Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Fire HD is a brick...any ideas?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 8, 2014 10:22:46 PM PST
It appears that my Kindle Fire HD 7" received a bad software update and has become non-responsive; even though I/we never downloaded an update. The current version is 7.4.6_user_4620220. My wife was on the phone with tech support for over 2 hours with no results. Then she was told to "buy a new one!?!" This unit is only 14 months old.
Symptoms:
1) The touch screen is extremely unresponsive. This means that I must repeatedly swipe the unlock button and HOPE the system unlocks. 50% of the time it will unlock and then restart.
2) Once I have access to the OS it is sluggish and non-responsive with popup windows stating: Launcher has stopped; Mobile security has stopped; Facebook has stopped; etc.
3) 60% of the time I have a blank screen with only the time, my name and battery charge showing. Also, the bottom home, back and search buttons are showing but non-responsive.
4) Home page, etc is gone. I can from time to time get the settings screen.
5) My Kindle will NOT show up on my PC as a drive, so I cannot do a manual reload of the software update. Thought that might correct issues.
What I have done:
1) I have managed to do a factory reset at least 5 times with no results. It will go through the steps of deregistering, shutting down and starting up but the system is the same. It remembers my log-in credentials and my name/settings.
2) I have tried to do a manual delete of all apps, however, I do not have access to this.
3) System power meter is over 80% at all times so this is not the issue.
Question: can I do a manual wipe and reinstall of the OS?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2014 10:35:08 PM PST
If it remembers your name and login, it's not doing a proper factory reset. Factory reset should wipe all that. Frankly, it sounds to me as if you've picked up some malware.

Sorry, I know that doesn't offer any solution, but it may be a bit more of the puzzle info.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2014 10:35:22 PM PST
Raymond - I'd wait until Seattle business hours and contact them again. Ask to speak to a supervisor, if necessary.

TO CONTACT KINDLE CUSTOMER SERVICE:
Click on this link and fill in the information. https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/contact-us/kindle-help.html/?nodeId=200127470
You may have to sign in. I would use the PHONE or CHAT options.
Do NOT use e-Mail.
CALL ME under the PHONE tab is great if available.
They will call you within minutes.

To call them:
U.S. and Canada: 1-866-216-1072
Spanish Support: 1-866-749-7538
International: 1-206-266-2992

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2014 10:51:10 PM PST
CBRetriever says:
it's not the software as 7.4.6_user_4620220 is what's on mine and it's working perfectly

I'm thinking it might be something from an app (malware) or from a site you visited on the browser that had malware

and Pineapple has the best solution which is talk to Customer Service and they'll probably need to replace it
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
85° and Sunny - A Perfect Day to RAOK! 9515 5 minutes ago
Potentially Perky People - Part Deux 7678 7 minutes ago
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks III 9529 7 minutes ago
Kindle Fire cannot connect to internet 786 11 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #5: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food 8655 12 minutes ago
We're Quirky And We Know It! Come Witness The Howling Dink, Hussy Turkey Hens, And A Veritable Plethora Of Other Beasts! So Geese! 1625 16 minutes ago
Elephants Three at The Ģrandest Hotel - Part IV 4737 44 minutes ago
Kindle Fire will not charge 1 45 minutes ago
the main lock screen of my kindle fire hd is an ad. how to change? help! 127 46 minutes ago
Warning, Kindle Voyage gives you LESS. 109 50 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Jan 8, 2014
Latest post:  Jan 8, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions