Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

all costs connected to kindle fire

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-23 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 5, 2011 3:57:30 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2011 4:04:20 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2011 5:37:24 AM PDT
It will cost you the $199 to buy the Kindle plus the costs of a broadband connection with wifi router at your home plus the cost of the Amazon Prime membership ($79 per year). Then you'll have to buy the ebooks or read free ones and rent or buy movies and TV shows to stream or download. And maybe buy apps for the Fire.

Have I missed anything?

Edit: Corrected the above as advised below. Thanks, SeaLevel 274. :>)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2011 4:21:57 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2011 4:22:17 AM PDT
SeaLevel274 says:
I think you meant "or read free ones". Otherwise you have it pretty well covered.

Posted on Nov 5, 2011 4:42:00 AM PDT
A. Sisk says:
Well, you don't NEED the Amazon Prime, do you? (Although it seems logical to get the most out of .)

Posted on Nov 5, 2011 4:42:39 AM PDT
The Prime membership is optional, not required. You'll get a month free with the Fire and then decide if you want to renew.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2011 4:17:52 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 6, 2011 4:22:26 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2011 4:23:46 AM PST
Trimmer says:
I guess if you really want to maximize the use, you'd want a mobile hotspot so you could stream almost anywhere. I'm not sure what that would cost (I get unlimited 4G for $24 a month, but that's through work. Not sure what everybody else pays.).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2011 4:25:37 AM PST
Cassie Anne says:
It's $199 for the device. Any other costs (Prime, books, movies, mobile hotspot) depend on your usage/needs. We couldn't begin to speculate...

Posted on Nov 6, 2011 6:57:44 AM PST
If you already have wi fi in your home....additional required costs will be zero. If you choose books, games, apps, thats extra, but you choose items at the grocery store too. The fire is the device. Choices beyond that are up to you. You go to the grocery store and grab a cart, large or small, and pay for what you put into it, whether its rice and beans, or steak and caviar. All choices.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2011 6:59:33 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2011 7:01:40 AM PST
$6,329 per year. That's based on me reading your mind and determining how much you read and what movies you rent. You have expensive tastes.

I also called your Internet provider and got a list of broadband plans so you could have wi-fi at home. The installation is scheduled for next Wednesday between 8am and noon. Be home or they'll charge you $50 for a missed visit.

Posted on Nov 6, 2011 7:04:11 AM PST
Eric, you are a hoot!! I hope you weren't referring to me, considering I only watch movies if someone else wants to watch a movie...watching movies alone is just not fun, which is one reason why I am going to use a lot of the prime and see if my old habits can be adjusted. As for books...ha ha ha ha ha...I am so cheap...95% have been free...although I do have a couple steaks in the freezer. No caviar.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2011 7:07:28 AM PST
Thanks Jayne... I was responding to Salvatore... If you look in the upper right corner of a post, you can see a link next to the date and time of the post that shows what is being responded to.

You couldn't pay me to eat caviar. Ironically, I like sushi, but caviar is just salty nastiness.

Posted on Nov 6, 2011 10:57:36 AM PST
I suppose you could save the cost of home Wi-Fi by not having it, and then going to Burger King, or Starbucks, or such, to use their Wi-Fi to download books.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2011 11:56:12 AM PST
If my personal economy took a dive, I would start eliminating things one at a time, phone, tv, truck, but the internet would be last, and if I had to go to Starbucks, I would do that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2011 1:38:57 PM PST
C. Scilley says:
A Kindle Fire owner will not have to buy the Prime membership. If they did not they just could not use the movies that are streamed for free. They could just buy or rent them instead. So really the only necessary cost to the OP is $199 for the fire, plus tax, and cost of internet service with a wifi router.
Carolyn

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2011 1:41:26 PM PST
C. Scilley says:
Jayne, I am with you on that. My internet service would be last to go. LOL!
Carolyn

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2011 1:51:44 PM PST
I could expand on the list of other things that would go first. Eating at restaurants for sure. Paying for a Sams annual membership...oh so go....I could pass on chips, and cold drinks, but family might fuss on that one. Guess I would have to keep getting my prescriptions...one especially....but I bet I could find a cheaper part D, and only go to doc twice a year instead of four. The only thing that would win over it for sure is God and family, but they always win...well, at least the first one....

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2012 4:53:33 AM PDT
Skyshiel says:
hahahahah

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2012 5:13:43 AM PDT
Erich, that is incorrect. You have failed to include cost calculations for electricity usage to charge the Fire, adapted lights inside the house to reduce glare, additional traveling costs to find shaded arreas and the frappuchinos that are being consumed whenever he's at Starbucks to stream...

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2012 5:25:33 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 16, 2012 5:26:10 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2012 5:26:45 AM PDT
5 months old Jeff, November of 2011.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2012 5:27:03 AM PDT
Don't forget the fuel surcharge!

Posted on Apr 16, 2012 5:49:42 AM PDT
NG says:
Don't forget the cost of coffee. $5 bucks a day if you use Starbucks to get your wifi, or$7.99 per week from Safeway. (Less if you have to get a blood test and they won't let you have coffee during your morning Fire time.)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
News: Kindle for iOS Software Update 4.6
0 Dec 15, 2014
Announcement
Simon & Schuster Agreement
0 Oct 20, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
Conversations with Echo 523 34 seconds ago
CAN'T Amazon make a system of notification for Ebooks about to be PULLED/DISCONTINUED? 125 2 minutes ago
FREE Books & Chat - Wed January 28, 2015 21 2 minutes ago
my computer Kindle App stopped working! 4 2 minutes ago
is there an app for that? 5893 9 minutes ago
Back-Up 14 11 minutes ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Home of Super Hero Sisters, Panama, Many Furry Friends, Featuring Fat Jane the Spanx Wearing Goat, and Cherie! It's the Apocalypse! 2030 12 minutes ago
RAoK 79/80 - Tis the Season, and the end of the year! 9351 16 minutes ago
Kindle Voyage - Documented Issues 404 18 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  23
Initial post:  Nov 5, 2011
Latest post:  Apr 16, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions