Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Fire HD is a brick...any ideas?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 8, 2014 10:22:46 PM PST
Ray says:
It appears that my Kindle Fire HD 7" received a bad software update and has become non-responsive; even though I/we never downloaded an update. The current version is 7.4.6_user_4620220. My wife was on the phone with tech support for over 2 hours with no results. Then she was told to "buy a new one!?!" This unit is only 14 months old.
Symptoms:
1) The touch screen is extremely unresponsive. This means that I must repeatedly swipe the unlock button and HOPE the system unlocks. 50% of the time it will unlock and then restart.
2) Once I have access to the OS it is sluggish and non-responsive with popup windows stating: Launcher has stopped; Mobile security has stopped; Facebook has stopped; etc.
3) 60% of the time I have a blank screen with only the time, my name and battery charge showing. Also, the bottom home, back and search buttons are showing but non-responsive.
4) Home page, etc is gone. I can from time to time get the settings screen.
5) My Kindle will NOT show up on my PC as a drive, so I cannot do a manual reload of the software update. Thought that might correct issues.
What I have done:
1) I have managed to do a factory reset at least 5 times with no results. It will go through the steps of deregistering, shutting down and starting up but the system is the same. It remembers my log-in credentials and my name/settings.
2) I have tried to do a manual delete of all apps, however, I do not have access to this.
3) System power meter is over 80% at all times so this is not the issue.
Question: can I do a manual wipe and reinstall of the OS?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2014 10:35:08 PM PST
If it remembers your name and login, it's not doing a proper factory reset. Factory reset should wipe all that. Frankly, it sounds to me as if you've picked up some malware.

Sorry, I know that doesn't offer any solution, but it may be a bit more of the puzzle info.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2014 10:35:22 PM PST
Raymond - I'd wait until Seattle business hours and contact them again. Ask to speak to a supervisor, if necessary.

TO CONTACT KINDLE CUSTOMER SERVICE:
Click on this link and fill in the information. https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/contact-us/kindle-help.html/?nodeId=200127470
You may have to sign in. I would use the PHONE or CHAT options.
Do NOT use e-Mail.
CALL ME under the PHONE tab is great if available.
They will call you within minutes.

To call them:
U.S. and Canada: 1-866-216-1072
Spanish Support: 1-866-749-7538
International: 1-206-266-2992

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2014 10:51:10 PM PST
CBRetriever says:
it's not the software as 7.4.6_user_4620220 is what's on mine and it's working perfectly

I'm thinking it might be something from an app (malware) or from a site you visited on the browser that had malware

and Pineapple has the best solution which is talk to Customer Service and they'll probably need to replace it
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Jan 8, 2014
Latest post:  Jan 8, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions