing them to @kindle.com) so they are recognized as BOOKS and not as "personal documents"?

They're all .mobi files and are clearly books, but for whatever reason they just don't get sorted that way, and they all have that ugly "Personal Documents" banner obscuring half the cover art in Cover View. Am I doing something wrong?

Posted on Jul 19, 2013 6:35:38 AM PDT
Charlie says:
Your best place to research this and to ask questions is mobileread.com. There are multiple threads about this, with many tips on how to try to do this using Calibre.

Although Amazon calls them Personal Documents rather than Books, I do find that the last page read syncing between devices, highlights, notes, and related features do work.

I tried several different ways to try to get Amazon to see the documents as books, but didn't have much success.
I just gave up and changed to list view.

Posted on Jul 19, 2013 6:56:31 AM PDT
S. Dunham says:
There is no way for us to change non-Amazon purchases to show up as BOOKs instead of Personal Documents. Generally, I send books through the free.kindle.com, so they will be in my archives. Even though they are eBooks in MOBI, PDF, or HTML formats, they will always be classified as Personal Documents. The best thing to do is to email kindle-feedback@amazon.com and ask if it can be done.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2013 7:07:38 AM PDT
mike palmer says: "Is there a way to upload non-amazon books to the cloud (by emailing them to @kindle.com) so they are recognized as BOOKS and not as 'personal documents'?"

No. Amazon adds the metadata tag to the files to mark them as personal documents. The only way to do it is to use calibre to set the PDOC metadata tag to be empty and then put them in your Kindle yourself using the USB cable.

Posted on Jul 19, 2013 7:35:04 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 19, 2013 7:37:36 AM PDT
Thomas, the only problem with what you suggest is that it only gets saved to the physical device storage instead of archived in the Kindle cloud.

I don't believe there is anyway to send a book to the Kindle and archive via Send to Kindle without the "personal document" banner showing because when you think about it, everything you send to/place on your Kindle that's not Kindle content from Amazon is going to be considered a personal document according to Amazon. I've sent different types of documents to my Kindle, books, forms, documents, etc., using S2K and they all show up with that personal documents banner. I can see how it might be annoying (doesn't bother me at all) but I would think that having non-Kindle content saved to the Kindle cloud and having it safe and available if accidentally deleted from your device is worth the minor annoyance from the banner that appears.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2013 7:45:45 AM PDT
Mike, there is a metadata tag called "CDE Type" with a value of "EBOK" that controls this, but it cannot be added manually to your files. Amazon will add it during file upload to KDP, but if you try to add it to the metadata yourself it will be removed by Kindlegen.

Calibre, however, will add it during conversion, so that's an option, so long as you're transferring the files via USB. If you send the file via "Send to Kindle" or any transfer method that passes through Amazon, the metadata tag will be deleted.

Also, bear in mind that Calibre can only convert reflowable ebooks, and not fixed layout files, so you cannot do this for comics or children's books that use fixed layout formatting.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Jul 19, 2013
Latest post:  Jul 19, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions